How do feel about electronic tarot?

La-Scorciere

I have the Galaxy app on my Kindle Fire and I enjoy it as a study tool. It's nice to tap on a card and be able to see the Runes, Planets, crystals, and IChing tiles that correspond to the card in question. I also enjoy the card of the day option, which has been eerily accurate on more than one occasion. Having said all that, I don't use it for readings, just for fun.

TarotFlow

It is nice when you get the book, and large pictures in an app, but i don't use it for drawings. I miss the feeling of energi in my hands.

Catgirl

Galaxy Tarot Updates

The Galaxy Tarot app has been updated. The free app now offers 5 spreads (2-card, 3-card, 4-card, 7-card relationship spread, and a Celtic Cross) and 15 additional spreads that can be unlocked for 99 cents each, or you can upgrade to the paid app and have access to all of them. I think previously the free app only included 3 spreads, and did not have the option to purchase any additional a la carte. The shuffling feature works a little differently now, and now allows you to cut the deck as well as shuffle.

When you do a reading from the app, several new items are added: Checkboxes for "Allow Reversed Cards" and "Use Major Arcana only." Before it was just full deck, no reversals, so now you have options. Also, if you like, you can type in a question before each reading.

Some of the icon names have been changed. Spreads is actually now labeled "New Reading." What was previously called Encyclopedia, is now called "Browse Cards," which is more accurate, because all it contained was a card directory anyway (illustrations and meanings for a full deck of RWS style cards), not any additional information such as history of the tarot or descriptions of different kinds of decks which would have made it seem moire encyclopedia-like.

There are probably other changes, but that's what I've noticed so far.

Laura Borealis

I like the TarotBot apps because of the historic decks. I have the Soprafino, Visconti, Vacchetta, Noblet and Dodal. High quality scans of beautiful cards -- and they were free! But I use the apps to look at the cards and compare details, rather than reading with them.

Lilianne

I'm a Luddite here. Yes, these aps might be convenient but I absolutely hate these licensing agreements you have to sign up to. When I buy a deck or a book, it's mine and I have only to conform to the copyright law. And I don't want to surrender more freedoms to technology than I have to. A deck will last longer than these gadgets and is far less fragile, doesn't need batteries or charging and the inconvenience that can cause.

As BBC Watchdog managed to tease out, the life expectancy of a Kindle is about 3 years. If I bought one I'd have to accept the T&C, which I wasn't prepared to do!! I also read the reviews on Amazon and about 15% of customers had reason to be dissatisfied. Smartphone contracts are generally a ripoff (as again, brought up with monotonous regularity on Watchdog).

I'm ok about having a computer because I can do many things on it and a mobile phone is useful but I'm unlikely to fill the coffers of a profit-greedy consumer electronics industry. I have no wish to worship at the altar of St. Steve Jobs!!

staticfuzz

I really like the Galaxy Tarot app. I don't have the pro version (yet), so I don't think I can save any of the readings, which is the only drawback, and it's not a big one. Unlike a lot of people on the thread, I do use it for reading and less for study, and usually use it when I'm out of the house or have limited time. My readings have been really clear and accurate with it.

I also have the Druid Plants & Animals Oracles from the Fool's Dog. I couldn't resist the artwork but it's not tarot and I don't connect to it as much. I still do a daily card though, and I do like it.

My friends think I have the "magic touch" with electronics, and I love love love the internet and computers, so maybe that has something to do with it ;)

Starri Knytes

I really like the Galaxy Tarot app. I don't have the pro version (yet), so I don't think I can save any of the readings, which is the only drawback, and it's not a big one. Unlike a lot of people on the thread, I do use it for reading and less for study, and usually use it when I'm out of the house or have limited time. My readings have been really clear and accurate with it.

I have the Pro version of Galaxy Tarot. Love it as a reference and for the card of the day. I don't believe that I've used it for readings since going pro. :thinking:

I'll have to check out the Oracles now that you've mentioned it.

Annabelle

I prefer reading with a physical deck, but about 65% of the time I find myself reading with tarot apps on my phone or tablet instead. I always have a phone or other device with me; I don't always have an actual deck with me.

Starri Knytes

I prefer reading with a physical deck, but about 65% of the time I find myself reading with tarot apps on my phone or tablet instead. I always have a phone or other device with me; I don't always have an actual deck with me.

Do you pull your own cards or let the app auto select?

Annabelle

Do you pull your own cards or let the app auto select?

Good question! I almost always select my own cards, unless I'm just letting the app give me a "card of the day."