Advice for a novice Tarot reader?

midnight-moonlight

Hello,

I've been reading the Tarot for about 9-10 months or so. I'd like some advice to be a better Tarot reader.

I find that I need to reference a guide for pretty much every card I draw and I'd like to be like those Tarot readers that never need any kind of reference, they just know what the cards are saying.

I know it takes practice and experience but any advice? I'd really appreciate it.

Zephyros

Tarot is a very personal thing and everyone's reading style is different. It ultimately boils down to what kind of a person you are and what kinds of things tend to excite your imagination. Some people rely on their intuition to make judgments about the cards, other people study their structure and symbolism. Many people will tell you to just use your intuition and say whatever comes to mind, but that just doesn't suit everybody. It certainly didn't for me.

kimtsan

Journal. Journal journal journal journal--if you're not doing it already. Journaling helps you keep track of your thoughts and your interpretations. It's that extra step that really helps you solidify your mental process--so you're not just trying to remember everything in your head. Writing and journaling makes it real.

You can try getting in touch with + reviewing the structural basics of tarot. For example. looking at the elemental and numerological associations. This will help with memorizing the definitions. E.g. Two of Swords = element of air + numerological number two. Air pertains to the mind while two pertains to duality. Together, they form the definition of the Two of Swords: indecision, dilemma, and stagnation. If you look at Two of Pentacles, you also see the theme of duality--this is also true for Two of Cups and Two of Wands.

The next suggestion would be to try to come up with your own way of organize the system, e.g. linking similar cards or common themes together. You can also look at the Fool's Journey, which is a great way of connecting the Major Arcana cards.

You can also look at the deck you've been using. Maybe you just haven't found one that speaks to you yet, which is why you're getting "reader's block".

Hope this helps. xoxo

Kim

LeFou

Try this: go through the cards in each suit, just in your mind, visualizing each card's imagery. When you draw a blank, look up that card and keep going. I doubt you'd need more than a month or two of this kind of practice.

Or for any given situation, try "translating" the scenario into Tarot cards. Who are the main characters? What's the central theme, dilemma, action, resolution? When you interact with someone (anyone), what card(s) do they remind you of?

One last thought: for each story that you see in each card, try seeing the -opposite- as well. For example, 6 of Coins: it's a card of giving, generosity, sharing. Opposite: withholding, demanding, grabbing (or whatever).

Sunwolf

Your impressions

Learn to trust your impressions above what the literal, written meanings are. I will read each meaning for the card but if I get images in my mind's eye or impressions I let them super-cede what the cards say. As I read I find that my impressions of each card will weave a coherent message or story when the written meanings may not.

Universal Student

I find that I need to reference a guide for pretty much every card I draw and I'd like to be like those Tarot readers that never need any kind of reference, they just know what the cards are saying.

Sounds like an intuition issue. Get Dusty White's "The Easiest Way To Learn The Tarot - EVER!" Can't go wrong.

Cenozoic

We all learn differently.

But my advice is that while you're reading, try to recall as much of the description as possible first from the top of your head, before looking it up in your reference guide. Also a few keywords might help too.

nisaba

I know it takes practice and experience but any advice? I'd really appreciate it.

<warmest smile> Time.

Pull your cards out often. Don't necessarily ask questions, but shuffle cards and look at their faces a lot.

"How does this card make me feel? What do I think or feel about the colours? What happened just before, and what is about to happen?"

But mostly, just look at your cards. It takes many of us years. In fact, you'll find many people here who have been reading for decades, and still insist that we're learners.

3ill.yazi

Journal.

Play. Pull cards but not for questions. They are their own flash cards. I personally like the array of games that Dusty White puts in his books to help you learn the cards and how they relate to one another.

Read books that are not just lists of keywords.

Listen to your gut.

Sulis

My advice echoes many of the posts here…
Journal..
Pull cards and write down what you see, how they make you feel, what you think they mean etc.. I find it helps to do this at the end of the day and ask for a card representing something in your day.. Look at the card and try to relate it to something you've done, that's happened to you or that you've thought that day..
Another thing I've found really useful is to compare the cards of the same number in the different suits.. Tarot is divided into suits each ruled by an element but the numbers are the same.. Compare all of the Aces, all of the Twos etc and look for similarities, differences…

Read about elements, numbers, colours, symbolism.. A symbol dictionary is a good buy.. The cards all contain readable symbols and learning to actually read them is like learning a new language; it takes time and a lot of time at that..
It's a journey, don't rush it and don't worry if you feel as if you're not getting anywhere; believe me, you are.
It took me years until I felt 'fluent' in the language of the cards and as Nisaba said, even when you've been reading for decades, you'll still be learning…
You can pick up enough to get by quickly but to really, really know how to read takes a long time..

Enjoy yourself, play with your cards, make up stories with them, do imaginary readings for imaginary querants, read books about them and try not to look up the card meanings whilst you're actually doing a reading - it really is all there in the cards :).

Stick to small spreads - 1 to 3 cards… Adding more cards will cause you to skim over them and you'll miss the deeper meanings…

As you go on you'll gather layers of knowledge and it will all start to become clearer - honestly it will :).