Can the cards be "wrong?"

kmagdalena09

Can the cards ever be wrong, or do you insist that it was your interpretation of them that was skewed?

I've had it happen a couple times where I did a spread, with silence in the room, concentrating on nothing but the cards and the question at hand, didn't play silly games where I pulled the cards until I heard what I wanted to hear....got differing opinions on it, wrote them all down, and then the events that followed seemed to be like nothing anyone predicted...they seemed completely contrary to the cards or any interpretation of them I got, from me or from other people (much more skilled than I). What gives? Times like those that make me question the legitimacy of what we're all doing.

GryffinSong

Many of us, myself included, do not believe that we can read the future at all. We use tarot in a completely different way - to access our subconscious, to sharpen our intuition, to get clear on issues.

For people like myself, the question "can the cards be wrong?" is completely beside the point. They cannot be right OR wrong. They simply are.

tarotbear

Do you believe that Tarot is 'predictive,' or 'intuitive' ?

Do you believe the 'power' {or fill in your own term} comes from without or from within?

Many newer readers are always amazed at how 'precise' tarot can be - it builds up their confidence. Then - one fine day in May - the magic Tarot deck makes a prediction and it doesn't come true, doesn't happen, or is just plain impossible. All their faith in the precision of Tarot gets magically shot to hell and many of them throw their deck away, bitching that Tarot is a bunch of hooey, and they can't believe they got caught up in it. There are several threads asking if your cards can get mad at you, or if they can lie to you, and the original posters all have the same whiney statement about questioning the 'legitimacy' of Tarot because one or two readings did not give them the textbook answer they were looking for. Is the problem the Reader? NO! It MUST be the cards!

IMHO - with 20 years of Tarot behind me - I say the cards are not wrong; the question was wrong. I agree with GryffinSong 100%.

ghost271

Its a tough one to answer. I do believe the cards predict future events IF we continue the way things are. Lets say the Future Outcome is that you`re gonna lose your job because you`ve got a shitty attitude towards people. well what if the Querent changes their attitude and outlook on life and people for the better and instead of him losing his job he gets apromotion?

Was the reading wrong ? No, because the Tarot warned him what would come if things DIDNT change. If i do a reading and the Past and Current issues im picking up are spot on and accurate,Im confident on the Future Outcome as well. My job as a reader is to help my client change that outcome to something they will be happy with and to gain perspectives and solutions to their problems. I`ve yet to read for somebody who`s life is all Roses.

DownUnderNZer

I think the tarot cards reflect what could be happening at the time and only show you a glimpse like 10 pieces in a jigsaw puzzle rather than the full 50.

What they might show one week could be totally different a month later.

So, its not that they are wrong or right...it simply comes down to the reader, free will, natural events and cycles and that things can change from one day to the next. :)

iAmRiotEyes

Maybe you need to cleanse your cards or give them some time to "rest."

The crowned one

Do you believe that Tarot is 'predictive,' or 'intuitive' ?

Do you believe the 'power' {or fill in your own term} comes from without or from within?

How do you separate those two? I agree with you, but wonder how you qualify that as it is becoming rare.

For me, yes the cards have been completely wrong on occasion.... no excuses no special circumstances they just missed it. Rare but experienced. In the back of my mind, and not delving too deep into my psyche I seem to think I did not shuffle well enough as I focused. No.. reverse focused and shuffled. It still comes down to a complete miss. I did not have enough information to read the future well. The cards offered no insights because I had no buried insights to bring to the surface.

Eco74

The future is yet to happen.
As such, we can still effect it.
Any different choices we make from having warning and changing our mindset may effect things to make a change in what would have happened had we Not known or been prepared.
Also, having some warning we can mentally prepare to handle a situation differently than if we had not gotten that extra time to prepare.

The cards often show us possibilities - not necessarily just absolutes.

Atleast that's how I see it.

dawntarot

The future is guided by so many variables that I don't bother trying to predict it. But I will try to get a little guidance as to what consequences are possible as a direct result of my actions. I don't think that is the same thing.

Dawn

tarotbear

How do you separate those two? I agree with you, but wonder how you qualify that as it is becoming rare.

For me, yes the cards have been completely wrong on occasion.... no excuses no special circumstances they just missed it. Rare but experienced. In the back of my mind, and not delving too deep into my psyche I seem to think I did not shuffle well enough as I focused. No.. reverse focused and shuffled.

IMHO The two Schools of Thought are 'Tarot is Predictive' and 'Tarot is Intuitive.' Predictive would be considered 'information from without' - meaning that the cards (and their interpretations thereof) are produced from an outside source. Many people believe Tarot is a direct connection to the Divine, their spirit guides, angels sitting on their shoulder - all from a source from without and not under human control. If you believe that God/Goddess/All That Is is bringing the cards up - would your God lie to you? Are you a 'Sinner in the Hands of an Angry God' ? "God: You ran a stop sign today so for the next month all your Tarot readings will be wrong."

In the School of Intuitives Tarot is controlled by the subconscious mind, the human aura, muscle contractions in the hands, and many other theories. These people also say that Tarot cannot predict a single future event because we do not - as humans- know the future. But the Tarot can tap deep into your psyche, into memories you do not know you have, into parts of the brain we do not even understand. This is what archetypes are all about - the abilty to recognise universal symbols that may be in your brain at birth. Can the human brain be deceived? Yes - how many people only see the skull but not the girl sitting at the vanity in the famous illusion? Does that make Intuitive's cards 'wrong' ?

Going back to my statement in my other post - I do not believe the cards can be 'wrong' - as in 'they deliberately lied to you' - either the wrong question was asked or they were mis-interpreted by the Reader. I have had many readings where the 'Final Outcome' never came - but that does not mean the cards were 'wrong.'