What is a good tarot reading?

Aina

Just a small heads up here - if you have read for someone here and not received feedback in a reasonable length of time, you should tell a moderator. People who do not feedback should not be getting readings until they do. I see your reading wasn't done that long ago, though - it can take a couple of days, so don't assume you won't get any ever !

Here are the moderators for the various areas - if it doesn't happen soon, get in touch with one for the area where you did the reading. That's what they are there for ! They'll help.

Thanks, Gregory, for the note. I'll give it 2 weeks. I have a friend too who gave me an amazing long 1 hr reading and months have past but I am very worried about giving her a reading because she is a professional reader and "I don't want to look stupid" as I am just a beginner :) I have this stage fright when doing a reading for someone who calls themselves "psychic" :) So remembering that, I kind of feel guilty and know that I deserve not to get a reading :(

gregory

I think 2 weeks is a lot to allow in Reading Exchange - that's very sweet of you !

A PROFESSIONAL reader will understand that you are just starting out. Don't worry about it !

Why not join in one of the circles here ? They are where we all learn - and that includes the most seasoned among us (which in terms of reading is NOT me !) I've seen a load of people who read for money IRL saying OMG I never thought of that before and things like that :D

Aina

I think 2 weeks is a lot to allow in Reading Exchange - that's very sweet of you !

A PROFESSIONAL reader will understand that you are just starting out. Don't worry about it !

Why not join in one of the circles here ? They are where we all learn - and that includes the most seasoned among us (which in terms of reading is NOT me !) I've seen a load of people who read for money IRL saying OMG I never thought of that before and things like that :D

:) I have actually asked people who have never read cards to read for me, including my 6 year old daughter and my "tarot hater" left brained husband. They loved having a go and told weirdest and most accurate things from completely different angles. So I guess, it's possible for everyone to read cards.

Reading circles sounds great. Not sure where to find them but will have to do a little browsing here. I have never done it with the others who read cards, so it would be quite exciting, I think.

Thanks, Gregory! ;)

seedcake

How can tarot help someone? Only reflecting them like a mirror? I think going further than that and saying things like "I see you were born near the sea and you had 2 siblings" when in "How will my work go? is a little unrealistic for me.

Many people don't look inside themselves and often they need a look in the mirror even more than anything else.

Nemia

I think you might profit from reading Mary Greers "Tarot for Yourself" and working through the exercises in the book. It will really give you insight into the workings of tarot, first of all for yourself. Before you can tell people where they left their car keys, you have to understand how the archetypes in the tarot are connected to you.

You live in India. Maybe your cultural roots are very different from the deck you are using? If the elements etc seem forced to you, maybe you haven't yet found a deck that speaks to your intuition?

Btw, from the stories you are telling, you seem to do well! I had my first tarot reading in 1983 and started to seriously learn read myself some time in the early 90s. I feel that I know nothing.

Just give it time. A good reading is like a good conversation you are having with the cards. In some conversations you learn something new, in others you go over the things you know already, in some conversations mostly sad topics come up, in others you open up your soul, and again others are very practical and even a bit gossipy. Even a conversation without a "proper outcome" can be very good, and even a controversy can give you a push you need. There are no rules. That's at least my take on it.

And about the smell: blocked drain was also my first thought, either kitchen or bathroom. It might be necessary to search in a covered place. Pouring in baking soda and vinegar might be worth a try. No harsher chemicals, nothing that might hurt when you breathe it in.

Actually for questions of this kind, I use a pendulum. Or used to use a pendulum, I prefer the cards now.

Aina

I think you might profit from reading Mary Greers "Tarot for Yourself" and working through the exercises in the book. It will really give you insight into the workings of tarot, first of all for yourself. Before you can tell people where they left their car keys, you have to understand how the archetypes in the tarot are connected to you.

You live in India. Maybe your cultural roots are very different from the deck you are using? If the elements etc seem forced to you, maybe you haven't yet found a deck that speaks to your intuition?

Btw, from the stories you are telling, you seem to do well! I had my first tarot reading in 1983 and started to seriously learn read myself some time in the early 90s. I feel that I know nothing.

Just give it time. A good reading is like a good conversation you are having with the cards. In some conversations you learn something new, in others you go over the things you know already, in some conversations mostly sad topics come up, in others you open up your soul, and again others are very practical and even a bit gossipy. Even a conversation without a "proper outcome" can be very good, and even a controversy can give you a push you need. There are no rules. That's at least my take on it.

And about the smell: blocked drain was also my first thought, either kitchen or bathroom. It might be necessary to search in a covered place. Pouring in baking soda and vinegar might be worth a try. No harsher chemicals, nothing that might hurt when you breathe it in.

Actually for questions of this kind, I use a pendulum. Or used to use a pendulum, I prefer the cards now.

Hello Nemia and big thanks for your post! I haven't read "Tarot for Yourself" yet but I've read "21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card" and "78 Degrees of Wisdom". Both are very good books and have loads on info on how to use tarot. However I didn't work with the 21 ways yet.

The funny thing about the smell is that it's still there and I wasn't able to work out where does it come from but I have a feeling it's from the old boxed Indian air-conditioner as it has had a dead mouse in it before, it could have now too.

I am not good with pendulum. Maybe tried it thrice. Also I am not totally sure how to use it although I have one stone on a thread somewhere in the "tarot room".

You are totally right about the conversations with tarot. That's the way I see my tarot, as someone to talk to, ask for advice and it does have it's own style. I am not sure what it is but it's thrilling. :)