Book of Law Study Group 1.59

ravenest

My fav has been a type of Amber. V. intoxicating and overpowering but also good for outdoor usage - like Liber Nv.

Grigori

This line leads me to wonder a technical question. What exactly are the cakes of light for in Thelema? Some kind of sacrement that contains blood, so presumably from this line nothing to do with Nuit, rather Hadit or Heru-ra-ha?

Good that we like resinous gums though, my favorites. Bring on the Myrrh. :)

ravenest

I am most familiar with Cakes of Light in their usage with Mass of the Pheonix ( I dont see that as specifically relating to Nuit) and also In the Gnostic Mass, which is a 'revelation in symbolism' of the degree knowledge held within the OTO (which includes all three chapters of BoL). Also the Mass represents the divine marriage, so 'opposite' forces can be seen as joined together.

(Although current OTO policy dies not permit the usage of blood in cakes for Mass - far to many blood born diseases about and far too many silly people misreading quiet clear instructions ie. 'Of this burn'. There should not be blood in cakes, but the ash of burnt blood IMO.)

Read the sections on sacrament in MTP, how there are sacrements of various elements; 2 elements, 3 etc. (I have some old OTO 'Waratah' journals with excellent articles on Cakes of Light, sacrament and related issues - including bees writen by a Soror of the Order if you want to borrow).

ravenest

similia said:
Good that we like resinous gums though, my favorites. Bring on the Myrrh. :)

Dont try the resign of a Bloodwood tree though - you'll clear the room! :laugh:

Although I once used it as a suffocating overnight incense to kill off a nasty flu that was trying to invade my space ... it drove off the infected :laugh: and stopped the first signs I was developing ... smells like an old burning hospital!

Always Wondering

I was lying under a tree a few days ago, looking up into the branches. It was huge and I felt so surrounded. It felt like I was a part of the tree and I thought of this verse and I felt like Nuits hair. So now I connect this verse with the Tree of Life.

Incense pretty much messes with my sinuses.

AW

Aeon418

The blood is the life.

similia said:
What exactly are the cakes of light for in Thelema? Some kind of sacrement that contains blood, so presumably from this line nothing to do with Nuit, rather Hadit or Heru-ra-ha?
If you take a look at 3:23-24 you'll notice the recipe for the cakes of light is also the perfume of Ra-Hoor-Khuit. As such the cakes represent the Child of Nuit and Hadit.
Liber XV:

In my mouth be the essence of the life of the Sun!
In the Christian Mass, the host (from the Latin Hostia - victim, sacrifice) and wine represent the flesh and blood of Christ. It's the simplest form of magick. Consume that which you wish to embody. Or in simpler terms, you are what you eat.
(In this context read Lon Milo Duquette's introduction to the Gnostic Mass in chapter 13 of his book, The Magick of Aleister Crowley.)

In Liber 44 (44 - DM, Blood) The Mass of the Phoenix, two cakes are used. One is the host, which is eaten. The other is burned as incense.
I'm not sure if I agree with Ravenest on the burnt ash issue. The relevant verses are open to interpretation in two distinct ways. But I can understand why the OTO has to protect itself.

Back to the verse in question. There is no blood in Nuit's incense. Why? Blood suggests mortal, living things. But the absence of blood might point to the infinite, continuous nature of Nuit. On top of that the shedding of blood was the central mystery of the Osirian formula, and therefore does not relate to Isis.

thorhammer

Yeeesss, but what does it all mean???

(Sorry, not trying to be flip, just insomnia-addled).

This part of the Book - mostly this verse and the next - appear to be a bit of a mashed-up list of prerequisites for worship. A checklist . . . "Resinous woods? Check. Number 11? Check. Five-pointed-star-with-red-circle? Check."

You get the idea.

It does seem strange to me, though, that this shopping list be wedged between the injunction to "Invoke me under my stars! . . . Choose ye well!" and the slightly OTT prose of 1:61. It seems to break the tone of the chapter, which seemed to be ramping up to a triumphal, stirring end.

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

thorhammer said:
It seems to break the tone of the chapter, which seemed to be ramping up to a triumphal, stirring end.
But this whole chapter is the "manifestation of Nuit". So what better place could there be for these more tangible things (incense, sacred symbols, modes of worship etc.), than near the end of the chapter. It's like a final earthing of the previous message in something solid and physical that acts as a connecting link (Vau) between us and her.

ravenest

thorhammer said:
Yeeesss, but what does it all mean???

(Sorry, not trying to be flip, just insomnia-addled).

This part of the Book - mostly this verse and the next - appear to be a bit of a mashed-up list of prerequisites for worship.

A checklist . . . "Resinous woods? Check. Number 11? Check. Five-pointed-star-with-red-circle? Check."

You get the idea.

Yep! Check Liber Nv.