Kris Hadar Judgment

venicebard

le pendu said:
Not sure I see the Vampire teeth here.. but perhaps that's just another thing on the list that people will use to discount the Noblet.. no vampires on the Judgement card.
Hope you don't include me in the vampire croud, Robert. Love and kisses (and bites?)
just taken fairly off guard here.
Me too. What they seem to see as 'teeth' are merely the spaces on either side of the trumpet's mouthpiece that is IN the angel's mouth, where it should not be admittedly yet calling the poor angel a vampire for wrongly blowing his little horn seems a bit harsh to me.

Teheuti

Astrid O said:
Teheuty, I am very intrigued by your words...and I do see the fangs you mention. . . . Did you find this in your historical research? And what might that message be, if we are to look upon the resurrected person as a vampire?

Wasn't it in the archives of Buffy?

As to the meaning - couldn't it be a message that vampires will eventually take over the world? Surrender now, for there is no hope beyond this. Their domination could be pictured in the final card.

T.

Teheuti

le pendu said:
I think JMD would agree that the oldest extant TdM is not the Dodal but the Noblet, circa 1650 rather than circa 1700.
My mistake. I was referring to the Dodal image, though.

Umm.... would be laughing if I thought this was a joke, but having to try to wrap my mind around the possiblility that this is a serious consideration. No insult intended.. just taken fairly off guard here.

While it can be taken as a joke, I think it shows how a small detail, if taken out of context, can become the basis of a whole theory that has little to recommend it except for insistence on the importance and assumed meaning of the detail.

For instance, I find much of the 'hidden' imagery that people discern in the cards - to be little more than personal fantasies. Of course, this is great when personally responding to a card in one's own in a reading. But it doesn't make it objectively so.

I mean, doesn't the Dodal Judgment Angel look exactly like a vampire?

Mary

prudence

Teheuti said:
Wasn't it in the archives of Buffy?

As to the meaning - couldn't it be a message that vampires will eventually take over the world? Surrender now, for there is no hope beyond this. Their domination could be pictured in the final card.

T.

I am sorry if my query seemed sarcastic, but I was actually being genuine. :D....Thought you had found this in your research :) .

~ I usually go into chat-room for my weekly leg pulling ;)...But point well taken.

le pendu

Teheuti said:
While it can be taken as a joke, I think it shows how a small detail, if taken out of context, can become the basis of a whole theory that has little to recommend it except for insistence on the importance and assumed meaning of the detail.

Hallelujah, Amen.

firemaiden

Oh yes, the detail that becomes an absurd fantasy. The staple of SPOOF readings...:D :D. That was hilarious, Teheuti.

Jewel-ry

Thanks for pointing out the fangs Teheuti. I shall never be able to look at this card in the same way again.

Most definately a thread to get your teeth into :D

venicebard

Now, do you see, LePendu?

Jewel-ry said:
Thanks for pointing out the fangs Teheuti. I shall never be able to look at this card in the same way again.
Do you see now, LePendu, the damage done by even so small a 'violation' as having the trumpet up to the angel's mouth rather than simply held close at the throat (where man's internal trumpet resides, that is, what enables man to shout)? (If you ask me, it's the Noblet that has the most vampires in it, though their teeth don't always show... e.g. LE PENDV, and those zombiesque round eyes of LEMPERATRISE...of course I admit it is amplified somewhat by the pale flesh - do you know if it had more color originally?)

le pendu

venicebard said:
Do you see now, LePendu, the damage done by even so small a 'violation' as having the trumpet up to the angel's mouth rather than simply held close at the throat (where man's internal trumpet resides, that is, what enables man to shout)? (If you ask me, it's the Noblet that has the most vampires in it, though their teeth don't always show... e.g. LE PENDV, and those zombiesque round eyes of LEMPERATRISE...of course I admit it is amplified somewhat by the pale flesh - do you know if it had more color originally?)

Hee hee.

As for the trumpet to the throat... I think you can guess my thoughts.. it's not the point of the card, but reading something into a detail that probably had nothing to do with the creator's intent. I just don't go along with thinking that the details in the cards represent deeper connections. Not to say that I'm not a detail maniac... I focus on them to trace patterns across time, to watch the **changing evolution** of the cards.

I also think it might be worth stating here and now that while I love the Noblet, I in no way think it is "THE True TdM"... as I don't think any of the decks we have reflect even near completely what the **possibly/probably** early patterns looked like.

For instance, the undated Heri deck is fascinating to me because it is the only deck I know of that has cards shaped and drawn similar to the Noblet. There are details in it that I would expect that are missing from the Noblet... like the faces on the shoulders of the Charioteer, Noblet missed this! But on closer inspection.. there are tiny details that Heri has that are not on Noblet, even though it is pretty clear that they were using a similar source. The eaglehead on the back of the chair of the Emperor for instance.

When I look at these things.. I'm not considering them for "meanings", I'm considering them from the evolutionary changes that occur in the patterns. I believe the Charioteer should have faces on his shoulders because of the overwhelming precedence of it as part of the iconography, not because the faces are.. say.. "Osiris and Isis" or "The Summer King and The Winter King".

On the other hand, there are things that I personally believe that may or may not be historically accurate. For instance, the penis on The Fool in Noblet. I absolutely believe that is a historical detail that has been lost. I believe it because it "just seems right" to me. It makes sense. It explains what the "dog" is doing. And it has connections to old painted cards which show the fool with his privates exposed and being tormented (by children). So in this case, even though Noblet is the only TdM with this detail, I accept it as correct... but not because of some esoteric explanation. But on the same card, the way that Noblet has colored the stockings doesn't seem quite right to me.. I think Hadar has done the best job of restoring how the stockings would have been originally... whatever that means.

As for the vampires... ; ), I agree that Noblet is probably the most ghoulish of all the TdM (with the exception of Vieville now and then if you are willing to include him in the party). The Popess is absolutely ghastly!

As for other/more color, what we have with the Noblet is what we have. But breaking another TdM fascination.. I'm not one who holds too much stock in the coloration of the cards. There are some "standards" that seem fairly traditional, but every deck has it's own use of color and I just don't believe there are deep meanings connected to them. I think the colors were chosen usually based on tradition, personal taste, availability, and harmony.. and of course.. the limits of using stencils to color with.

best,
robert

prudence

Jewel-ry said:

Most definately a thread to get your teeth into :D

~ Honestly though, it does have an evil look to it, and not just the fangs, the angel has what my kids call "angry eyebrows"...not at all a pleasant countenance on that angel/vampire, imho....and having my leg pulled by such a notable tarot authority as Teheuty, well, that's akin to an autograph, I shall never wash that leg again. :D

~Venicebard, I still don't see how, the placement of the trumpet creates the illusion of fangs.....I do realize, that the fangs aren't intentional, but, I see something on either side of the mouth, and what it is isn't really clear, but it doesn't jump out at me as due to the trumpet placement.