Design of Thoth deck

Teheuti

I have some suggestions for anyone interested in exploring the design elements of the Thoth deck.

First, read Claas Hoffmann's article on "Projective Synthetic Geometry in Lady Frieda Harris' Tarot Paintings and in Aleister Crowley's Book of the Law" at:
http://user.cyberlink.ch/~koenig/dplanet/stephen/claas/olive_e.html

Check out link at the end of this post.

Cut the borders off of a Thoth deck. Lay all the Majors down in order (Fool through Universe) in a column so that:
The Fool is at the bottom with only the bottom section of the card showing. The Magician overlaps it on top, and the Priestess tops the Magician, etc. - all the way up to the Universe. Use the horizon line on the Moon card (base of the towers) to establish the exact amount of space revealed to view on each card. How many Majors have a design element that corresponds exactly with this line on the Moon card? What qualities of each card are revealed by just this segment?

Are there any other lines that mark particular design segments that are repeated in all or most of the cards? Do these lines conform to anything like the Golden Mean or something in Synthetic Projective Synthesis?

Anyone want to play?

Mary

P.S. The link is an earlier jpg I made to show the right edge of overlapping cards.

Attachments

• Harriscards.jpg
    Harriscards.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 213

Abrac

Teheuti,

That's an awesome article. The comparison of images is revealing.

Crowley was indeed dangerous. Liberty will always be dangerous in a world that thrives on conformity.

-fof

ravenest

U should really follow these previous Thoth threads through Teheuti.

Teheuti

ravenest said:
U should really follow these previous Thoth threads through Teheuti.
Where should I look to find the discussions on the patterns within the overlapping segments of the cards?

Mary

ravenest

Teheuti said:
Where should I look to find the discussions on the patterns within the overlapping segments of the cards?

Mary
The "Thoth, Tree of Life, and the Star" thread (you were responding there before).

Teheuti

ravenest said:
The "Thoth, Tree of Life, and the Star" thread (you were responding there before).
Yes. I created a new thread to see if anyone wanted to discuss the overall patterns in the Trumps rather than taking the Star thread so far off topic. It only seemed polite since I was no longer discussing the original issue. Did I do something wrong by doing so?

Mary

Alta

I don't see that you did. Your thread is now about the overall design of the deck, not just the more specific topic being discussed in the other thread.

ravenest

Teheuti said:
Yes. I created a new thread to see if anyone wanted to discuss the overall patterns in the Trumps rather than taking the Star thread so far off topic. It only seemed polite since I was no longer discussing the original issue. Did I do something wrong by doing so?

Mary

No, of course you didnt do anything wrong. I get confused a lot. Threads are criss crossing all over the place, its quiet fascinating, a good idea to re focus