HOw to keep reading from being affected by skeptics/ getting self-concious

aurafields

Sometimes I'll come across someone who I can't seem to read very well for... and I'll get a certain feeling about that... so I will ask the person, "you don't really believe in this, do you?", to which they generally respond "no, not really", so then I tell them "well, then I cannot read for you". And then I pick up my cards and I'm done, with no further discussion.

If you're afraid of being "wrong" then I suggest trying some exercises that help you let go of the "inner critic". Try some free writing exercises.

When I practice, I find it helps to tell my friends and family to take the reading with a grain of salt, because it is just a practice reading. Then they know what to expect, and that makes me feel better and more relaxed. Practice makes perfect, but it doesn't have to be perfect.
It is pretty easy to tell if someone doesn't believe in having a reading, but I never acknowledge their disbelief. If they came for a reading, I give them a reading. I will say something like,"Try to relax and just hear what I have to say, take what you want from this, but I am pretty sure int he days and months to come you will find that the information I am giving you is both accurate and can be helpful as situations unfold for you." I know what I do in a reading is channeled and that the person is there for a reason for his or her best good as well as my own, as that is why I give the reading and how I cme to the reading. They can take it or leave it, stay or go, but if they come to me, I give them what I've got, and they don't get to tell me they don't believe. They may not yet understand, but they believe something or they wouldn't be here, and in time I have the faith and knowing from experience both personally and professionally that they will begin to see what they came to see.

ana luisa

Sometimes I'll come across someone who I can't seem to read very well for... and I'll get a certain feeling about that... so I will ask the person, "you don't really believe in this, do you?", to which they generally respond "no, not really", so then I tell them "well, then I cannot read for you". And then I pick up my cards and I'm done, with no further discussion.

THIS. No use throwing pearls to the pigs. Besides, as nisaba said, I'm not here to sell you an idea or convince you of anything. I'm here to perform a reading. Period. If anything, your time is way too precious for that.

VGimlet

I also enjoy reading for skeptics. I read for a couple this last summer at our dog club event, and it was pretty fun to ask them at the end, "See, not as woo-woo as you were thinking, huh?"

I always tell them my basic rules of thumb if they have never had a reading before, or are uncomfortable;

1. If any tarot reader/psychic/palm reader ever tells you they need more money so they can perform rituals to protect you from evil forces/negative people/blah blah they are scamming you, and you need to report them to the cops, or at least walk away knowing their reading was a scam.

2. Nothing is set in concrete, and these are all possibilities that can be changed.

3. Take everything, including tarot, with a grain of salt.

Mark Lewis

With every reading I usually give them a leaflet a small part of which states:

"A psychic reading can be a very powerful experience. Tarot cards in particular offer guidance and insight. However, I always emphasise to my clients that nothing is cast in tablets of stone. YOU have the power to alter your own life. We all have free will and your destiny CAN be altered no matter what any psychic says. Predictions, therefore cannot be guaranteed any more than a weather forecast always comes out as expected. My own predictions have a high rate of accuracy but I cannot claim absolute perfection. I don't see everything and neither would I want to. I refuse to play God. For this reason ALL READINGS ARE FOR FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. Please use YOUR OWN COMMON SENSE when evaluating the information on your tape"

This takes the pressure off a trifle. But you know, just because someone is sitting there stone faced does not necessarily mean that they don't like the reading. It is a mistake to make assumptions too quickly. They may well be appreciating what you say but are the type not to give any feedback. This makes it more difficult but I recommend ploughing ahead and not giving in. At the finish you will often feel a great sense of relief when they tell you how good and accurate you were. They make you sweat though!