Knight of Cups

ravenest

It's not me ... I'm safe behind my dark glasses.

Q of Cups in tropical astrology (here we go again!) but I have another side.

"Fire of Water for me is passionate emotion. So, he can be the guy who wants to sweep you off your feet, or the sensitive artist that gets caught up in his canvas. He puts everything he has into what he feels. "

At times, just like this.

"The peacock is supposed to represent brilliance or something, but I see it more as a showyness.... "

Oh yeah! Tha's me ... a big show off. (I cant believe you haven't noticed!)
Would you like to see me twirl my martial arts weapons while balancing on one leg while resiting Swinburne's 'Chorus from Atalanta' ? - probably not (but the poem from the Rite of Venus certainly worked on that Flamenco dance teacher ... yum! ... she turned and looked at her friend and said ..."he's pretty good isn't he?"
What a show off! At least they know your interested and putting in an effort :laugh:

"He kind of sucks if he's ill dignified - he'll say or do anything to win your affection, I think."

And here is the problem, I know most guys use this tactic .. it's pathetic! yet when I really want to express a feeling it feels like its gonna come out all corney and bullshit and manipulaty. But then I am encouraged to share my feelings ... so I do. ... or used to... (once bitten twice shy) ... best to keep it for those who understand.

"Hmm, based on just the way the card is presented, I'd say that the Knight periodically leaps out of the ocean to catch as much sun as he can in his cup. I say this because he is headed east (sun rises in the east) as well as the fact that the huge swell of the waves shows the amount of power he needed to break from the sea and reach the sun.

He is focused completely on reaching the sun (which I think sympolizes finding the emotional meaning of his life because of the crab representing cancer that is present) while his steed turns back almost in disbelief of how far it's come. "

I like that ... I really like that one, that's my aim.

"as if he wants people to recognize his base in water aka where he's coming from." Or in my case, somehow just assume that they DO know where I'm coming from.

"This is the guy who 'goes missing' for a week and a half cos he got invited to some big party or whatever, and never thought to tell his girlfriend (let alone take her with him, and then can't understand why she is upset when he turns up again."

Yep! That's me, except change the world girlfriend to lover or cuddle-buddy or whatever, I gave up on girlfriends. Also this. I seem nonchalant about it all, she goes off on a holiday and I'm pining and forlorn to her absolute surprise and shock.

"Thoughtless.
He's not deliberatly cruel, and there is very little actual harm in him. Mostly the harm comes from his inability to look deeper into the people around him, and to see them as people in their own right rather than as adjunts to himself."

Arrrgh! Squirm! Yeah probably ... but when I get a kindred spirit it works really well. She can come home and tell me about the spunky guy that made a pass at her ... even about the lucsious one-night stand she had. And I'll be happy for her and ask questions and say, "good on ya!" (as long as its healthy and he's nice to her) and it's what she wants. I INSIST it's possible to be best friends and lovers and sometimes it actually works! But hey! I'm a Thelemite .it seems fair, it might not be easy (dealing with past conditionings etc. and what comes up) but it's fun ... just gotta stay away from those with expectations and projections because they can get hurt by it.

" He just drifts through life, living very much in the now, and concentrating very much on himself."
YEP! and making my life and my environment JUST how I want it ... with the least interference possible in other peoples wills.

"this knight has a very immature personality."
Or as the cancer?goat is described "A child trapped in an adults body"

"The Knight o' Cups overwhelms with the 'let-me-sweep-ye-off-yer-feet, let's party, let's schmooze, let's dance, let's screw, and preferrably all in the next 10 mintues' "

Hmmm ... I'd rather spend 10 hours doing that.

"Water can be treacherous, of course - but water is also indispensible for life, water is healing, water is gentle. And he's fire, so his heart is pure."

Yeah! You're such a sweetie little turtle!

Phew! What was all THAT about! I may as well post up naked pictures! Talk about exposing myself ... read quickly before I edit to "nah I'm not like that at all" :laugh:

Lillie

ravenest said:
"Thoughtless.
He's not deliberatly cruel, and there is very little actual harm in him. Mostly the harm comes from his inability to look deeper into the people around him, and to see them as people in their own right rather than as adjunts to himself."

Arrrgh! Squirm! Yeah probably ... but when I get a kindred spirit it works really well. She can come home and tell me about the spunky guy that made a pass at her ... even about the lucsious one-night stand she had. And I'll be happy for her and ask questions and say, "good on ya!" (as long as its healthy and he's nice to her) and it's what she wants. I INSIST it's possible to be best friends and lovers and sometimes it actually works! But hey! I'm a Thelemite .it seems fair, it might not be easy (dealing with past conditionings etc. and what comes up) but it's fun ... just gotta stay away from those with expectations and projections because they can get hurt by it.

Yeah, I think that sums it up.

He is the way he is.
And if you accept him for that then he is fine.

Like how many guys would'nt be bothered if their girlfriend (or whatever) had a one night stand?

So, it's like this. This guy has his own way of being which has it's good points and it's bad points.
But if people expect him to behave in what is considered a 'normal' way, (or assume he will behave how they imagine a bloke ought to behave) then there will be problems.
He will be seen to be uncaring and shallow.

If I had a one night stand and my bloke didn't mind I would think he didn't care about me, or wasn't serious about our relationship, basically, it would be very weird, a different way of thinking to the norm.
Different priorities.

but then, I'm the queen of swords. I'm bitter and venegeful and violent.
I neve forgive and I never forget.
I keep lists of all the reasons I hate my husband, dating back to before we were married.
Things he couldn't even remember if I didn't remind him....

Such is life. :)

ravenest

Eh?

Lillie said:
I keep lists of all the reasons I hate my husband, dating back to before we were married.

OMG !!!

You see I just dont get that (Its me ... I'm not saying you should be different but ... struth! chalk and cheese as they say.) I just don't understand how someone could be a spouse and hate the other one ... I just don't get it.

I'm into love. Not love+ possession, not love + anger, not love + jealousey. I believe if i really love someone then I will support them, regardless, and support them in the way of their going.

I am married actually. I married my wife for love, because she was an illeagal immigrant and had a little baby and the father left her when she was pregnant (great! they come together from another country, he gets here pregnant and pisses off leaving her here illeagal and pregnant), I married her so her and her child could get citizenship, not for money, not for a scam, simply because I loved her and wanted to help her.

She didnt want to be my wife though and went off with the best man from the wedding after about 3 months and now they have 2 kids together and live next door (serious!). I still love her, I'm not even angry with her yet others tell me I'm crazy. I used to look after my (last and final) ex-girlfriends baby (she had him after me). People would think I was nuts and ask me how I could do that. Simple ... I love the kid, it isn't his fault.

No wonder I can't have a 'normal' relationship ... all that jealousy, fighting, and even hatred, fair enough ... just not my cup of tea.

Lillie

Lillie said:
but then, I'm the queen of swords. I'm bitter and venegeful and violent.
I neve forgive and I never forget.

You don't get that?

:D

Well, it was slightly exagerated.

The list is purely mental, it's not written in a book or anything.

Most of the time I love him.
I keep the hate in reserve, just for fun.

mooiedragon

Great thread!

I just gotta say that this has been one of the most interesting threads I've read here at AT! I think it's very brave of you, Ravenest to be so open and honest with sharing fairly personal information - I'm glad you did, though because it helps to really understand the Court cards. I find them difficult to explain in a reading. It's interesting that you mentioned it was like we were holding a mirror up to you - that is a pretty "Cups" idea - you're not really what you seem, but the image of what you project.

I still hold to the idea that the intentions of the Knight are pure - he may leave with your heart, but it's only because you gave it to him. I also think that the Knight of Cups gives you his heart, too. It's just that his heart is made out of water so it's not the most enduring organ you're likely to recieve. The Knight needs something solid to hold him up and when he has that, he's a real winner!

There is a Knight of Cups in my life, too. It's not easy to always be the strong one (sun sign is Knight of Wands - so my instinct is to bail when things get sticky), but I'm starting to understand and appreciate his nature. If I can nurture him, he really has a lot to offer, but when I freak out he reverts back to the Prince of Cups and out come all the trust issues. Bah! If I can curb the flakey tendancies of the Knight of Wands inside me, he can be a more solid Knight of Cups. He probably won't be tho, 'cuz that's not a very Knight of Cups thing to do. Then i'll get all Knight of Wands again and leave before he has a chance to explain.....I had a point there... .but it's gone now. Look for an edit soon.

Lillie - I think all women keep those lists! We can't help it - one list for the times the men bugger things up and another (far shorter) one for the times they go above and beyond.

Lillie

Yeah, and when we get together for a bit of girl talk, we all compare lists!

We all have a bit of the Queen of Swords in us. Sword in one hand, severed head in the other!

Ravenest. I think what you said about kids was really sweet.
Not enough people see kids like that, as individuals in their own right. Too many times it's the all important 'my blood or not' question that drives any relationship with a child.
When it's not the kids fault or decision who made him/her.
Mine or not mine = acceptance or rejection, that's 'love as posession' for you.

ravenest

Ya got me!

Lillie said:
You don't get that?

Well, it was slightly exagerated.

The list is purely mental, it's not written in a book or anything.

Most of the time I love him.
I keep the hate in reserve, just for fun.

Okay ... ya got me! I feel better now. I had this vision of Lillie pulling out this list and reading it out to her (poor) husband ... over dinner ... in bed ... in the supermarket ... actually that does sound kinda fun now that I think about it }) . [I used to create deliberate (mock) fights in the supermarket with my 'wife' and watch the nearby shoppers, all of a sudden, become intently interested in products that were just within hearing range :laugh: ]

I guess my 'little treasur' has a mental list like that ... and she keeps bringing it up ... the problem is the list IS NOT ACCURATE and is more a reflection of her negative imaginings (I've had opportunity to proove this to her, she has agreed, but still she does it ???? - [I'm in trouble if she reads this!] )

I suppose the main thing is that regardless of what we do ... it is transitory and we need to see these events as just that ... events and processes that are transitory and love is beyond all this and true love endures through all ... even death. Thats water for ya! Its soft and plastic yet with persistance can wear away the most stubborn obstical ... the universal 'disolver'.

ravenest

1/2 + 1/2 = 1. 1+1= 2 happy people.

mooiedragon said:
I just gotta say that this has been one of the most interesting threads I've read here at AT! I think it's very brave of you, Ravenest to be so open and honest with sharing fairly personal information - I'm glad you did, though because it helps to really understand the Court cards. I find them difficult to explain in a reading. It's interesting that you mentioned it was like we were holding a mirror up to you - that is a pretty "Cups" idea - you're not really what you seem, but the image of what you project.

Thanks Mooie. I'm glad someone could see the connection between my ravings and the subject matter.
mooiedragon said:
I still hold to the idea that the intentions of the Knight are pure - he may leave with your heart, but it's only because you gave it to him. I also think that the Knight of Cups gives you his heart, too. It's just that his heart is made out of water so it's not the most enduring organ you're likely to recieve.

:laugh: The first part reminds me of what a friend told me the other week. His girlfriend complained that she had given him 'EVERYTHING' and now he has gone cool on her. His version is that he never asked to be given anything and actually for someone to give you everything they are, is rather a big responsibility that he never asked for nor wanted. Hmmmmm.

mooiedragon said:
Lillie - I think all women keep those lists! We can't help it - one list for the times the men bugger things up and another (far shorter) one for the times they go above and beyond.

And when do we get to hear / see these secret short 2nd lists ;) ?

Lillie

You don't!

That's priveleged information. :D

An yes, I expect you are right, this 1st list is probably terribly biased, and so, probably is the second!

And as for my 'poor' husband....
We have been together for about 12 years now, so we are pretty used to each others idiosyncracies.

I have been trying to figure out which one of the courts He is.
And I can't. he has bits of a lot of them.
One day something will click into place in my mind and there he will be.
It's probably one of the ones I can't get a handle on properly.

ravenest

The Knights cup

So has anyone noticed that although this Knight is SOOOOO out there he is actually an Aquarian Pisces and holds aloft the cup with a Cancer crab in it? The Queen is Cancer but she doesnt get the crab but a lobster?

What's going on there?