The Deck of Lenormand Houses

skyfiery

Has anyone used The Deck of Lenormand Houses before? It's by the creator of the Deck of 1000 Spreads.

I'm extremely new to the Lenormand system, and am wondering if this deck will help me learn how to read and use the Lenormand more quickly and smoothly.

Aster Breo

I don't really see what this deck gives you that any of the other decks with keywords don't.

I do like the idea of using one deck to lay out the houses for a GT, then a second deck to shuffle and lay on top of the house cards for the spread itself. But I already do that with a poker or bridge size deck as the house cards, and a mini deck as the spread cards. I don't need an oversize deck that will take up even more space.

Personally, I'd skip this one and learn with one of the beginner's decks that include images or with a traditional deck and a good book.

Just my personal opinion.

Amanda

Why not? The meanings on the cards seem good to me. Also, this would be helpful when laying out a GT so you could see the names of the houses just above the cards. It might even come in handy to define houses for a Square of 9 before laying down some cards as well. I also don't see why you couldn't just use this as a deck for reading with, even though it doesn't have pictures. Seems pretty versatile in its usage. :)

Aster Breo

Sure, you can do all that with it. But you can also do it all with a standard Lenormand deck, without the extra size.

Amanda

Sure, you can do all that with it. But you can also do it all with a standard Lenormand deck, without the extra size.

Who is this deck for, you think? Maybe the bigger size is good... I can see its features contributing to a quicker and more efficient learning process.

Aster Breo

Who is this deck for, you think? Maybe the bigger size is good... I can see its features contributing to a quicker and more efficient learning process.

I don't know who it's aimed at. The text mentions using the deck as flashcards for learning, as well as for professional readers to label spreads in photos they can send to clients.

My response to the original post was about my own preferences to use cards with the Lenormand images on them. I learned with a standard deck with both images and key words. They worked well as flash cards. To me, it makes more sense to learn with the system you'll be reading -- which is, usually, images, not words.

I also personally don't like large cards. I find them very difficult to shuffle. Again, that's my personal preference.

If someone learns best with a tool like this, that's great.

skyfiery

Thank you, Aster Breo and Amanda, for your discussion and thoughts on this deck. I think I can see each of your points.

I did purchase the Under the Roses Lenormand after some research and noting down the slightly different keywords used. I've also briefly gone through the various meanings for each card. I tried to do some brief readings as trials but they turned out crappish. It is probably because I'm really new to this and haven't gotten the hang of it, and that's why I'm wondering if this deck were worth it, especially since it claims to be modeled after the Deck of 1000 Spreads for the tarot, with fixed positions and meanings of each position and such.

I haven't read to the part about Houses yet in my Lenormand book, so I'm not entirely sure what they are. Perhaps this deck may serve me better if I gain a little more knowledge about this system first.

Amanda

Have you considered an app for your phone? This one has pretty solid card meanings: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foolsdog.lenormand&hl=en

I just got the Under the Roses Lenormand as well, and I find it a bit difficult to work with. I think it's just because it has a lot of interpretations for the cards that don't quite make sense to me; I feel like the author maybe came at this deck from more of a tarot perspective or something. The little one-line sentences underneath all the words for each card meaning make more sense for me. All the various word choices for each card seems to confuse things (in my opinion) because some of them I wouldn't have put with the card they are with. I like the deck, and I'm getting more used to it now, but it may not be the easiest to learn on.

MandMaud

Jumping in here, even though I don't like the look of a deck that gives me a lot of text on the cards (with or without images), because I'm wondering why not just write out the houses in their positions and lay the cards on that layout? More immediate (visually) than jotting them down to refer to at the side of the spread.

I'm a beginner too, and struggling to get any sense out of the cards at all. So I'm here to follow people's thoughts on ways of learning. My intuition doesn't seem to know what to do with Lenormand - unlike tarot, which only took learning the basic meanings and a bit of practice to set me rolling. With Lenormand it's as if the brake is stuck on.

I have read about the houses but not yet tried using them because I haven't advanced to a GT, didn't realise you could use houses with fewer cards (eg 3x3 as Amanda suggests). Houses are something I've been looking forward to when I reach that stage! (Though perhaps I should step straight into the GT... I have always learnt better in the "wrong order" whatever I'm learning, and I certainly find I'm better at a 3x3 than a line of however many, maybe my Lenormand brain isn't linear. :p)

Sharla

I've even tried using houses with a simple line of 3, and if your used to lenormand then they do add more depth, but they can becoming confusing for the beginner.

Also when i started trying out GT's in regards to the houses, i bought a blank pack of playing cards off Amazon and wrote the houses on them, with simple meanings for them, and i just use them.

These ones you speak of are a good idea though, because the cards are slightly longer so you can see the name of the house over.....but then its just more money !!

Or even a nice piece of material, draw around a card 36 times, either in a 9 x 4 or a 8 x 4 x 2. Then right the houses on with a marker/sharpie and whalla a lenormand GT cloth.....that you could also even wrap your cards up in.