Thoth - Moon - Question about Symbols

ravenest

To be honest, I don't think that bothers most people. Egyptology is a relatively obscure field and what most people know of it comes from Abbot and Costello-style Hollywood cheese (the Stargate franchise, the Mummy films, etc.).

Still, while the subject was perhaps mishandled in Crowley's time (as were many other cultures, this was the atmosphere Schliemann arose in), I find it useful to study both the "constructed mythology" of his time as well as modern interpretations for a more rounded view of Egyptian deities.

The "dying god"/monomyth idea has also been criticized and disproven but that doesn't matter. What does matter is how it is used.

Very true IMO ... I must be an exception to most in this 'obscure field' - however no new studies or discoveries (or my old ones) will ever cause me to abandon the concept of Nuit.

Even though there aint 'no such gal' !

Oh yes there is ! (As I have also seen similar ideas { as that expressed in a 'misinterpretation' of Egyptology as in the BoL } in mythological themes in Australian Aboriginal myth} .

The key elements need not be exactly the same but similarities in theme components modulation and rearrangements are the same. I have even read passages from Bol to an aboriginal friend and he sat there :bugeyed: from some of the similarities.

Aeon418

I'll toss this out and see if I get a bite.....

Looking at the Moon card, is anyone else tempted to draw a big number 8 around the crescent moon/falling Yod's, and the Solar orb and the "Path" that emanates from it? The pattern created by this arrangement suggests a reflection.
8. The Khabs is in the Khu, not the Khu in the Khabs.
9. Worship then the Khabs, and behold my light shed over you!

This is also suggested by the fifth column in Liber Tau. The revelation of Heh (XVII), through the medium of Lamed (VIII), produces the effects seen in Qoph (XVIII). Or in other words, as we change and evolve our compliment, the Universe, reflects this change. But this happens through the medium of cause and effect - Karma (VIII).
.... if the ritual be not ever unto me: then expect the direful judgments of Ra Hoor Khuit!
Anubis prepares the dead Osiris and guides him on his journey through the Duat. This is a connection to Hermes and possibly a clue to one of the objects held by each Anubis on Atu XVIII. But each Anubis also holds the Phoenix wand of the Major Adept 6=5 attributed to Geburah. With this he makes "course corrections" should you stray from the Path. Ouch! :bugeyed:

Atu XVIII and the Path of Qoph also represent one of the three great Equilibrations on the initiatory Path. In this instance it is the Equilibration among the Shells (Qliphoth). The Qliphoth are the unbalanced aspects of the Tree of Life and ourselves. One who is unbalanced will find it difficult to walk the Path without straying to either side. Double ouch!! :bugeyed: :bugeyed:

Zephyros

I'm biting, I just don't have anything to add. Fascinating, Aeon, thank you. It seems natural that the Moon should emanate from Netzach, but I wonder what effect it has on Malkuth? It always seemed a kind of "shortcut" to me, seemingly nice and motherly but ultimately leading to animal passions before having overcome them.

Also, what effect do you think the Star/Emperor in that neighborhood has on the Moon, assuming the two are somewhat interchangeable in their positions (kind of... you know what I mean). Visually, it almost seems as if either is giving the Moon its light, but who's light is it that the Moon reflects?

Aeon418

It seems natural that the Moon should emanate from Netzach, but I wonder what effect it has on Malkuth? It always seemed a kind of "shortcut" to me, seemingly nice and motherly but ultimately leading to animal passions before having overcome them.
Overcome animal passions? If it weren't for that same 'desire-force', it's unlikely that the Crayfish would want to climb out of the water and begin to evolve. That's one reason why a crustacean of some sort is usually present on Atu XVIII. It's a symbol of the process whereby a 'primitive' individual emerges from the collective.
Also, what effect do you think the Star/Emperor in that neighborhood has on the Moon, assuming the two are somewhat interchangeable in their positions (kind of... you know what I mean).
For a start I'm not convinced that the Star belongs on the Path of Tzaddi. It's too good a fit for the Path of Heh.

The Emperor (The Sun of the Morning) is a different kettle of fish though. Although I'm not entirely sure how to articulate the reason why without it sounding a bit weird and far fetched. But here goes anyway.

If we go back to the evolutionary theme on the Path of Qoph for a moment, there comes a point when that same evolving life form (with it's primitive consciousness) reaches a certain stage of development. Up until that point it has, according to occult tradition, been moulded and developed subconsciously by the Life Power (or whatever you want to call Atu 0 The Fool) into ever more complicated forms. But at a certain stage it will slowly begin to become aware of this process and will want to consciously participate in it. (And you probably thought it was your idea to get involved in all this occult mumbo-jumbo. :laugh:) And that's where the Emperor comes into the picture.

From Netzach to Yesod the Emperor represents our ability to consciously mould and impress our subconscious with patterns of our own making. To all intents and purposes it is self directed evolution.
In addition to this there is the Yesod to Netzach aspect of this card that corresponds to the growing power of purposefully raising and directing sexual, procreative energy towards self development, while still retaining control. The normal 'animal' response is to discharge (orgasm) the energy when it gets too much to handle. But this sort of work requires the use of 'higer voltages' than normal. Raja Yoga, that is Royal Yoga, is one method of strengthening the mind and body to tolerate this increased energy. The Emperor looks like the kind of guy who can take the heat.

I think Atu XVIII shows this new development by the 9 Yod-shaped drops. 9 is Yesod and the Moon. But the letter Yod is 10. And 9x10 = 90 - Tzaddi. :royal:
(On a different level the Yod's may also represent the 'Elixir' of a sex magick operation. Which is essentially a 'talisman' imprinted with a particular desire. Although the previous paragraph should make it clear why merely knowing the mechanism isn't enough to practice it.)

Crowley diary: 9th July 1930.
Aleister Crowley said:
I think knowledge of the IX° has quite upset Frater E.N.L. [Israel Regardie] It is too much like a short cut, and is a very dangerous practice indeed for one untrained by long years of ceremonial. My success, and immunity, may well be due to the fact that I did not know it till after 14 years' hard work.
Visually, it almost seems as if either is giving the Moon its light, but who's light is it that the Moon reflects?
The light is the L.V.X. that originates on the Path of Aleph, reflected in the Path of Heh (Thunderbolt) and consciously directed on the Path of Tzaddi.

smw

The Emperor looks like the kind of guy who can take the heat[\QUOTE]

He is a busy guy :bugeyed: perhaps he swaps back and forth with the Star to get recharged with Chokmah light.

Aeon418

He is a busy guy :bugeyed: perhaps he swaps back and forth with the Star to get recharged with Chokmah light.
It's possible. But there's a subtle difference between cards IV and XVII, and their relationship to the Light. The Light that shines on the Emperor comes from an external source. But the Lady of the Star is the source of that Light. She is self luminous, whereas he is not. She is naked and 'unveiled.' He is clothed (with mind.)

It's curious that the Emperor's head and face (Resh) is turned away from the Light. Instead it falls on the back of his head (Qoph - XVIII, The Moon).

One difficulty with having the Emperor on the old Path of Heh is that he does not fit in with the expanded symbolism of Crossing the Abyss that the Thoth Tarot is meant to show. That crossing must be consolidated in two ways. On the plane of the Intellect, the Ruach. And on the plane of the emotions and instincts, the Nephesh.
Atu VI, The Lovers, on the Path of Zain is a perfect fit for the intellectual part. The corresponding Nepheshic consolidation on the Path of Heh does not fit with the symbolism of the Emperor. But the Star, who bears the twin Cups of Heh, is a match made in heaven.

Aeon418

Continuing the same theme....

While the Star is the best fit for the consolidation of the Nephesh and Neshemah on the Path of Heh, the Emperor serves a similar function on the Path of Tzaddi. But this is on a much lower arc and in an earlier phase of the work.

Here's a summary from Liber Tzaddi.
Liber Tzaddi said:
36. Many have arisen, being wise. They have said «Seek out the glittering Image in the place ever golden, and unite yourselves with It.»
37. Many have arisen, being foolish. They have said, «Stoop down unto the darkly splendid world, and be wedded to that Blind Creature of the Slime.»
38. I who am beyond Wisdom and Folly, arise and say unto you: achieve both weddings! Unite yourselves with both!
39. Beware, beware, I say, lest ye seek after the one and lose the other!
This passage speaks of the dichotomy that 'appears' to exist between the Neshemah (the spiritual aspiration) and the Nephesh (instinctual, animal self). Christianity in particular drove a huge wedge between these two. So much so that many people today still have a hard time reconciling spirituality and sexuality. This often results in feelings of guilt and shame when they 'slip the leash' of prudery and piety for a quick roll in the hay.
The Thelemic doctrine being expressed in Liber Tzaddi is an attempt at bringing wholeness and balance to these two divided aspects of self. The Emperor is a wonderful image of the uplifting and ennobling aspiration to the highest, while at the same time being firmly grounded in the physical and the sensual.

Abrac

Looking at the two Anubises you can see differences in the heads. The Anubis on the right is shadowed and the one on the left is lighter. The symbol in the left hand looks like a variation on the caduceus and the one in the right hand looks like a variation on the symbol for Mercury. Whatever they are, one seems to be associated with the 'inferior' world and the other the 'superior' world; undoubtedly they are intended to reflect this somehow.

Aeon418

There is a way in which the 7 officers of the Neophyte temple can be attributed to the hexagram. In this system the Kerux, Anubis of the East, is attributed to Mercury - Beth. While the Sentinel, Anubis of the West, is attributed to Saturn - Tau.

The latter correspondence may explain the darker shading of the right hand Anubis. And may also explain the implement he is holding. Maybe it's just a cross of some kind to indicate Saturn.

I'm not sure if the resulting gematria is intentional, but 402 is the value of Sarah in Greek - Σαρρα. Sarah is the wife of Abraham in Genesis, or as Crowley calls it, The Book of the Beginning, in the Moon chapter of The Book of Thoth (p.113). In that same chapter Crowley also quotes Geneis 15:12 "An horror of great darkness came upon him." It was during the "great darkness" that El Shaddai made his covenant with Abraham. And true to his promise Sarah gave birth to a son, Isaac, when she was 90 years old. (Abraham was 100. Qoph.)

The relevance of this story to Atu XVIII is that the aspirant walking the Path (Pisces rules the feet!) with sincerity and perseverance will forge a covenant between him/herself and the Angel, against all the odds on a journey through "great darkness." All this is suggestive of the combination of Mercury and Saturn.

smw

Aeon418; said:
The Thelemic doctrine being expressed in Liber Tzaddi is an attempt at bringing wholeness and balance to these two divided aspects of self. The Emperor is a wonderful image of the uplifting and ennobling aspiration to the highest, while at the same time being firmly grounded in the physical and the sensual.

I find the Emperor card a little intimidating, so this is lovely imagery to work with. I also heard a good suggestion on the LivingThelema podcasts for meditating with the growing, regenerative nature of the universe, to help with integrating aspects.