Confused over not connecting with Thoth

smw

It is very unlike Christianity, although it shares some of the same mythology. Gnosticism is based on knowledge rather than divine revelation.

The Valentinus Gnostics apparently were a Christian tradition, although not accepted by the mainstream church and considered as Christian heresy. As I understand it the canon of acceptable Christian works were made and some were not considered suitable. I think this may be why the findings at Nag Hammadi created interest about those early times of gnostic/Christian thought. Carl Jung apparently at one time acquired a manuscript fragment (called now the Jung Codex) though is now in the Coptic museum in Cairo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentinianism

http://gnosis.org/gnostic-jung/

*from the Valentine link - "a figure entirely peculiar to Valentinian Gnosticism is that of Horos (the Limiter). The name is perhaps an echo of the Egyptian Horus"

so many threads to chase :laugh:

Richard

At one point in his career Valentinus was seriously considered for the position of Pope. He may have veered further from orthodox Christianity when that didn't materialize. He was somewhat at odds with other Gnostic thinkers on the matter of dualism. He seems to have been more of a dialectical monist. Elaine Pagels is a good general source for information on Gnosticism and its relation to Christianity.

smw

At one point in his career Valentinus was seriously considered for the position of Pope. He may have veered further from orthodox Christianity when that didn't materialize. He was somewhat at odds with other Gnostic thinkers on the matter of dualism. He seems to have been more of a dialectical monist. Elaine Pagels is a good general source for information on Gnosticism and its relation to Christianity.

Thanks Richard for the info :)

foolMoon

Indeed , no doubt it helps play a part in my joyous expression. But here is the thing, the town I live in ( well, the nearby town, I live in the county outside of the town ) is one of the best, naturally beautiful and clean environment. NO real giant problems. The people have access to good amenities, a near deserted beach, rivers, mountains forests most western entertainments and facilities. You can get unemployment money and free medical ( the operation I am waiting on will be free, as will my hospital stay and food etc .... where else in the world is it like that ?

yet the local pharmacy has the highest distribution per head of anti-depressant than any in the state . !

I cant help feeling something is missing for people !

Enough food and drinks , shelter, warm sunshine, no worries for anything .... This is how the Ancient Greek philosophy started in isle of Ionia 3500 year ago. Ideal position and environment for deep thinking.

Something is missing for whole humanity from the start. Some seek religions, some seek political power, some feel comfort by material possesion, some console themselves with drinks and smokes .... Because all of them are missing something.

ravenest said:
Yes, feelings do change, thats why I like to effect that which gives me feelings about things. One's attitude and demeanour can affect one's whole being and life.

This is true.

ravenest said:
Yep. I went to a strict Catholic school, rebelled against it and got moved out. I tend not to take shit from anyone. A friend had the same experience, he stills seems furtive and affected adversely by it.

The last one ( about 4 years ago) , I was told I have about three months to live . Okay, I went through the process pretty quick and then popped out the other side. Wow, was life a mystical experience ... every blade of grass was like a glittering living jewel, every ant an amazing experience ... trippy man ! But then I didnt die .... it was a wrong diagnosis for a flare up of a 'sleeping condition' .... some brilliant doctor fixed it - it was something else ... I got another 20 years !

What do I do now ? I didnt really have time to think, before I knew it I was in a relationship with a 26 year old woman with 3 baby boys ! Okay 'Universe' ... whatever ...
< shrug >

Now I am a hermit ... talk about polarities !

I have no idea what happens next ? :)

Take out your Thoth deck, and do readings? I do daily every morning before day starts, and seems helping me connecting with the deck and also knowing what's around and ahead of me.

ravenest

I no longer feel the need to do a tarot reading to find out what is ahead of me ..... I have long gone past that point :) .

The best way ... and the actual infallible way ( which tarot is not ) .... is to wait and see what happens ..... then respond accordingly :)

foolMoon

Sounds too passive, is it not?

After all we are all here to learn & acquire skills to tell the future, or what's underneath it.:)

Richard

.......we are all here to learn & acquire skills to tell the future, or what's underneath it.:)

Speak for yourself. This is, after all, the Tarot Special Interest section of the Æclectic Forum. Not everyone is here for the same reason.

I don't believe in fortune telling in general or Tarot fortune telling in particular, although Tarot may assist in the analysis of present tendencies. However, that is of minimal interest to me, the I Ching being the better tool.

If prediction of the future were possible, then theoretically gambling could become a lucrative pursuit. However, mathematical probability still remains the best tool for this activity.

foolMoon

Speak for yourself. Not everyone is here for the same reason. This is the Tarot Special Interest section of the Æclectic Forum.

Was just asking. Maybe you have different reasons.

Richard

Was just asking. Maybe you have different reasons.

Sorry, I amplified my original response before I saw your new post. Yes, I am more interested in Tarot as a model of the cosmos (both macro and micro) than its use in divination.

foolMoon

Sorry, I amplified my original response before I saw your new post. Yes, I am more interested in Tarot as a model of the cosmos (both macro and micro) than its use in divination.

ok. To me divination is the main reason for learning tarot, and the reason for that is, i see it as a model of the cosmos. It seems odd to me that one sees tarot as a model of the cosmos, but refuses using it in divination.