Tarot de Marsella & Camoin-Jodorowsky

Abrac

I was never that interested in the Tarot de Marsella, then I saw some nice-looking scans of it on eBay recently, so I snatched it up.

It looks to me to have been strongly influenced by the Camoin-Jodorowsky TdM. The colors are very similar and a lot of the iconographic changes made by Camoin-Jodorowsky have been used. However, the Marsella has brownish/copper colored backgrounds which really temper the bright coloring. This I like a lot. I used to have the Camoin-Jodorowsky but never really did get on with it, mainly because of the garish coloring, so I traded it off.

stella01904

This is a Spanish TdM? Links, please!

stella01904

Oh, okay! I've seen this one before, just never thought of it in terms of the Jodo-Camoin.

There is some similarity, also some differences: the woman on XVII seems to have a star on her belly rather than a mouth or seed, for instance.

Jodorowsky and Camoin based their deck on old decks, and lore (the guy on XVI falling out of a door, for instance). I wonder if this deck was influenced by the Jodo-Camoin, or if it it was conceived independently, but in a similar manner? Hmmmm............

le pendu

well.. I've heard rumours of "betrayal"... that Rhodes/Sanchez were students of Camoin-Jodorowski... and then "ran off with the secrets and created their own deck". I'm not sure how true that is, but it's clear the Rhodes/Sanchez went beyond the Camoin-Jodorowski deck, and researched several early decks to come up with some of their iconography.

I personally enjoy and prefer the Rhodes/Sanchez iconography.. but really dislike the backgrounds. I'd love it if they published a version of their deck on white backgrounds.

stella01904

le pendu said:
well.. I've heard rumours of "betrayal"... that Rhodes/Sanchez were students of Camoin-Jodorowski... and then "ran off with the secrets and created their own deck".
One of those things we'll probably never be able to verify, but it makes an interesting story!

Paul

Golden Luxury

le pendu said:
well.. I've heard rumours of "betrayal"... that Rhodes/Sanchez were students of Camoin-Jodorowski... and then "ran off with the secrets and created their own deck". I'm not sure how true that is, but it's clear the Rhodes/Sanchez went beyond the Camoin-Jodorowski deck, and researched several early decks to come up with some of their iconography.

I personally enjoy and prefer the Rhodes/Sanchez iconography.. but really dislike the backgrounds. I'd love it if they published a version of their deck on white backgrounds.

I’m with you, Le Pendu—I find the backgrounds annoying. I believe Ródes/Sánchez were attempting to restore a golden luxury to the TdM; as well, it appears that they were inspired by the Oswald-Wirth deck (like Wirth, they add a Sphinx underneath La Papesse’s throne).

I really enjoy R/S’s clarity of images, their “score lines” are subtler than Camoin’s, which I find almost obnoxiously obtrusive on his deck. But, the designs and colors are almost exactly the same. Definitely, R/S add some deliberate symbols not on the Camoin, which I believe they culled from studying numerous decks/deck styles.

I have corresponded with Mr. Ródes, who sounds like a very kind man. We haven’t spoken much of the deck, per se, but he has described that his method of reading the TdM has definitive differences from Camoin’s. (I find them almost identical.) As for his deck, he has mentioned that the R/S deck has symbols embedded in it that are not on the Camoin. He has also remarked that his imagery is clearer than Camoin’s. Quite frankly, I agree.

I have heard of the split, as well, between Camoin and R/S. All I can perceive is that Ródes/Sánchez were shrewder marketers and distributed their knowledge more quickly and openly. But, I truly have no business judging this matter-- I am just making observations; perhaps "shrewd" is synonymous with presumptuous in some folks' minds. Beauty (or ugliness) in the matter is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Mr. Ródes and Ms. Sánchez discuss their deck and reading method in their new edition of El Libro de Oro, published by Palmyra. The book is only in Spanish, to my knowledge.