A question about questions

tigerlilybug

This is one thing I feel as though I've been struggling with recently how to word the question for a reading to gain useful information. More times than not I have to reword my friends questions because they always go right for yes or no although even rewording a yes or no to me still seems like grabbing for straws but anyway what really brought me to this post is I've been having nightmares for about 4 months now and I want to know why! So I got thinking I'll ask the tarot but can I really gain something from that or is it to generic? The truth is I would like to know why but more importantly what I can do to make the nightmares stop. What are some of your opinions on how to ask questions to grow from a reading? Also any recommended literature on this topic would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Sar

I use: Show me how/why/who/what/when.

Then the card tells me the story.

Cenozoic

I haven't had much luck trying to get messages or insights into my dreams with tarot cards either. Usually for dreams, I would try to remember any symbols, animals, or situations and then think about their meanings. Sometimes they link to a real life situation in an abstract sort of way.

There are two kinds of methods I can think of for remedying nightmares.

One method is that while you're in a nightmare, just realize that you're dreaming, and then realize that you can freely go somewhere away from it. Once you realize this you'll naturally go somewhere else.

The second method involves being awake in real life, and taking like a spoonful of salt in a cup, and leaving it in your bedroom to absorb the negativity on your bed for a few hours, then discarding the salt, and getting a new cup of it, and placing that on your nightstand or near you before you go to bed, as it'll protect you. This method helped a family member of mine, since she was having nightmares for a week, and then anyone who napped on her bed would get a nightmare as well, which I found odd. So I tried this method, and since she was afraid I went to sleep on her bed as well, and we woke up fine without nightmares. So you could give this method a try if you're okay with it.

tigerlilybug

I use: Show me how/why/who/what/when.

Then the card tells me the story.

How would you word your question for this type of spread? Would you say show me the who why what ect of last nights nightmare? I am still not sure how that would help me to gain something other than the facts of the nightmare I would be more interested in what can I actively do to stop them but is that like trying to go from 0 to 60 in a flash would I be trying to stop something that I truly do not fully understand until I get the who why when where how ?

tigerlilybug

I haven't had much luck trying to get messages or insights into my dreams with tarot cards either. Usually for dreams, I would try to remember any symbols, animals, or situations and then think about their meanings. Sometimes they link to a real life situation in an abstract sort of way.

There are two kinds of methods I can think of for remedying nightmares.

One method is that while you're in a nightmare, just realize that you're dreaming, and then realize that you can freely go somewhere away from it. Once you realize this you'll naturally go somewhere else.

This would be a dream come true haha I have never realized I was in a dream while dreaming then again I can't say I have actively tried to do so nor do I know how to go about trying to!

The second method involves being awake in real life, and taking like a spoonful of salt in a cup, and leaving it in your bedroom to absorb the negativity on your bed for a few hours, then discarding the salt, and getting a new cup of it, and placing that on your nightstand or near you before you go to bed, as it'll protect you. This method helped a family member of mine, since she was having nightmares for a week, and then anyone who napped on her bed would get a nightmare as well, which I found odd. So I tried this method, and since she was afraid I went to sleep on her bed as well, and we woke up fine without nightmares. So you could give this method a try if you're okay with it.

That is odd ! Luckily that isn't the case with me, my boyfriend and I share a bed and he never recalls dreams or nightmares so either he doesn't remember or it is just me. I think I will give this a try I do keep sea salt for cleansing certain alter items I just never thought of cleansing an area with it thanks for the advice!

Sar

How would you word your question for this type of spread? Would you say show me the who why what ect of last nights nightmare? I am still not sure how that would help me to gain something other than the facts of the nightmare I would be more interested in what can I actively do to stop them but is that like trying to go from 0 to 60 in a flash would I be trying to stop something that I truly do not fully understand until I get the who why when where how ?

Phrase the Q like this: Show me how to make the nightmares stop, and then lay out the cards to see the full story of how to make it stop.

tigerlilybug

Phrase the Q like this: Show me how to make the nightmares stop, and then lay out the cards to see the full story of how to make it stop.

Ah! Haha that makes sense sometimes the simplest things just fly right by me, I think that could definitely get me to stepping in the right direction since I have yet to do a reading on the subject because I really wasn't sure how to approach it. Thanks Sar :)

Sar

Ah! Haha that makes sense sometimes the simplest things just fly right by me, I think that could definitely get me to stepping in the right direction since I have yet to do a reading on the subject because I really wasn't sure how to approach it. Thanks Sar :)

You are very welcome, so go ahead and try my method and make me proud. :heart:

Sar.

Chimera Dust

For an issue like the one you're having, I'd ask questions like "why am I having this dream?", "what does this dream mean?", and then ask for advice on that dream (for example, if it's a problem in your waking life, what you can do about it).

Ruby Jewel

Message from the Unconscious

I know of a couple of important books on dream psychology. The first one that comes to mind is "Memories, Dreams, Reflections" by C.G. Jung, which is about your Unconscious archetypes and dreams. Another, more current book is by the Buddhist, Alan Wallace: "Dreaming Yourself Awake", which is about training yourself to become aware that you are dreaming while you are dreaming.

Dreams, or nightmares, are messages being presented to you from your Unconscious. For example, when I was a child I used to wake up under the bed with all the hair on my arms and legs in knots. I had the same nightmare over and over that I was falling inside a tunnel with no bottom. Years later when I began researching into an obvious full-blown neurosis, I discovered that the tunnel nightmare was my Unconscious portrayal of my actual descent into a neurosis.

Any dream at any age is not something to brush off and ignore because your Unconscious is actually telling you something you need to know. Once you understand the message, the nightmares will cease.

I think what is important, is to find out what your unconscious is telling you in this nightmare?"....and not how to get rid of the nightmare. So, I would suggest that you ask the tarot to answer the question, "what is the message being given to me from my unconscious by way of this nightmare?"