The high priestess

Frater Benedict

I know about the HYMN 'Ave maris stella' (It was probably written in the 7th or 8th century somewhere in western Europe) but not about the piece of art with the same name that you mention. The moon is mentioned in Revelations 12, so whenever an artist chose to depict a moon together with Mary, we know from where the artist got the idea. Waite who grew up with a Roman Catholic mother must have known some of this.

An interesting difference between Waite and the Wirth deck (which Waite must have known about) is that in the Wirth deck The Empress is depicted with the moon at her feet and twelve stars around her head. It seems that Wirth and Waite didn't have exactly the same ideas about the Popess and the Empress, although they have some iconographical details in common.

Richard

......An interesting difference between Waite and the Wirth deck (which Waite must have known about) is that in the Wirth deck The Empress is depicted with the moon at her feet and twelve stars around her head......
P. F. Case apparently favored the Wirth Empress.

Attachments

• bota_wc_empress.jpg
    bota_wc_empress.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 142

Richard

By the way, Case did not disagree with Waite's interpretation of either the High Priestess or the Empress, he just thought that this symbolism was more appropriate for the Empress.

On the other hand, Wirth used Levi's Hebrew letter attributions, so the Empress is Gimel rather than Daleth. This changes its significance.

ravenest

I know about the HYMN 'Ave maris stella' (It was probably written in the 7th or 8th century somewhere in western Europe) but not about the piece of art with the same name that you mention.

Not 'the piece' . If you google 'Stella Maris' you will see the more olderstyle pics have no Moon at the feet, the one;s that do seem more modern, computer art, mosaic style, etc.

I suppose even this being the case, the source is more as you say, and not for from the Tarot.

One I saw that seemed old, but also seemed a new copy of something old had this comment when I tracked it down " This Icon of our Lady Star of the Sea was painted in the Neo-Coptic style by the internationally renowned iconographer Dr. Stephane Rene who is the only exponent of this sacred artistic tradition in the West." Tracking it further back to its originating website, it is shown in their 'new iconography' section.

It goes on to describe the symbolism ( but of this 'new' icon )

" Our Lady is depicted standing on the moon, again an object of worship in ancient religions. The image also recalls the verse in Revelation Chapter 12. And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars. "

Standing on the symbol of ancient worship ... hmmmm , that could be taken in two opposing ways .