Playing cards - Is this ok?

Citrin

I took a break from studying Goethe, and my cards were next to me. RWS and a regular playing card deck that I got from some horse magazine years ago. I was just about to grab the tarot deck to shuffle, and perhaps pull a card or two, but instead I picked up the playing cards and thought "why not?".

First I pulled out 3 random cards to see if I could "get" something from them. And sure, I got a little story... Then I did two readings for myself, and they were really accurate! Ok, I didn't get the details I would've gotten from my tarot, but the info I got was... Well, pretty much right on!

Now, the thing is... I don't know the real (?? for lack of a better word) meanings of playing cards, so I simply had RWS in my head. I saw the ace of diamonds and in my head I had Ace of Pentacles... You get the picture.

I don't really plan on putting my tarot away to work with regular cards, this was just an experiment... But what do you think? I feel a little silly for asking, but do you think this is ok, to put RWS-meanings into the regular cards?

wandking

the first actual book ever published on Cartomancy, which is using ANY type of cards to forcast the future, features playing cards, not Tarot. In 1540 CE the first solid evidence of cartomancy comes from Venice in a book called, Le Sorti di Francesco Marcolino da Forti intatolate Giardino di pensieri.

Phoenix Rising

Hi
That's perfectly fine. Alot of the meanings from the tarot I've used in my playing card meanings. I changed a few, because it just suited me to have a different meaning. You might be interested in this thread,
My Playing Card Meanings
I've also devised a system using the playing cards to get the Majors, by combinations of the same number value.
There is a cartomancy index in oracles Here

Citrin

Phoenix,
that looks cool! :) Hmm definitely gonna look at that more thoroughly when I have more time this summer. Got a little curious now hehe. Glad to hear you thought my experiment wasn't too off!