is there only one version of Thoth that have 3 magus?

Le Fanu

Aeon418 said:
But I've yet to see any mention of three Magus cards being included in the deck.

Sure. They could have included surplus versions of so many cards as so many versions were done, but I suppose as the Magus is such an important card in the development of the deck...

Aeon418

Le Fanu said:
Sure. They could have included surplus versions of so many cards as so many versions were done, but I suppose as the Magus is such an important card in the development of the deck...
Like Thoth = The Magus. Sure. ;)

But the answer to the 3 Magi is in the hands of A.G.Mueller. They are the ones who selected those particular rejects and included them in the deck.

chriske

Lon sez ...

For me, DuQuette put the final nail in the 3 wise men coffin.
"By no stretch of imagination did Crowley intend to create 24 trumps or an 80 card tarot deck. Any theory or suggestion to the contrary would have him spinning in his grave (if he had one) and displays a profound ignorance of Crowley and The Book of Thoth. Crowley approved only one Magus card for inclusion in the Thoth Tarot"

He then goes on to explain the AGM printing process as Aeon explained earlier.

Good enough for me.

Now from an artistic angle, the painting being discussed here is outstanding. It also graces the front of the 1940s Exhibition booklet where the handwritten title on the card is given as the Magician instead of Magus.

Yygdrasilian

On Profound Ignorance

chriske said:
For me, DuQuette put the final nail in the 3 wise men coffin.
"By no stretch of imagination did Crowley intend to create 24 trumps or an 80 card tarot deck. Any theory or suggestion to the contrary would have him spinning in his grave (if he had one) and displays a profound ignorance of Crowley and The Book of Thoth. Crowley approved only one Magus card for inclusion in the Thoth Tarot"

He then goes on to explain the AGM printing process as Aeon explained earlier.
While all this may be true, the question remains: Is there any formal documentation stating who, why, or when the decision was made to add the 2 cards?

chriske said:
Now from an artistic angle, the painting being discussed here is outstanding. It also graces the front of the 1940s Exhibition booklet where the handwritten title on the card is given as the Magician instead of Magus.
Could this be one of the "grotesque blunders" Crowley was referring to?

Storm82

Aeon418 said:
The version of the Magus chosen by Crowley was printed in the Book of Thoth several years before his death.

there was pictures in the original Book of Thoth ?

ravenest

Le Fanu said:
I love the looming ape in the background. This particular Magus, with all its arms, reminds me of Shiva, Hindu goddess of destruction, which makes me think of the Nietzchean destroy to create; something I find appropriate for the Magus in terms of transformation.

I like the idea of the obvious 8 (magic / magus / hod etc) but ... urk, the composition! I call this card 'Dr. Octopus'.

P.S.
So ... if I put Dr. Octopus on a star map over Betelgeuse (because they have the same gematria) and my hexagram over the Sun, will the three wise men point to Krishnamurti's grave?

Aeon418

Storm82 said:
there was pictures in the original Book of Thoth ?
Yes. All 78 cards, just like in the modern reprints.

Mellaenn

Well, I am just a Thoth newbie, but here is an interesting thing. I have one of the decks from US Games that contains all three magi. I'm following this thread because I inadvertantly left them all in the shuffle for a self-reading just now and two of the three - neither of them the classic magus from AC's Book of Thoth - appeared in my spread.

In a Celtic Cross spread, one appears as what crowns me and the 8-armed magus that is my particular favorite magus appears as the outcome, or final card. In context with my other cards they reflect that there is a great deal of creational energy going on in my world (inner and outer) which is true. So these both seem somehow appropriate.

But I suppose I need to just pick one magus and only leave that in the deck. (Unless I want to increase the odds of magic appearing in my readings?)

Yygdrasilian

Whodunnit

Original key entry by Fr. H.B. in New York
1/26/90 e.v. ASCII conversion
by Bill Heidrick, T.G. of O.T.O.
Copyright (c) O.T.O.

LIMITED LICENSE Except for notations added to the history of modification, the text on this diskette down to the next row of asterisks must accompany all copies made of this file. In particular, this paragraph and the copyright notice are not to be deleted or changed on any copies or print-outs of this file. With these provisos, anyone may copy this file for personal use or research. Copies may be made for others at reasonable cost of copying and mailing only, no additional charges may be added.

http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/crowley-harris.html
Aleister Crowley said:
140 Picadilly

W.1. July 9 [1942]

Dear Kerman,

The Tarot is an Atlas of, and Guide Book to, the Universe. It has been my daily study since Feb. '99, and my researches have cost me several thousand pounds.

I have long determined to construct a pack embodying all the new knowledge gained from Anthropology, Comparative Religion, & so forth.

Lady Harris offered to execute the cards from my designs. It was agreed that I should have a 2/3 share in the venture.

From my rough sketches & descriptions, under my continual inspection, subject to my constant correction--I made her do some cards over again 5, 6 even 8 times in one case--she made the set now on show at the Berkeley Galleries. (There is one exception: the card numbered I was not shown to, or authorized by, me. I suspect a trick in this.)

She has damaged the property by offering it for sale at cost price, thus alienating the libraries & booksellers, and reducing my 2/3 interest to nil.

I value the copyright at something like [L]20000. (A crude, vilely drawn & coloured, ignorant, inferior pack, published in 1902 or thereabouts, has sold over 1000 copies every year since then at 15/- a copy. I am quite sure that these admirable cards, with my book on the subject, which was to go with them in an ornamental box, would bring in far more annual receipts. I have a large following in U.S.A.--they send me [L]50 a month or more--which is growing rapidly. Especially now my "Hymn for Independence Day" has been set to music, and will be broadcast by the Cultural Garden League of Cleveland, Ohio, on Aug. 9. There is also my Free French song (proof enclosed). And the invention of the V-sign will ultimately benefit my work.

I want first to establish my 2/3 claim in the copyright. Secondly, my controlling interest in the cards themselves. If necessary, damages for her sly, underhand, sneaking, dishonourable and dishonest action in giving this show without my approval, and destroying the whole value of the copyright.

N.B. The property right is actually vested in the O.T.O. (Mr. Karl Germer 1007 Lexington Avenue New York City is my Grand Treasurer General, and we had perhaps better sue in his name.

N.B. Lady H's real motive is to conceal her 4 years' close association with me! Rather silly, then, to provoke a lawsuit!

I shall ring up Saturday A.M. early: perhaps you could lunch with me.

Yours sincerely,

Aleister Crowley

P.S. A friendly settlement is being tried; don't do anything until I see you again. A.C.
I've been looking for some documentation regarding the 3 Magi and, thus far, the closest I've come up with is this letter.

I am not sure what it means, exactly, but am curious as to how events played out - both in terms of Atu I and the controlling interest/copyright. I get the impression going over their correspondence that their relationship rapidly deteriorated when it came time to publish this Tarot.

And it occurs to me that it is one thing to round out the deck sheets by adding two alternate cards, and quite another to obtain the license to print them. I wonder if this might be related to an aspect of the commercial publication of The Book of Thoth that I have found inconsistent with what seems to have been Crowley's wishes for this 'magical atlas.'

As he expressed an intent not to "prostitute the Sacred Wisdom of Thoth" by allowing it to be used for the "base and dishonest purpose" of fortune-telling or gambling, One is left to wonder at the inclusion of that poster giving instructions for the Celtic Cross spread and the booklet including Harris' divinatory descriptions for the cards.

I welcome any clarification on these issues and suspect they may relate to the presence of the extra Magi in question, be they superfluous or otherwise.