"Are you a witch?"

Disa

It's not over. I'm in the South. I'd more likely be classified as a devil worshiper for reading tarot than a witch...the weird thing to me is, don't people ever watch TV? Or read anything online? I know you can't believe everything you see or read, but wouldn't it give people a broader perspective of things- IDK, it's so strange to me that people still live in their own little boxes.

Red_Ocean

It's ok Asbestos Mango, I too have been called a Witch to a Satanist just for reading cards and having a gift. Don't let it bother you. :)

Zechariah13

It's not over. I'm in the South. I'd more likely be classified as a devil worshiper for reading tarot than a witch...the weird thing to me is, don't people ever watch TV? Or read anything online? I know you can't believe everything you see or read, but wouldn't it give people a broader perspective of things- IDK, it's so strange to me that people still live in their own little boxes.

Ok, first off. i want you to know that overall i agree with you. People typically sit down and let someone tell them what to think.

BUT, i do have two contentions that i want to throw out there (not directed to you specifically but on the subject.)
1.) I am getting tired of the "Dont put me in your box" line, or any box-like reference. To ask someone to not put you in their box is to effectively ask them to not even try to understand you, as it is only after we put something in our box (we all live in our own boxes btw, some of us just dont seal the lid shut. I like having multiple boxes) that we realize it doesnt fit there. THEN we can either adjust our box, find a new box for it, throw the item out cause we want nothing to do with it, or try to jam it into a place that it doesnt really fit. Most people will try to do the last option, as the first option(changing the box) is really terrifying, as basic instinct says that things that are different are potentially threatening and its better to miss a blessing than invite a disaster. Most people shudder at the concept of redifining the definitions of their lives, which is what accepting differences honestly is. I dont condone bigotry or ignorance, but it's kindofa natural process.

2.)The Abrahamic Faiths (Judiasm, Christianity, Islam) have the rep for being the most intolerant, and all the pro-tolerance people are like "BOOOO!!! YOU CANT JUDGE PEOPLE IN OTHER CULTURES!!!!" and dont realize that they are doing just that. If people REALLY respected the right to believe what you want, than by necessity, you MUST accept that some people's faith is Excusive, i.e. there is only ONE right way. The reason that Christianity (cant speak for the other two very well) has such a rep for not tolerating gays, witches, other religions, etc... is that the doctrine is effectively "These other people have all been decieved by Satan, for only God (and note, not the idea of God, but Yahweh Specifically) is holy and good and we (the church) are to cast off ALL things of the world and live to God"
Now, this doesnt condone pretty much all of the shit the church tries to pull, and, if you look, you will find that 99.3% of things the church does has NO basis in the Scriptures they claim to live their lives by, but still. The argument is getting tired, because truthfully nobody, ON EITHER SIDE is looking past what affects them personally to judge objectively.
Sorry, i dont normally go on tirades. I am sorry that people accuse you of being a Satanist or anything else horrible they may say. But i am getting fed up with a whole bunch of shit right now and it all kinda exploded. I beg the pardon of everyone here if i stepped out of line there.

nisaba

"No, I'm not a witch."

"But you read Tarot cards."

"Yes. I do."

"So you're a witch."
At this point I'd be defining what a witch is. And if they'd annoyed me sufficiently, I'd be doing so in small baby-words, very slowly.

Asbestos Mango

nisaba- he hadn't annoyed me sufficiently just then, but over the next few days he grated my nerves so badly that I just won't talk to him anymore.

And really, it's not so much an issue for me of someone trying to make me fit into their little box, so much as it is the idea that this guy made an assumption about me based on next to no evidence, and stuck to that assumption even when I told him his assumption was wrong.

I mean, I don't wear pentagram jewelry, I don't greet people by saying "Blessed be" (although I think it's a very nice thing to say to people), I just read Tarot cards. Lots of people read Tarot cards who don't worship nature deities, cast spells or dance in the woods without their drawers on (although I think it would be a lot of fun to dance in the woods without my drawers on, but I would prefer to do it when nobody was watching).

Oh, he also asked me if Tarot cards would draw evil spirits. I said, "No, don't be silly." And later he asked me about it again.

Zechariah13

And really, it's not so much an issue for me of someone trying to make me fit into their little box, so much as it is the idea that this guy made an assumption about me based on next to no evidence, and stuck to that assumption even when I told him his assumption was wrong.
if he is a Christian (and therefore instructed to never even investigate other religions, lest you open the door to Satan) than tarot cards are all the evidence he needs to consider you a witch, as Tarot is linked to Divination which is a type of Witchcraft (in the eyes of the church)

I mean, I don't wear pentagram jewelry, I don't greet people by saying "Blessed be" (although I think it's a very nice thing to say to people), I just read Tarot cards. Lots of people read Tarot cards who don't worship nature deities, cast spells or dance in the woods without their drawers on
Building off the last point: to the uninformed, Pentagrams make you a Satanist, Tarot cards make you a witch

Oh, he also asked me if Tarot cards would draw evil spirits. I said, "No, don't be silly." And later he asked me about it again.
Once again, if he belongs in the camp i think he subscribes to, then yes, as far as he is doctrinally concerned, using tarot DOES summon evil spirits, regardless of whether or not YOU think they do.

Of course, if he posed these inquiries the way you made it seem like he did, he is probably just hashing out what he was told by someone behind a pulpit, or on the other side of the dinner table.

Rhinemaiden

I have a sign on my desk at work... "the witch is in"...

and I would have replied "yes, I am... but some people spell it with a B" ;)

Kreative-Dragon

"wait, you're a Christian?"
"yeah I am."
"And you believe in science and evolution?"
"...yeah, it makes sense with my faith."
"...And you read Tarot cards and other divination?"
"...Yeah... is that a problem?"
"You're not a Christian then."

"You're right, you got me. I go to church for the after service food."

Christians get stuck in boxes too. Why can't we all just play nicely with our own toys? or does that sound to Aspie ish? :p

Asbestos Mango

if he is a Christian (and therefore instructed to never even investigate other religions, lest you open the door to Satan) than tarot cards are all the evidence he needs to consider you a witch, as Tarot is linked to Divination which is a type of Witchcraft (in the eyes of the church)

Building off the last point: to the uninformed, Pentagrams make you a Satanist, Tarot cards make you a witch

Once again, if he belongs in the camp i think he subscribes to, then yes, as far as he is doctrinally concerned, using tarot DOES summon evil spirits, regardless of whether or not YOU think they do.

Of course, if he posed these inquiries the way you made it seem like he did, he is probably just hashing out what he was told by someone behind a pulpit, or on the other side of the dinner table.

And yet, he asked me for a reading the next day...

Debra

Many people have never met a witch that they know of. I'll bet he's just curious and perhaps a bit clumsy at expressing his curiosity. I've had the same thing happen with people who hear my name and wonder if I'm a Jew having never met one.

I like what Zechariah13 says about the usefulness of boxes as a first step in getting to know people.

eta: Suppose he'd said, "I don't know much about this. Is tarot part of witchcraft? Are you a witch?" Slightly less clunky, perhaps. People get excited to meet others with backgrounds and lifestyles very unlike their own--at least I do. I don't think it's automatically stereotyping. Like I said--curiosity.