Book of Law Study Group 1.22

Grigori

Book of the Law Study Group 1.22

Aiwass said:
22. Now, therefore, I am known to ye by my name Nuit, and to him by a secret name which I will give him when at last he knoweth me. Since I am Infinite Space, and the Infinite Stars thereof, do ye also thus. Bind nothing! Let there be no difference made among you between any one thing & any other thing; for thereby there cometh hurt.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/index.htm
http://hermetic.com/crowley/index.html
http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/index.htm

Other threads in this study group

cardlady22

thesaurus again- do you hate this yet?

bind- noun: stand-off, impasse
verb: cement, assign, force, border (as in sewing/fabric)

difference- opposition, contradiction, remainder, balance (as in $$ ~ balance due?)

Grigori

Nope, I love the thesaurus

when he knoweth me

When who knoweths her? Hadit? Are we waiting for Hadit to know Nuit so he can receive her secret name. Or is this line referring to the Beast, or the reader. Are we waiting for us to know Nuit before she tells us her secret name?

Why do we want to know her secret name? This kind of reminds me of fables where knowing someone's name, give you power over them. If Nuit gives you her secret name, does that mean you receive the power of the goddess?

Its interesting that this line is completed with "Let there be no difference made among you", which is basically saying "don't give things names". Nuit is telling us she has a secret name which she will give to someone, but that we should not be going around dividing ourselves with names. I'd read this as the removal of social constraints, racial groups, political divides etc.. The individual star is what is important, forget about the groups as "there cometh hurt".

But if we don't name things, why would we want to know Nuit's name? :D

Grigori

similia said:
When who knoweths her? Hadit? Are we waiting for Hadit to know Nuit so he can receive her secret name.

And if this line refers to Hadit, which in the context of the previous one it would seem to, what does it mean that Hadit does no know Nuit yet? I've had it in my head that I must find Hadit, as my way to find Nuit. But it seems Hadit may have some work to do also....

cardlady22

Can't resist another movie reference: Indian Summer
They all come back to camp as adults and discover that Uncle Lou had given them all the exact same "super secret Indian name" :eek:

Or the joke that gets passed around about a representative from each major religion being blindfolded & put into a room with an elephant they are told is "God" ~ each comes away with his own revelation. (just hope mine isn't a really yucky part!)

Always Wondering

similia said:
And if this line refers to Hadit, which in the context of the previous one it would seem to, what does it mean that Hadit does no know Nuit yet? I've had it in my head that I must find Hadit, as my way to find Nuit. But it seems Hadit may have some work to do also....

Because this could be a Chokmah verse I have been thinking about The Magus. Beth, or house. Wisdom.

Book of Thoth said:
The True Self is the meaning of the True Will: know Thyself through Thy Way.

If I am the Magus, or Hadit my work is to know myself, my true will.

cardlady22 said:
Can't resist another movie reference:
Let there be no difference made among you between any one thing & any other thing; for thereby there cometh hurt.

similia said:
I'd read this as the removal of social constraints, racial groups, political divides etc.. The individual star is what is important, forget about the groups as "there cometh hurt".

Then I won't resist referencing Dr. Seuss and his Star Belly Sneetches. It drove me crazy all yesterday. All I could think about was Seuss and his Sneetches. :laugh:

AW

Aeon418

Now, therefore, I am known to ye by my name Nuit, and to him by a secret name which I will give him when at last he knoweth me.

This can be interpreted on several different levels. The surface meaning seems to suggest that Crowley himself is being addressed here. The secret name that was given to him was BABALON.

On another level I sense that the name Nuit is merely an outer symbol or form that all can see and understand to some degree. But the secret name sounds far more intimate. Almost like something special you would only share with a lover. In that case I take the phrase, "knoweth me", in the biblical sense.

If the outer form of Nuit is a generic stand-in for the HGA, then the sceret name is that which is communicated upon the consumation of K&C?

Since I am Infinite Space, and the Infinite Stars thereof, do ye also thus. Bind nothing! Let there be no difference made among you between any one thing & any other thing; for thereby there cometh hurt.

Infinite Space Infinite Stars - ISIS.

I see this as Nuit saying that she is everything. To favour one part of her and reject another is absurd. All is (n)one. But not everything is part of our individual mode of Going, the Will. It seems that there really is a Chokmah flavour to this verse. I see this as tolerance and acceptance of the Will of others. (Not the modern day sham of Political correctness.)

I can also see this in how it applies to the self. It's quite common for us to split ourselves into different levels. We have that part of ourself which we like, and then there's the dark side that, even if we acknowledge it, we keep it hidden away to fester and poison our souls.
It's visible in the classic western separation of spirituality and sexuality. But Nuit tells us to "bind nothing". All is one. To split the self into different levels leads to hurt.
http://thelemicgoldendawn.net/documents/devil.htm

Aeon418

similia said:
I've had it in my head that I must find Hadit, as my way to find Nuit.
Then you're on the right track. Hadit is your Way. He is THAT which propels you toward Nuit. But stopping and looking for him is a waste of time. He manifests in the Going and the Doing. That's why there is no worship of Hadit. He is the worshipper.
Hadit is hidden in Nuit, and knows Her, She being an object of knowledge; but He is not knowable, for He is merely that part of Her which She formulates in order that She may be known.

ravenest

I see secret name as levels of manifestation, Nuit being a 'female' deity in a very 'rarified' sense, on a more subtle plane Isis, further down the manifestation - Babalon .... further down the chain - every woman.

Secret Name = Intimacy.

Always Wondering

I was having similar thoughts. Reflecting on Beth and how houses are family bloodlines. I was thinking about Similia's quest for Haddit and my instant but vague connections and how this study is helping us discover and trace our "blood lines" so to speak.
But I did not relate this to Nuit and women, which is a very lovely idea, Ravenest.

AW