Does tarot attract any (bad) spirits?

Basic Elements

The crowned one said:
If you believe in these sort of things...If a board with letters and a few words posted on it can, sure why not a pack of cards, or a roll of toilet paper for that matter? I think it comes down to intent, not the item.

This is partially true. There are three factors that come into play as far as I understand it. There is intent, understanding, and symbolism. Symbolism is the bridge which connects with our conscious minds and guides it into particular aggregates of unconscious/psychic energy. However without being properly understood, these symbols do not directly affect us. Once understood, whether these currents affect us "positively" or "negatively" lies with the intent of the individual.

In this way a roll of toilet paper, imbued with the proper understanding and/or symbolism, could serve as effectively as a method of divination as anything else.

Grizabella

yagger said:
Yea, i already thought my friend's story sounded a bit too exaggerated. But when i heard it for the first time, it did sound a bit creepy when she explained.

But now i wonder.. how do you make sure when you are just doing tarot you're really just doing tarot and not inviting anything, regarding to the words "unless you invite them"?

Well, you'd have to actually invite the spirits just like you'd invite someone over for dinner. Just using the cards isn't inviting spirits any more than just the act of cooking your own dinner invites your friends to come share it with you.

Lysh

In agreement with others who have posted a reply, I believe it is all about intent. When I first get a deck of cards, I surround the cards with white light and say a 'prayer'...basically my intent when I use the cards which is that only positive and loving spirits may assist and that any reading I do is for the highest good of everyone involved.
My life has become richer since tarot....can't be all that evil.

Lysh

afrosaxon

1. Click on "Search This Forum" in the top right hand corner of this section. (it is your friend and can be used in every section of the board).

2. Type in "tarot spirits"

3. Read the threads that come up (this question tends to be addressed at least once every few weeks by new members).

4. Lather, rinse, repeat for any questions that may arise (most of newer members' questions have been addressed/discussed at least once, and probably more than that.).

Welcome to AT.

T.

franniee

Umbrae said:
I dunno...

I was once reading in a bar. Somehow word got out that the 'cost' was a shot of Bushmills. I remember looking up and seeing a line of people (five or six) all holding shots of Bushmills...

So yeah - Tarot CAN attract Spirits. Good or bad depends on yer point of view I suppose...

:laugh: :thumbsup: })

Myrrha

I don't find a belief in spirits that can influence us silly at all. I just wonder, if these spirits are powerful enough to make things happen differently in our lives, why would they need to wait until we do a tarot reading in order to screw it up for us? Ask your friend this. Most likely his or her reason will involve religious dogma along the lines of "the spirits have this power because you have offended God by using tarot cards"

Another interesting question: what is this "destiny" that the spirits can change and mess around with when we use tarot cards? Do you believe that everything that is going to happen is pre-determined? Why bother to try and work for anything or change anything in your life then?

Most serious tarot readers that I know think that our actions right now change the future, it is not set in stone. We make our own destinies. That is why the cards are useful, we can get insight into a situation and guidance on how to make the future the best it can be.

Briar Rose

Basic Elements said:
This is partially true. There are three factors that come into play as far as I understand it. There is intent, understanding, and symbolism. Symbolism is the bridge which connects with our conscious minds and guides it into particular aggregates of unconscious/psychic energy. However without being properly understood, these symbols do not directly affect us. Once understood, whether these currents affect us "positively" or "negatively" lies with the intent of the individual.

I believe this also. Intent also plays a VERY important part.

nisaba

Umbrae said:
I dunno...

I was once reading in a bar. Somehow word got out that the 'cost' was a shot of Bushmills. I remember looking up and seeing a line of people (five or six) all holding shots of Bushmills...

So yeah - Tarot CAN attract Spirits. Good or bad depends on yer point of view I suppose...
<falls about laughing>

Next time you're south of the equator, it's my shout. Don't bother weighing yourself down with decks - I'm sure I can find one or two to your liking. We'll have a Tarotfest and wake up in the morning moaning because all the bad spirits will have drunk the very saliva out of our mouths until they feel like dustbowls, and are rattling around in our eyeballs with sledgehammers trying to get out.

(Don't tell Mrs Umbrae, or Mrs Nisaba if I have one at the time).

nisaba

yagger said:
how do you make sure when you are just doing tarot you're really just doing tarot and not inviting anything, regarding to the words "unless you invite them"?
Well, first you pick up a set of Tarot cards, then you shuffle them, then you lay some of them out on a table, then you look at the pretty pictures and try and make sense of the IMAGES A PERSON DREW!

Alternatively, you can divine by taking an encyclopaedia off your bookshelf, closing your eyes, opening it randomly at any page, opening your eyes, and reading the first thing you see. It works just as well. I favour the second volume of the so-called "Shorter Oxford Dictionary" myself - there's some really good stuff in it that is completely pertinent to my life.

It will be just as much or as little spirit-influenced as Tarot cards you have shuffled and laid out.

How does your friend think spirits influence it - do they grab the cards out of your hand, invisibly shuffle them in mid-air, and lay them out themselves?