Bohemian Gothic - Ace of Cups

brother Joseph

Although not altogether noticeable, the stem of this "cup" is actually the Hindu God Ganesh, sitting on his throne cross legged. complete with elephant head.

Although he is known by many other attributes, Ganesha's elephant head makes him easy to identify. Ganesh is widely revered as the Remover of Obstacles and more generally as Lord of Beginnings and Lord of Obstacles, patron of arts and sciences, intellect and wisdom. He is honoured at the beginning of rituals and ceremonies and invoked as Patron of Letters during writing sessions.

I also notice on the bottom of the cup, on the stand (or stone) which looks like it has no writing on there, there is the very faint outline of some pictures. It may well be a religious epic or story perhaps from the story of Krishna? There's something about it that reminds me of the Indian epics.

Also the whole background of the vase has a lot of clouds and to the left there is something but I cant make out what it is. Traditionally in Catholic Art that usually depicts the assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary or else the ascension of Jesus it but could be just about anything.