What is a good tarot reading?

poppiesrossi

Well a good tarot reading is the one who answers the questions of the sitter and also empowers the sitter.

I had my journey with Tarot, I had my journey with the tarot readers who abused their power to prey on the vulnerable to make money. I think if you come with the right intentions which is to *help people* and be an ethical reader, then you will do this community a great service.

There are some who are naturally gifted like any other profession and there are some who had to work for years to hone their craft. Every reader's journey is different. I do agree developing your intuition will only strengthen your reading abilities.

Aina

According to what you wrote you are doing well. Reading for only a year you are still in the infant stage, you are just now crawling, just getting ready to stand. I had mentors when learning, but I had no internet, or no books,very different than today. Just this site alone would have been magical for me. You need to learn the alphabet of tarot before you can read it. The element are very important. I would suggest it is time to find a study group, not on the internet but face to face, or find a teacher. Learning tarot is one thing, reading is another. Opening up and listening to your intuition is very important. I guess am biased, I only do readings in person, very old school as they say. You are just beginning a wonderful jourey, I am at the end of mine I am no longer taking on new clients, yet I feel that I am still learning after decades and decades of reading for people. Take your time and enjoy the journey, your skills will develop in time, practice, practice, practice.

Thanks, PAMUYA for the reply. Happy to hear that I'm at the infant stage, actually. That means there is more and more to Tarot than it seems. I always feel as if I cannot see the depth of the reading. Have read about elements but haven't tried applying them yet. Also, some say they are unimportant (?!). I thought I'll do that later, when I'm better with meanings alone. In any case, I hope time and practice will help me to overcome my "learning obstacles" :) Yes, I also have been thinking about people who learn from their grandmothers and aunts. Usually the teaching is very straightforward and the meanings seem blunt but these people become the best in reading as they manage to avoid the "millions of contradicting theories" thing. Again, appreciate your reply, take care!

Aina

I agree that you're still a "Tarot toddler". When you're learning it's always important to make people aware of the fact that you're still learning. Almost anyone who becomes aware that you're using the cards gets excited and wants a reading. Either that or they'll want to save you from the fires of hell. But you should tell them how new you are and that you aren't fully able to give a polished reading. If they still want a reading, just do the best you can.

When I first picked up the cards I thought it would take me maybe a month tops to learn card meanings and I'd be a bona fide Tarot reader. Fun, fun, fun. Right? Wrong! Try 15 years...and still learning! I started doing readings for others for practice pretty early on though, but I was sure to tell my sitters I was new at it and I never charged money back then.

There really isn't a particular way Tarot is supposed to work. If you dedicate yourself to the study of the cards and apply yourself, then the way it works for you will develop and in time it will get easier and you'll have more confidence. Spend a lot of time here reading posts, asking questions. Everything you need to know is here somewhere. There's a gold mine of information here. And for it, all you have to pay is attention. :)

Thanks, Grizabella for your reply and advice! Yes, I do indeed tell everybody that I'm new and "I can't do it well" and try to put it more like "an entertainment" thing. You are right. Everybody wants a reading. People usually do not know that a Tarot reader should have been doing it for 10, 15 or so years to perform a decent reading. As they never ever tried Tarot, they also think the study of 1 month is enough and "everything's in the pictures" anyway :) So they imagine that if you know the meanings, you know how to read cards. I surely don't charge the money but I keep asking for a feedback. Yes, and I think I will have to stick to AT and read posts more attentively. I was not on At for a few months but I keep coming back when I can't take no more answerless questions on Tarot. :)

Aina

hi aina,
well, i've only been studying the tarot for about a year and a half; i'm still a beginner too, so keep that in mind!
but yes, i know what you mean. i feel like learning tarot is like learning a language: you learn the words for things, you start learning how to make sentences, you figure out how to conjugate verbs... but how long does it take before you can speak fluently? when a native speaker of this new language starts talking to you, how long before you really know what they're saying? and on top of that, there's humor, slang, and tons of other nuances that take a while to get the hang of.
anyway, that was a really long analogy, but that's how i look at tarot: the numerology, color symbolism, kaballah, astrology... those are the verbs and the adjectives of tarot, and one day, if i keep at it, i'll be able to speak the language, and you will, too. :)

so - about the readings you posted:

maybe you're asking the wrong kind of questions? finding lost objects is something i know people read on, but the result is either "wrong" or "right". tarot can also be used for more open-ended questions, like "what should i be doing to prepare for this upcoming change in my life?" or, "how can i improve my relationship with my father-in-law?". hard-and-fast, yes-or-no questions seem much more confusing and frustrating to beginners, from what i've seen.
that being said, it also seems that when locating a lost object, people often take the cards very literally. for instance:

i would say that the kitchen is a good bet: all those cups (dishes) and water! also, the bird holds a wafer in its mouth. then again, temperance is dipping her toes into the water, so possibly the bathroom as well? going back to the ace of cups, the bird seems significant; perhaps there is a painting with a bird, a room with lots of birds outside the window, something that has feathers on it.
but the four of pentacles - i always think of him as a miser. financially stable, yes, but tight-fisted. perhaps there's a link to frugality: some food that has been expired but hasn't been thrown out, an area where someone doesn't want you to go, some secret stash of something gone bad.

anyway, just a few ideas. i know i didn't answer all your questions, but i really think that if you hang in there, you'll just keep learning and improving! good luck! :)

Hey, VioletEye, thanks so much for your post! It was indeed very helpful. Yes, I guess, reading Tarot literally can be a good idea and I've never thought of the 4 of Pentacles as "miser" card and finding a painting with birds. Wow, there is an embroidery "painting" with birds in that room! 4 of Pents can be saying it's "square" and Temperance may refer to something getting wet. Thinking of that, food and mice have water in them. Or it can be the bathroom that is in the next room as the painting used to hang on the same wall where the bathroom of the next room was. Great ideas! :)

Aina

Simply put, a good Tarot reading is a reading which gives you pointers for improving your life.

Your original question was very complex - I'll come back to it when I have more time.

Thanks nisaba! I appreciate that! :)

Aina

I liked the previous poster's interpretation about the kitchen and bathroom area's? the cups and water elements are also telling me this could be a ''damp smell'' coming maybe from a blocked drain - 4 of pents -this card is stable and also rigid i was just getting an out or inside drain image in my head don't ask me why?

Also Temperance can be to do with chemicals so this might mean you will need to try an unblock something using this?

Just some ideas[/Q]

Thanks Luna-Ocean for the interpretation! It also makes perfect sense. 4 of Pents can mean "to be stuck", our pipes get blocked very often and often - cause of rain and leaves outside. In my readings, 4 of Pents almost always is "body", like human body, physical body, flesh etc. Maybe some "body" is stuck in pipes, like a small animal. Never knew the Temperance can be "chemicals". Anyway your reading gave me some good new ideas, thanks for that!

Aina

Well a good tarot reading is the one who answers the questions of the sitter and also empowers the sitter.

I had my journey with Tarot, I had my journey with the tarot readers who abused their power to prey on the vulnerable to make money. I think if you come with the right intentions which is to *help people* and be an ethical reader, then you will do this community a great service.

There are some who are naturally gifted like any other profession and there are some who had to work for years to hone their craft. Every reader's journey is different. I do agree developing your intuition will only strengthen your reading abilities.

Thanks, poppiesrossi, I am almost sure I am the type who needs to learn a lot to be able to be good :) I think if the Tarot reading doesn't help people, it's useless. I am also ready to do it for free, as long as time permits because usually those who really need it cannot pay. Well, at least in the beginning, I think. Someone once said (I've read in some Tarot blog) that if the reader is "honest" and "do their best to help", they might actually really help, even if they are not that good. I guess, it's similar when someone is upset and you try to have a good conversation with them, that might help them. Talking alone seems to help people out. My mother-in-law just starts talking after opening 2 cards. She would not be interested in the reading anymore, she would just talk and that alone is what she really needs. Some people get "prescribed books" after the reading because the spread that are filled with swords simply show ther fears and "sad thoughts" that have nothing to do with reality. So the tarot readings that I do are usually ice breakers to talk and communicate with people that come over to our house. Well, something like that. Yes, I guess everyone will have to travel their unique tarot journey. Thanks for your post ;)

nisaba

When using tarot, I do not understand what are "elements". I know it's fire, air, water and earth. Why them?
Because they're traditional. The Ancient Greeks thought that all substances were made up of those four things. Fire for the energy or life-force, Air for breath or spirit, Water and Earth for the physical.

I like collecting decks and I like shuffling. However I do not have any questions to ask.
<smile> So enjoy collecting and enjoy shuffling. Someone once said it's the easiest way to collect art: in a small house you can only hang a few pictures, but you can keep seventy-eight of them in your pocket and thousands of them in a small house. :)

There's no rule that says you can't own Tarot decks if you don't want to read with them.

Now how is tarot supposed to work? What for? (Please don't tell that I shouldn't use it if I don't know what it's for). I started using tarot for two reasons:

1) To talk to someone wise;
2) To learn the language of symbolism which I needed for my art.
It doesn't matter HOW it's supposed to work, as long as it does work. Think about cars. I am very, very good at driving cars. I don't know the first thing about their engines and about being a mechanic. I don't need to know how a car works in order to drive it.

Now about the readings. Let's say I have 3 cards. The question is "where does this (horrible) smell come from"?

The cards are: ACE OF CUPS - 4 OF PENTACLES - TEMPERANCE (Rider Waite deck)

So am I right saying that:

"The smell is definitely in the house and posibly in the kind of place in the house that is considered as "the fire of home", the centre, the coziest spot where the family likes to gather. It is also possble that this place is near water. (Ace of Cups)
You might be right in saying that, because if that is how yuou read the symbolism of the cards, that is how they will give you messages. If I read those same three cards for the question, though, the Ace Cups tells me that the small is coming from somewhere damp, or from a wet-room, a room with taps in it like a kitchen or bathroom. The Four Pentacles tells me it's coming from somewhere enclosed, so I'd be thinking bathroom cupboards or under sinks. And Temperance tells me that if I wait long enough, the smell will go away of its own accord. See?

Some people have come to me with help of using their car papers, golden earings etc However in both cases they couldn't find them. WHY???
Just today, I had a client ask me where her mother's grey cardigan was. I thought it was a wasted question.

So how do you feel what the tarot is referring to when spread out?
I don't know. I just start talking and it all starts making sense.

Do you have any advice on how to achieve more clarity and understanding of what the cards are actually saying and which of the cases is which?
I think it is just practice and experience. The older I get the more readings I have done, and the more readings I have done, the less often I get stuck.

Also is there any good card reading sample on the net that I could get a look at?
Why not have a look at some of the readings in the exchange circles right here?

Aina

Because they're traditional. The Ancient Greeks thought that all substances were made up of those four things. Fire for the energy or life-force, Air for breath or spirit, Water and Earth for the physical.

<smile> So enjoy collecting and enjoy shuffling. Someone once said it's the easiest way to collect art: in a small house you can only hang a few pictures, but you can keep seventy-eight of them in your pocket and thousands of them in a small house. :)

There's no rule that says you can't own Tarot decks if you don't want to read with them.

It doesn't matter HOW it's supposed to work, as long as it does work. Think about cars. I am very, very good at driving cars. I don't know the first thing about their engines and about being a mechanic. I don't need to know how a car works in order to drive it.

You might be right in saying that, because if that is how yuou read the symbolism of the cards, that is how they will give you messages. If I read those same three cards for the question, though, the Ace Cups tells me that the small is coming from somewhere damp, or from a wet-room, a room with taps in it like a kitchen or bathroom. The Four Pentacles tells me it's coming from somewhere enclosed, so I'd be thinking bathroom cupboards or under sinks. And Temperance tells me that if I wait long enough, the smell will go away of its own accord. See?

Just today, I had a client ask me where her mother's grey cardigan was. I thought it was a wasted question.

I don't know. I just start talking and it all starts making sense.

I think it is just practice and experience. The older I get the more readings I have done, and the more readings I have done, the less often I get stuck.

Why not have a look at some of the readings in the exchange circles right here?

Nisaba, thanks for your wonderful answers. Sorry for the late reply. Your answers calmed me down a little. I think all is well with me now but probably I need to read and learn more on tarot as that will give me confidence.

For example, today my husband asked me if "he is usually right when he fights with me". Perhaps it was a little ironical question as he is a "tarot non believer" but the cards that fell (10 Wands - 10 Pentacles - 8 Swords) were pretty accurate. I just started talking and it turned out that there is no such thing as "right" as that is a rather subjective thing. 8 of Swords showed that whatever it was, it wasn't really very pleasant experience and probably wasn't "right" because it wasn't "useful".

The fact that symbols mean different things for different people, similarly like in dreams, really relaxed me a little because some people say that "you are using the wrong meanings!" or "tell me which card says that!" or "I have the same deck and in the LWB it's written that this card means this, therefore stop cheating and telling people the wrong info!" :) None of this happened to me but it happened to others. Anyway, I keep remembering these.

I have tried a reading exchange but haven't received the feedback yet. I hope next ones will be more successful :)

gregory

I have tried a reading exchange but haven't received the feedback yet. I hope next ones will be more successful :)
Just a small heads up here - if you have read for someone here and not received feedback in a reasonable length of time, you should tell a moderator. People who do not feedback should not be getting readings until they do. I see your reading wasn't done that long ago, though - it can take a couple of days, so don't assume you won't get any ever !

Here are the moderators for the various areas - if it doesn't happen soon, get in touch with one for the area where you did the reading. That's what they are there for ! They'll help.