Cartomancy Help

DaughterOfDanu

Hey all,

I got my deck of cards in today (regular playing cards) and I'm eager to give cartomancy a try. Issue is, I have a few "hangups" that I'm wondering how people get past them.

Have you found cartomancy to be just as accurate as using tarot even without the major arcana?

How do you personally read them? Do you just associate a suit to a suit in the tarot and use the same associations? Or do you provide your own personalized meanings to each card?

Just curious how people get comfortable with using playing cards :)

Bernice

Hi TreeLeafe,

There are a number of cartomantic methods for reading playing cards. Although some people actually use RWS tarot card meanings, the best readers don't. What's the point of using a playing card deck if you're going to use tarot meanings?

The readings can be very accurate, but try out the different systems first to see which will suit you best. If you do a search here for 'playing cards' it will bring up a number of threads where different methods are discussed, Like the HedgeWitch approach, or the Destiny approach (Olney &/Or Robert Camp).

Bee :)

DaughterOfDanu

Thanks! Right now the archive link isn't working- it says to keep trying so I will.
Bernice- You have a good point. :) I guess I gotta muster up some inner strength and get over my slight fear of reading with unillustrated cards.

The cards I'm using (They feature Anne Stoke's artwork) have images on them so I'm hoping that the images won't confuse me with the card meaning. If they do I think I have another deck (With day of the dead artwork) that has less distracting artwork so I can use those. Woohoo! :D A new divination adventure.

Bernice

TreeLeafe said:
Thanks! Right now the archive link isn't working- it says to keep trying so I will.
Bernice- You have a good point. :) I guess I gotta muster up some inner strength and get over my slight fear of reading with unillustrated cards.

The cards I'm using (They feature Anne Stoke's artwork) have images on them so I'm hoping that the images won't confuse me with the card meaning. If they do I think I have another deck (With day of the dead artwork) that has less distracting artwork so I can use those. Woohoo! :D A new divination adventure.
If read futher into the link that Cardlady22 gave, there is another link posted later that works fine, it's at wordpress.

Bee :)

cardlady22

I love the Anne Stokes' deck!

First thing: lay out your pips in groups by themselves-
Aces
Twos
Threes
etc.

Jot down what seems similar about them to you; then what seems quite different compared to the others.

The Wayback Machine site has been revamped, so older direct links may get wonky. If you enter any URL and click Show All, it will give you many choices to try. 2007-8 had the most times.
http://replay.web.archive.org/20080924014146/http://www.hedgewytchery.com/cartomancy.html

MareSaturni

I find playing cards to be MORE accurate than tarot decks - at least in my practice. They are a bit more 'to-the-point' than tarot, less psychological and more practical.

I use Ana Cortez's method for The Playing Card Oracles.

Moonbow

TreeLeafe said:
Woohoo! :D A new divination adventure.

You and me both TreeLeafe, this is a second time around for me and I've now been dabbling for a few months. I'm still at the stage of trying different systems and haven't yet settled on one.

Those cards are nice, I was looking at a youtube video the other day when they were being reviewed. There is also this site by Serena:

http://www.serenapowers.com/playingcards2.html

inertia

I'm a deep lover of playing cards.. It's true that there are a lot of different systems that you can use. If you want the utmost accuracy and details in your readings Hedgewytchery and Regina Russell's book are unbeatable!
I use Regina's system mainly(still learning it) and my family's method. Never failed me.
Check this forum: link removed by moderator. You'll find what you need there! I know I did ;)

DaughterOfDanu

Thanks guys!
I'm saving all the links but while I was waiting for class to begin I looked over the Hedgewytch method and It looks so cool and so much fun! Its a whole new way of looking at card suits!