King of Pentacles as Relationship Outcome

RainatDayBreak

I once got a relationship reading from a professional reader, and the King of Pentacles showed up in the outcome position. The reader told me that this meant money and practicality will trump romance. What do you guys think about this interpretation?

nisaba

I personally think it's a very shallow, book-learned interpretation.

As a reader, I'd look more to discussing issues of solidity, stability, reliability, as well as being somewhat fixed in your ideas and in your habits.

"Settling down", I believe the relationship pop-term is.

treestar

I agree with nisaba. I'd see this as a stable grounded dedicated romance; the pentacles are very nurturing and loving as well , it's not only about money but logic and order take the front seat most times. It's the underlying motive of love that is the driving force though. I personally love the pentacles in love readings (balanced out with a little cups) but then again I'm a virgo. It's a slower build but what is there is longer lasting and more stable than most.King of Pentacles for romantic future to me would read as this but also where the man takes the lead in most things. It is sensible practical and stable but also a true form of mature love. A man being driven to provide for and nurture a woman (and potentially a family) IS a form of romance in my book. ;) Just make sure the king dosn't get carried away with his prestige and the females needs are being met as well. This kind of romance would work best for someone with a chart dominated by earth and/or water signs.

Maru

When upright, he can be a great partner in life and even surprisingly romantic. His love is lowkey compared to the rest of the suits, but has more staying power than some of the "flashier" cards with focus as he treats relationships, material things, even his networking connections as forms of investment. Though because it's hard for him to be particularly creative and "original" when it comes to showing his affection, he tends to do this in more material ways, i.e. giving you things you can keep and appreciate for a long time to come. Though he can be a little dense when it comes to "showy" romantic gestures. He's more your average man, doesn't really get the "chick stuff" and finds it easy to be satisfied with "just as things are". So he's not going to be the adaptable King if you're the type who needs things to be shaken up every once in a while... when it comes to emotional stimulation, sexual stimulation, etc. Though like the QoP, he has an appreciation for sensuality... using his senses like touch, taste, smell, hearing, sight...

He would think that putting a roof over you and his family's head, buying you or upgrading your vehicle, giving you material things or otherwise making sure that you're relatively comfortable in life as a token of his love for you and his family.

My husband manifests in readings as King of Pentacles often, but this was not always the case. As he's gotten older, he's become more "goal-oriented", though he's always had his eye on the ball materially speaking.

I think that's a big deal to a KoP, he has to feel like he is creating some sense of progression for him and his family. His surrounding environment contributes a deal to his sense of wholeness. That said, he can be very outdoorsy. Loves the idea of hunting, fishing, doesn't mind getting dirty. Though in his older age he may start to become even a bit more concerned with his own appearances. Overall he gets his sense of fulfillment from enjoying the finer things in life... though he says it's about the experience, being able to take advantage of what life has to offer, not necessarily the price tag. Though money is prerequisite to opening doors to some of those things he enjoys the most and he likes the freedom to be able to enjoy life, the bounties of Earth so to speak...

My husband and I, were extremely frugal and he would be more than happy to throw entire checks into a debt to pay it off. Me not really being too materialistic, it doesn't bother me either way. But he prefers stability and views money as a form of investment (as well as his relationships) so that would be his main focal point here. However he does have a "softer" side and I think that some of that is the knight of cups that used to be his most frequent card still showing, but overall, pents is his most dominant suit.

If the reader suggested that money and material things would trump love, then it's possible this is what the reader "saw" and so may rule out other meanings. Though I guess it depends on whether they used intuition or just stuck with their own version of the card's meanings.

I think King of Pentacles can be short-sighted too and more focused on "concrete" things. Doesn't necessarily mean logical processes (like the swords) take completely over as much as he judges situations by what his past experiences or even his family roots may say he should do in a situation. Whatever his baseline in life, he stays very close to that and doesn't like to stray too far. Very steadfast to his principles as well, though I guess sometimes the ends justify the means for this King if he's pushed into a corner... especially if it would help to pad his own foundation in life, so say using your networking skills to land a long-term contract or otherwise help to pad your income.

Anything he does will be about setting a solid foundation... so if his upbringing taught him that money/comfort was the bridge to self-fulfillment and feeling whole/complete (very important to him), he will likely lean that way. On the other hand, you can run into a King of Pentacles who is more earthy, like literally down-to-earth. Yes, he believes in a good foundation the same as the other, but he may have been nurtured in his upbringing to believe it's about the experience not only in the right environments, but with the right people, about creating the conditions that would make it possible for a loving family to flourish and may even be a bit of a traveler... he would almost certainly look for a like mate, but both do believe wholeheartedly that the decisions and conditions for a relationship should be based on what would work in the long-term... King of Pentacles is very grounded.

I think Pents in general are more likely than any other suit to remain at least fairly connected to his roots. So family, traditions, etc would be of importance to him...

Edited some.

RainatDayBreak

I personally think it's a very shallow, book-learned interpretation.

As a reader, I'd look more to discussing issues of solidity, stability, reliability, as well as being somewhat fixed in your ideas and in your habits.

"Settling down", I believe the relationship pop-term is.

I think both interpretations are possible so I suppose the correct interpretation would depend on the surrounding cards and the reader's intuition. I think the professional reader I mentioned---I think her interpretation was right for that reading, but I'm hoping yours is right for this other reading I recently did. :) (The KoP actually showed up as a clarification card for the 9 of cups so I think there's hope, hah!)

I agree with nisaba. I'd see this as a stable grounded dedicated romance; the pentacles are very nurturing and loving as well , it's not only about money but logic and order take the front seat most times. It's the underlying motive of love that is the driving force though. I personally love the pentacles in love readings (balanced out with a little cups) but then again I'm a virgo. It's a slower build but what is there is longer lasting and more stable than most.King of Pentacles for romantic future to me would read as this but also where the man takes the lead in most things. It is sensible practical and stable but also a true form of mature love. A man being driven to provide for and nurture a woman (and potentially a family) IS a form of romance in my book. ;) Just make sure the king dosn't get carried away with his prestige and the females needs are being met as well. This kind of romance would work best for someone with a chart dominated by earth and/or water signs.

Heh, I'm a Pisces, but I'm more often represented by wands than by pentacles so too many pentacles in relationship readings make me want to cry. But I agree with you that KoP does mean mature love and, well, it's all good when *you* are the one he thinks he needs to provide for.

If the reader suggested that money and material things would trump love, then it's possible this is what the reader "saw" and so may rule out other meanings. Though I guess it depends on whether they used intuition or just stuck with their own version of the card's meanings.

Yes, I think it's what she saw, and I think it was accurate for that reading. I'm glad it's not the only interpretation of KoP though...because that would be depressing. This card shows up all the time for me...

I think King of Pentacles can be short-sighted too and more focused on "concrete" things. Doesn't necessarily mean logical processes (like the swords) take completely over as much as he judges situations by what his past experiences or even his family roots may say he should do in a situation. Whatever his baseline in life, he stays very close to that and doesn't like to stray too far. Very steadfast to his principles as well, though I guess sometimes the ends justify the means for this King if he's pushed into a corner... especially if it would help to pad his own foundation in life, so say using your networking skills to land a long-term contract or otherwise help to pad your income.

Anything he does will be about setting a solid foundation... so if his upbringing taught him that money/comfort was the bridge to self-fulfillment and feeling whole/complete (very important to him), he will likely lean that way. On the other hand, you can run into a King of Pentacles who is more earthy, like literally down-to-earth. Yes, he believes in a good foundation the same as the other, but he may have been nurtured in his upbringing to believe it's about the experience not only in the right environments, but with the right people, about creating the conditions that would make it possible for a loving family to flourish and may even be a bit of a traveler... he would almost certainly look for a like mate, but both do believe wholeheartedly that the decisions and conditions for a relationship should be based on what would work in the long-term... King of Pentacles is very grounded.

I think Pents in general are more likely than any other suit to remain at least fairly connected to his roots. So family, traditions, etc would be of importance to him...

I think your description of the KoP as a person is spot on! For a long, long time I was in love with KoP (I still am, but I'm letting it go). As beautiful and amazing as he was, well, I guess I wished for a Knight of Cups or even a Knight of Wands. Not because I wanted him to be different but because I wanted him to choose me instead of other things.

I was not the woman traditional and family values told him he should be with...

A Knight of Wands wouldn't care and a Knight of Cups maybe wouldn't be able to help himself. But a King of Pentacles, well, the King will always do the right thing from his perspective.

But he will always be *my* King of Pentacles, which is also why I get confused every time KoP shows up in readings of my other relationships...

headincloud

Seeing you asked about relationship rather than business I'd read a stable, reliable, secure relationship.

The King of Pentacles can represent commitment and solidity, but in what form? I have seen the King of Pentacles show a man who was committed to following through on financial assistance for his ex (something that happened when they were together), but he was NOT committing to a relationship with her again. I'm sure that was an unusual situation, but it makes me wonder if the King of Pentacles is more focused on being practical than being concerned with emotional support.

On a different note, the King of Pentacles can also mean a man with an earth zodiac sign. I often interpret court cards to be based on someone's zodiac sign first. Later on, that same person may take the shape of another court card for a while, depending on their actions in a particular situation. So another possibility is that you will meet a man who is a Virgo, Capricorn or Taurus. You may already be in a relationship with someone else, though, but sometimes the cards will tell me "No, look at this next person" when I'm still asking about a current person who is fading away.

IndigoWaves

If you've been waiting for a particular guy to "do something", i.e. initiate a desired relationship or move one forward, that outcome might not happen unless you can really light a fire in and under him. Physical encounters aside, this person is about as slow and stubborn as it gets (at least regarding you/this connection), even to the point of inaction. He may be too set in his ways and/or not feeling enough motivation to go further... So, this card may just show your awareness of him, comfortably ruling his own earthy kingdom in the end.

If you're already in a satisfying relationship with a King of Pents and don't want him to change, or "something more" than he wants, then he's probably not going anywhere... But the focus may be so much on him in this case that you're considered to be more of a "pleasing possession" than an equally-important person.