Obsessed with Keeping Decks Pristine

Grizabella

er ... Because if you're used to a really well-worn softened deck, a crisp one might feel dreadfully stiff in your hands?

Good point. I've been given two new decks in the last couple of months and my poor hands are definitely feeling the strain. :) I've been giving readings in the exchange forum with the new decks. I put the deck on my electric blanket for awhile in the mornings before shuffling.

Chimera Dust

Before I post, I just wanted to give people a quick heads up. OCD is an actual disorder that people have, it's not something you "are". Unless you (not singling out anyone, many people have) feel actual distress and fear, you probably don't have OCD. I'm not trying to discount anyone's experience and obviously some of you who have used that to talk about how they feel may genuinely have it. However, when people who don't have OCD use it as an adjective to mean being slightly picky about something, it can be a bit offensive. It's like saying someone is "bipolar" just because their mood changed rapidly and they're not actually bipolar. It just discounts how much anguish and pain a disorder can cause to people who have it and sometimes it ends up adding to stereotypes or the idea that people who do suffer because of those things are exaggerating (for example, when people tell people who have depression that they're not depressed, everyone just feels a bit sad sometimes so they should quit complaining). ;)

Back on-topic, I don't try to keep my decks pristine. I actually enjoy looking at decks that seem worn, it gives them personality! :cool5: Though of course, I can see why some people would want their decks to look intact, especially if they're limited editions or rare decks that can't be easily replaced.

Nemia

Thank you, Chimera Dust - I felt uncomfortable with the use of OCD in this context but didn't know whether it's accepted use in English or not. (A dear friend of mine is a sufferer and it's crippling.)

My decks are clean and I keep them wrapped in little bags I made for them in a lovely box full of incense. I handle them with clean hands and don't riffle shuffle them. I lay them out on a nice clean cloth.

But I also carry them around, I let others touch them, and if the borders disturb me, I cut them off. I shuffle them for the fun of it. And I actually appreciate the advice on how to make hard decks softer. I really like it when they begin to show signs of wear. Like shoes - the golden point where they're no longer factory-made new but also not yet ratty and worn out, but just broken in and fitting MY feet.

My trusty old Thoth is with me for quite some time. Other decks are brand new. It's appropriate that they don't look the same.

I'm no longer in pristine condition. Time that passes leaves traces. I don't want to fight it. I can't fight it anyway.

No, I don't want my decks to look pristine. I like them to age well in careful, loving hands.

skipbosco

My first deck, a Ludy Lescot deck....I mean, I wore that thang out in about a month...but the 1st ding? Well. MADE ME CRAZY. I immediately ordered a new one....but it reminded me of the 1st ding I put in my first guitar...which MADE ME CRAZY, too, but after I reflected on it I realized that at this point I see them as MY dings, which only make them more my guitar, my deck. So, I work to take care of my decks, but don't really worry about the pristine thing...

nisaba

My first deck, a Ludy Lescot deck....I mean, I wore that thang out in about a month...but the 1st ding? Well. MADE ME CRAZY. I immediately ordered a new one....but it reminded me of the 1st ding I put in my first guitar...which MADE ME CRAZY, too, but after I reflected on it I realized that at this point I see them as MY dings, which only make them more my guitar, my deck. So, I work to take care of my decks, but don't really worry about the pristine thing...

<grin> As long as I'm not sitting next to you when you put that first ding in your car to make it really yours ...