Book of Law Study Group 1.17

Aeon418

To me the intial "But ye" stands out in this verse. "But" transliterated into Hebrew is Beth, Vau, Teth. BVT = 17, and this is verse 17!

The 17th path is Zain, the sword, and Gemini. I find that to be highly significant. The preceding verses have all spoken of union. But here the verse seems to be saying that the divided are not chosen. That's almost self explanatory.

Divided Yod Heh is not so chosen? In the manuscript the word "ye" is not joined. A clue?

On the flip side Yod+Heh are NOT (Nuit) and are the chosen.
This verse seems to be a double edged sword. Quite appropriate really.

Aeon418

Atu 17, The Star, is Nuit. The one who is divided for the chance of union. Are the united the chosen ones?

Transliterating the word "chosen" into Hebrew doesn't seem to reveal any significant numbers. But the Hebrew letters themselves are important.

CHOSEN: ChOSHN = 193. Reduces to 13 - AChD, Unity.

Ch - Cheth - 418 - Abrahadabra - the Great Work

OSN - Ayin, Samekh, Nun. All paths that lead to Tiphareth. All three paths are united in Atu XIV Art.

H - Nuit.

Always Wondering

Oh well shoot. Maybe I got ahead of myself in study thread 1.16.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Oh well shoot. Maybe I got ahead of myself in study thread 1.16.
What's the problem, AW?

Always Wondering

:laugh:
My goal was take the verses one at a time, or individually. One at a time may be possible, but individually, I think not. Kind of took the wind out of my sails.

For instance, "But Ye are not so chosen", was speaking to me more this morning of the Tower. But we are not so perfect. "Hence all manifestations, however glorious, however delightful, are stains."

And last night my head was swiming in the male and female impulses. The will to live and the will to die. To raise ones head or to drop it. I am divided for love's sake. All while trying to stay focused on 1.16.

Besides, I suddenly didn't feel so original anymore. :laugh: Silly ego. :|

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
My goal was take the verses one at a time, or individually. One at a time may be possible, but individually, I think not.
That's a good observation. The individual (masculine) perspective needs to be balanced with the over-arching (feminine) perspective. Otherwise it's very easy to come to one-sided conclusions. I see that as the main draw-back of the current line-by-line study approach.
Always Wondering said:
Besides, I suddenly didn't feel so original anymore. :laugh: Silly ego. :|
A drop in the ocean? Or a unique master piece? The ego is a little biased when it comes that question. :laugh:

But ye are not so chosen. A direct rebuke against the false pride of the ego? Or a call to unity?

Beira

This line is somehow brutal.
To me it conveys the meaning that, as Aeon was suggesting, the chosen ones are those who are united.
This might leaave some hope that if we do get to attain unity, then inddeed we are worthy to be chosen.
As usual, many layers of meankng coexist at the same time.
The "attitude" of the line brings us back in line, in case we were getting too much relaxed at the description of the many wonders of Nuit.
It feels to me as when a rider gives a quick but firm pull to the reins to remember the horse who is in charge.

Zephyros

I see something liberating in this verse. To be the Prophet is a burden, and not something that falls on just anyone. Almost a punishment, really. I am not chosen to bear that burden, freeing me to fulfill my own Will. There's also the hint that one should not try to emulate Crowley, or anybody else, as everyone has their own Will to attain.

Beira

Thanks for the insight Zephiro!
I can see how, considering what would actually mean to BE the SW or the Beast, it is liberating to know that "we are not so chosen"!
Certainly Crowley is one of those types " Do what I say, not what I myself do!" LOL
But the lines explain what it takes to fulfill those offices, and in one of the commentaries AC gives a series of SWs. This has me see the lines as (also) intended as descriptive of offices that get manifest in the material plane: in AC and his companions' form while he was alive, and then get taken from someone else.
I am new to the Thelemic community, so I was wandering if these roles are actually being fullfilled, or if SW and Beast are godforms that only exist in higher levels than Assiah?

On the other hand I was wandering where my True Will will have me go up the tree and obviously dreaming of great spiritual attainmemt. But on my own path..
Thinking of what it could be like (since our minds are poorly equipped even also to contemplate their mistery) the SW is an office that gives me quite a fright for all the power handling and burden..

Thanks Zephiro, you made me give a deeper layer to my own words and I found it all very motivating.
Thanks