Tarot and culture/belief

Placebo Scotsman

I just discussed with my friend about tarot today and she said in her culture, it's believed that the tarot reader can change the querant's fate. She explained that as the querent came asking, he/she had 2 paths/choices: one more positive than the other. Depending on the reading and the reader, the querent may be more inclined to choose one path which can be negative.

I mean my friend has a point. Most querents have faith and trust in the readers and if the readers lead them wrong, they can be making a wrong choice. But I don't think the actual reading or using tarot can have that big of an impact. What do you think? How do you respond to such belief? It seems tarot has some bad vibe in other cultures.

I think this can happen

Too many cards of the right nature can create a feed back loop of expectations and self fulfilling prophecies

Then again mundane situations can have the same effect for the same reason

The cliche example of this somebody trying to ask somebody out but is feeling nervous about and that nervousness makes them that much less attractive and more likely to be rejected

Which makes it even harder next time

A cycle like this can be hard break even if you are fully aware that it is happening

Simple

Everyone has free choice. I mean ultimately, the querent is responsible for his/her choice.
It is a old belief but it still exists today. That's why some of my friends are afraid of getting a reading. They believe that depending on the readers and their reading skills, they might see the wrong things or don't see far enough and when the querents are looking for answers, they're not thinking clearly and may be inclined to choose the wrong path.

ravenest

Well, I can clearly see that one ... depending on the reader and their skills ( mental balance, mood, emotional and intellectual state and development of 'life skills' , etc ) the reading could be a load of rubbish.

nisaba

I just discussed with my friend about tarot today and she said in her culture, it's believed that the tarot reader can change the querant's fate. She explained that as the querent came asking, he/she had 2 paths/choices: one more positive than the other.

Most querents have AT LEAST two paths ahead of them. The job of the Tarot reader is to look at them, and give some indication what actions to take to make the most of their situation. It's up to the client to follow that advice or not, so the client makes changes to their fate, not the reader.

peacelilly

I had a friend that believed you could put 'spells' on people through tarot cards. We worked together and I never had a long discussion about it with him, (I regret that now) but in a nut shell he believed a female's cycle somehow gave them certain powers.

He would never let a woman, that he was dating, cook for him in her place, only his, to make sure she wasn't doing anything to the food to make him fall under her command.

Other than those quirky beliefs he was OK lol!

I have close relatives that believe my interest in the tarot and other spiritual things are along the lines of black magic, OK, one actually said devil worship lol!!! Actually, a lot in my small town believe the same.