LS Secret Tarot - 5 of Swords

Sanctum_Priest

It reminds me of the final scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid (two well known outlaws) ; there's no way she's going to survive this situation but there's no alternative. I don't like this card, though; it doesn't fit with my view that 5 swords represents a pyrrhic victory -- you can't have a pyrrhic victory and die.

teaguejb

Sanctum_Priest said:
It reminds me of the final scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid (two well known outlaws) ; there's no way she's going to survive this situation but there's no alternative. I don't like this card, though; it doesn't fit with my view that 5 swords represents a pyrrhic victory -- you can't have a pyrrhic victory and die.

That's interesting...I kind of imagine her being able to overcome these adversaries by some sort of super-duper fighting skills. The odds are definitely against her, though. I guess the focus is really on her tactics and not the win/lose result...which kind of makes sense to me. In the RWS card, the battle is over and the adversaries have been sent packing. In this card, the story hasn't progressed that far, suggesting that this type of action is wrong regardless of the outcome.

I think you're right. The card doesn't really go far enough to suggest the truth that "the end does not justify the means." Or maybe this deck turns some of these truths on their heads. Maybe in the universe of the Secret Tarot the end DOES justify the means...at least sometimes. That would be kind of a dark way to see the world. I wonder if there are other cards in this deck that suggest things like this.