Cleansing oneselves from Negative Energy after a Tough Reading

Nikita_

Hi everyone...yesterday I had a really heavy day; a friend who I often read for sent me 3 or 4 people who wanted tarot readings, and they were all incredibly tough ones...these people had some of the worste stories I've ever heard; almost a horror story in one case, including violent deaths and rape, which came out in the readings, and by the end of it, I was worn out, I had a massive headache, and I almost felt sick, feeling the need cleanse or "purify " myself, to get rid of the negativity I had absorbed, being a kind of sponge...I don't know of any rituals or practices for that, or to protect myself to begin with, so I was wondering if you have any thoughts about this.
Thanks....

Paramatma

practice loving compassion, peaceful awareness.

Est

Sorry to hear you had a day like that.

Running water is good, so try a shower while visualising the negative energy leaving your body and going down the plug hole in the flow of water.

Another thing that can help is writing down whatever represents that negative energy for you - maybe a few keywords, or even a full account of the day. Take a few moments to ensure that piece of paper holds all the negativity and that the negative energy is now separate from your mind/body. Then (safely) burn the piece of paper, knowing that the heat and light of the flame are neutralising the energy.

Finally, you could do a sitting or walking meditation in which each breath out or each step forwards drains the negative energy into the ground, and each breath in draws clear white light into you to replace the negative energy.

If you feel some of the negative energy has seeped into your living space by now, open the windows and walk round making a noise - singing, clapping, whatever - until it feels 'fresh' again.

For future, maybe try protecting yourself before readings with a 'white light shield' or similar.

Zephyros

It doesn't have to be a "ritual." Anything that you find meaningful would do the job of calming yourself down, getting over a hard day and getting your bearings. After a long hard day I take a hot shower, I light some incense (I prefer the heavier, muskier scents, they smell nice and help create a nice atmosphere), turn on some soft lighting, play a calming album (Ella and Louis are especially good for this), read or watch something and generally try to make the disconnect between the day and my home downtime.

At other times, I find that lifting weights is very cathartic.

celticnoodle

I have to also agree that a nice warm shower is very helpful and if you can also take a nice salted bath, this will help as well.

Perhaps a warm drink too--to help calm you--such as chamomile tea? Going out into nature and if possible, just standing on the earth in your bare feet and breathe in the quiet of nature. So refreshing!

I would also recommend, as did Est already--to protect yourself before each reading with some white light and do a grounding before each reading as well.

Nikita_

It doesn't have to be a "ritual." Anything that you find meaningful would do the job of calming yourself down, getting over a hard day and getting your bearings. After a long hard day I take a hot shower, I light some incense (I prefer the heavier, muskier scents, they smell nice and help create a nice atmosphere), turn on some soft lighting, play a calming album (Ella and Louis are especially good for this), read or watch something and generally try to make the disconnect between the day and my home downtime.

At other times, I find that lifting weights is very cathartic.

I do take a shower as well, and I use incense as well, but that's more for the environment...but I was thinking of something more that relaxation and "switching off ", I was thinking about getting rid of the stuff we absorb....I have a friend who also reads cards, she does it all day, or almost, it's her job, and over the years she has had a number of pets-dogs and cats-who died suddenly for no apparent reason, without being ill...she thinks that animals absorb the negativity around her house....

Nikita_

I have to also agree that a nice warm shower is very helpful and if you can also take a nice salted bath, this will help as well.

Perhaps a warm drink too--to help calm you--such as chamomile tea? Going out into nature and if possible, just standing on the earth in your bare feet and breathe in the quiet of nature. So refreshing!

I would also recommend, as did Est already--to protect yourself before each reading with some white light and do a grounding before each reading as well.

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't have a bathtub...I had thought about a salt bath...can you explain what you mean by grounding ?

Nikita_

Sorry to hear you had a day like that.

Running water is good, so try a shower while visualising the negative energy leaving your body and going down the plug hole in the flow of water.

Another thing that can help is writing down whatever represents that negative energy for you - maybe a few keywords, or even a full account of the day. Take a few moments to ensure that piece of paper holds all the negativity and that the negative energy is now separate from your mind/body. Then (safely) burn the piece of paper, knowing that the heat and light of the flame are neutralising the energy.

Finally, you could do a sitting or walking meditation in which each breath out or each step forwards drains the negative energy into the ground, and each breath in draws clear white light into you to replace the negative energy.

If you feel some of the negative energy has seeped into your living space by now, open the windows and walk round making a noise - singing, clapping, whatever - until it feels 'fresh' again.

For future, maybe try protecting yourself before readings with a 'white light shield' or similar.

Thank you, East, that's very useful...I'll try that...

Nikita_

practice loving compassion, peaceful awareness.

Ironically, loving compassion seems to be part of my problem...! I do have the tendency to feel what the person in front of me is feeling-the pain, the fear-and I think people feel that; yesterday, one of these women-and it wasn't the first time it happened-told me "you're a very good listener..." I felt really bad because all I could do was listen to her; I couldn't help her in any other way...and the most ironical thing is, I studied to be a therapist when I was at university, and I decided not to do that precisely because I hated to feel like this....an astrologer friend of mine told me that " water signs are sponges; they absorb everything", and I am a water sign...I think he was right, and I don't think it's a good thing..

Zephyros

You might try the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. It isn't too difficult and widely known as the most popular, all-around ritual for this kind of thing.