GT questions - past present and future

RAphrodite

I have some questions regarding GT spreads. I'm not sure if all of them belong on one thread, but here goes.

Before the spread, I charged the woman card as the querent and Man as the person she likes and snake as an old boss, bear as a new boss.

I'm new to this, so charging makes it easier for me.

1. Suppose the querent card is in the middle, rows ahead of her and the columns cards are the future. Behind her is the best past.

Suppose you're trying to read for Love (heart), and the heart card is the first card on the spread (house rider), so this is love in the past? And of course the surrounding cards which give it meaning and context.

2. Since Man was already charged, do surrounding cards (visa knighting mirroring etc) reflect his life? Or things influencing him?

4. How can you determine the future of this relationship, do you take the cards in the same time as relevant to them?

Thanks

Barleywine

Since I don't use past/present/future in the GT, I consider the cards to the left of the focus card to have less influence than those to the right. Those above are also more influential than those below. The method I learned is that the lower left corner is the least influential location in the spread, the upper right corner is the most influential, and the other two corners are in-between.

I sometimes use the first three cards in the spread as the "theme" of the reading, a separate consideration that doesn't partake of the left-right-above-below model.

I treat any of the cards immediately touching a topic card (in this case Man) as showing its immediate environment and circumstances; this can be read as an internal 9-card square that you can then expand upon using the other "connecting" techniques to link to the other topic or subject cards. For Man and Woman in a relationship inquiry, if they aren't close enough for direct knighting between them, I would look for other significant cards (like Heart, Bouquet or Ring), that they both knight to. I also pay attention to where their lines intersect, both horizontally and vertically, and mirroring.

Vanitygrey

Since I don't use past/present/future in the GT, I consider the cards to the left of the focus card to have less influence than those to the right. Those above are also more influential than those below. The method I learned is that the lower left corner is the least influential location in the spread, the upper right corner is the most influential, and the other two corners are in-between.

I sometimes use the first three cards in the spread as the "theme" of the reading, a separate consideration that doesn't partake of the left-right-above-below model.

I treat any of the cards immediately touching a topic card (in this case Man) as showing its immediate environment and circumstances; this can be read as an internal 9-card square that you can then expand upon using the other "connecting" techniques to link to the other topic or subject cards. For Man and Woman in a relationship inquiry, if they aren't close enough for direct knighting between them, I would look for other significant cards (like Heart, Bouquet or Ring), that they both knight to. I also pay attention to where their lines intersect, both horizontally and vertically, and mirroring.

This is super helpful. Thanks!

snowmoon

I have some questions regarding GT spreads. I'm not sure if all of them belong on one thread, but here goes.

Before the spread, I charged the woman card as the querent and Man as the person she likes and snake as an old boss, bear as a new boss.

I'm new to this, so charging makes it easier for me.

1. Suppose the querent card is in the middle, rows ahead of her and the columns cards are the future. Behind her is the best past.

Suppose you're trying to read for Love (heart), and the heart card is the first card on the spread (house rider), so this is love in the past? And of course the surrounding cards which give it meaning and context.

2. Since Man was already charged, do surrounding cards (visa knighting mirroring etc) reflect his life? Or things influencing him?

4. How can you determine the future of this relationship, do you take the cards in the same time as relevant to them?

Thanks

1 do you use 9x4 or 8x4 plus 4 ? some reader like to re do the lay out if the woman or man card in the middle.

the first 3 card as theme. and the love at rider, a new lover is coming.

2 surrounding cards as influence

3 can you please give some example?

RAphrodite

Since I don't use past/present/future in the GT, I consider the cards to the left of the focus card to have less influence than those to the right.

Thank you so much for our detailed response BW. I like the idea of using the first three cards as the theme of the reading. Ive done two GTs for myself over the past few months, and retrospectively speaking, those positions did provide the information for a 'theme'.

Those above are also more influential than those below. The method I learned is that the lower left corner is the least influential location in the spread, the upper right corner is the most influential, and the other two corners are in-between.

Ah, I never thought about it that way. Do you read those cards with the houses as well? On both of my GTs, I do see the influence of the top right corner card after I read them with the houses. So that makes sense. What about cards in the same row as the querent cards, what kind of influence do you think they have? I like to read them linearly, kind of like a sequence of events, with houses of course.

That makes a lot of sense thanks. But when I was doing knighting, it kind of felt it was describing the present situation and things influencing that situation. So your approach to lenormand is not exploring its (possible) divinatory aspects at all?

Also, may I ask, what techniques do you use for reading the knight or mirroring cards in a GT? I do a combination of learnlenormand of cafelenormand. For knighting, I know how to knight, but how do you read the story? I either read the two cards on the same row (with houses) as short sentences that need to be joined up with the other sentences in a coherent way. OR, again, the knighted cards on the left are the past influences, and on the right are future projections.

Thank you again for your detailed reply, appreciate it.

Barleywine

Thank you so much for our detailed response BW. I like the idea of using the first three cards as the theme of the reading. Ive done two GTs for myself over the past few months, and retrospectively speaking, those positions did provide the information for a 'theme'.

Ah, I never thought about it that way. Do you read those cards with the houses as well? On both of my GTs, I do see the influence of the top right corner card after I read them with the houses. So that makes sense. What about cards in the same row as the querent cards, what kind of influence do you think they have? I like to read them linearly, kind of like a sequence of events, with houses of course.

That makes a lot of sense thanks. But when I was doing knighting, it kind of felt it was describing the present situation and things influencing that situation. So your approach to lenormand is not exploring its (possible) divinatory aspects at all?

Also, may I ask, what techniques do you use for reading the knight or mirroring cards in a GT? I do a combination of learnlenormand of cafelenormand. For knighting, I know how to knight, but how do you read the story? I either read the two cards on the same row (with houses) as short sentences that need to be joined up with the other sentences in a coherent way. OR, again, the knighted cards on the left are the past influences, and on the right are future projections.

Thank you again for your detailed reply, appreciate it.

Since I mainly use the Near/Far method, the cards touching and then those next closest to the significator are the most important. Everything else - knighting, mirroring, intersections - I consider supplemental methods that add extra information. Sometimes I see two significators (for example, Man and Woman) knighting to the same card as reflecting an important issue between them, and the same with the intersection of their lines. Mirroring I don't give as much importance unless the significators mirror to one another or to the same card from different directions, which doesn't happen that often but is interesting when it does.

The houses I also see as extra information. I tend to use them only for cards that are brought into high focus by other techniques; certainly for the significator(s), and then for any cards that come up as important in the detailed analysis. That way I keep the amount of work within reason, as otherwise there is way too much iterative detail.

I also like to read the lines leading to and from the significator in a linear fashion, although the focus isn't so much on past or future as it is on developmental awareness (which of course has a temporal connotation). The horizontal lines are the ones I read first, then the verticals and finally the diagonals. The cards immediately surrounding a significator I see as a kind of "vortex of influences," and the cards leading into and away from it as inputs and outputs for that energy. It's just a fanciful way of trying to put it all together.

RAphrodite

1 do you use 9x4 or 8x4 plus 4 ? some reader like to re do the lay out if the woman or man card in the middle.

the first 3 card as theme. and the love at rider, a new lover is coming.

2 surrounding cards as influence

3 can you please give some example?

Thanks sm for your response. Apparently, I struggle with counting :)

For question 3, let me correct the question: How can you determine the future of this relationship, do you take the cards in the same row (reading sequentially) as relevant to them?

1. Yes, using the first three cards as a theme makes sense to me, I will keep that in mind next time.

2. Yes surrounding cards, like an internal three by three. The way I read a three by three is I use the first row as the past, second row as present and last row as the future (perhaps beyond the time frame of the GT). Is that how you would read three by three in a GT?

Thanks again for responding

snowmoon

Thanks sm for your response. Apparently, I struggle with counting :)

For question 3, let me correct the question: How can you determine the future of this relationship, do you take the cards in the same row (reading sequentially) as relevant to them?

1. Yes, using the first three cards as a theme makes sense to me, I will keep that in mind next time.

2. Yes surrounding cards, like an internal three by three. The way I read a three by three is I use the first row as the past, second row as present and last row as the future (perhaps beyond the time frame of the GT). Is that how you would read three by three in a GT?

Thanks again for responding

i see, basically, the past is behind the woman or man, so left side will be the past, the column she he is in, as present(straight line), and her his right side will be the future.

3. see how far the man and the woman is, influence cards around them, look for house like love,

i don't use all the technique to read GT, too much information. it takes so long to read.

RAphrodite

Since I mainly use the Near/Far method, the cards touching and then those next closest to the significator are the most important. Everything else - knighting, mirroring, intersections - I consider supplemental methods that add extra information. Sometimes I see two significators (for example, Man and Woman) knighting to the same card as reflecting an important issue between them, and the same with the intersection of their lines. Mirroring I don't give as much importance unless the significators mirror to one another or to the same card from different directions, which doesn't happen that often but is interesting when it does.

The houses I also see as extra information. I tend to use them only for cards that are brought into high focus by other techniques; certainly for the significator(s), and then for any cards that come up as important in the detailed analysis. That way I keep the amount of work within reason, as otherwise there is way too much iterative detail.

I also like to read the lines leading to and from the significator in a linear fashion, although the focus isn't so much on past or future as it is on developmental awareness (which of course has a temporal connotation). The horizontal lines are the ones I read first, then the verticals and finally the diagonals. The cards immediately surrounding a significator I see as a kind of "vortex of influences," and the cards leading into and away from it as inputs and outputs for that energy. It's just a fanciful way of trying to put it all together.
The near far method is an interesting one. Is it a variant of using a 3x3 within a GT?

About the houses, I realised a method that works for me (and perhaps other people have used it as well), is seeing what cards landed in which house, and connecting it with the corresponding house. So suppose, question is about love, check the house of heart. there is a Dog in the house of heart, what is in the house of Dog, and where did the actual Heart card land. Based on the querent significant, all cards on the left of the querent is the past, and all on the right are the future. If it's about work (for me work is Book, since some of my work is in research), I check House of book, and so forth. That and connecting cards between the querent and the House if Books and where the book card landed,and check corresponding houses. More than Knighting and mirroring, it feels like it offers me more information, and i find it easier to read.

I did a GT spread back in Jan which was supposed to last till March. I wanted some answers, so did another GT near end if March. The cards have a sense of humour.. the woman card (which I charged for myself) was the last card of the last row and last column. I did another one in April for the next three months, and appropriately, I was somewhere in the middle of the spread.

Oh well.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Appreciate it :)

Barleywine

The near far method is an interesting one. Is it a variant of using a 3x3 within a GT?

About the houses, I realised a method that works for me (and perhaps other people have used it as well), is seeing what cards landed in which house, and connecting it with the corresponding house. So suppose, question is about love, check the house of heart. there is a Dog in the house of heart, what is in the house of Dog, and where did the actual Heart card land. Based on the querent significant, all cards on the left of the querent is the past, and all on the right are the future. If it's about work (for me work is Book, since some of my work is in research), I check House of book, and so forth. That and connecting cards between the querent and the House if Books and where the book card landed,and check corresponding houses. More than Knighting and mirroring, it feels like it offers me more information, and i find it easier to read.

I did a GT spread back in Jan which was supposed to last till March. I wanted some answers, so did another GT near end if March. The cards have a sense of humour.. the woman card (which I charged for myself) was the last card of the last row and last column. I did another one in April for the next three months, and appropriately, I was somewhere in the middle of the spread.

Oh well.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Appreciate it :)

I'm not sure where I got it (maybe from Andy's book?) but I seem to recall that what you're doing with houses is called "chaining," where you follow the series of linked card-and-house associations as far as you want until they've all been covered. I never take it that far, preferring to just look at the combination for cards that are significant for other reasons. The same is true for "counting," which is also mentioned in some of the books. I've never found a need to get that refined with it, but I may yet.