Five of Swords as advice for behavior

Farzon

The usual thing: card came up in my weekly spread (12 cards) in the given position, can't make much on it myself...

I'm wondering if it means that I shouldn't shy away from conflict, maybe even engage in it? Or that I should be prepared for conflict in a way that I can't be defeated, think the possibilities through and get my arguments ready?

IndigoWaves

It might be advising that you "choose your battles wisely" -- because you risk being unexpectedly outsmarted and painfully defeated, or cruelly/unnecessarily hurting someone else. (Whatever's been going on in your life lately, and other cards in the reading, may help to clarify which of these scenarios, if either, actually fits.)

headincloud

It could be warning you you're acting without conscience or something similar.

elena_jaymz

Hi, it sounds like don't act out of spite, as it serves you nothing, it would be an empty victory. Just an idea!

DDwarks

To me it sounds more like an advice to be selfish, to put yourself your needs and your wants first.

Enlightenment23

Whenever I get this card, it's either advice to walk away from a situation I've been trying to conquer because, the truth is, it's not worth it and it will be a lose-lose situation no matter what I do.

It can also be a card advising me to "play dirty." Do what you have to do get what you want - even if that means getting a little mud on your hands.

Farzon

It might be advising that you "choose your battles wisely" -- because you risk being unexpectedly outsmarted and painfully defeated, or cruelly/unnecessarily hurting someone else. (Whatever's been going on in your life lately, and other cards in the reading, may help to clarify which of these scenarios, if either, actually fits.)
Yeah, that could fit. I have a difficult situation at work right now and tend to give in to my negative emotions too quickly. But then, why is it an advice on how to behave and not a warning?
It could be warning you you're acting without conscience or something similar.
Or rather an encouragement to do so? After all, it was an advice position.
Hi, it sounds like don't act out of spite, as it serves you nothing, it would be an empty victory. Just an idea!
As I said above, there is a troublesome situation in my job right now. I thought it through and came to the conclusion that a fight won't be worth it and would rather work against my own interests...
To me it sounds more like an advice to be selfish, to put yourself your needs and your wants first.
I really tend to favor your interpretation. It really fits the position for which I drew the card. Nevertheless, it strangely fits the idea of a warning a stated by others. Putting my needs first in this situation means to pursue my goals rather than to let myself be defeated by the power of authority.

Whenever I get this card, it's either advice to walk away from a situation I've been trying to conquer because, the truth is, it's not worth it and it will be a lose-lose situation no matter what I do.

It can also be a card advising me to "play dirty." Do what you have to do get what you want - even if that means getting a little mud on your hands.

Well, I'm sorry that I don't have very much left to say to your post... it pretty much sums up the conclusion I have come to, as well!

headincloud

It can also read selfless sacrifice or overcoming major obstacles as opposed to selfishness according to truly teach me tarot.

IndigoWaves

Yeah, that could fit. I have a difficult situation at work right now and tend to give in to my negative emotions too quickly. But then, why is it an advice on how to behave and not a warning?
Actually, "admitting defeat" and dropping the issue may be the "how to behave/advice" element that you're seeking... Because if you're having conflicts with an authority and this card has appeared, I'd be most inclined to see them as the victorious central figure -- self-assuredly smug even if unfairness is resorted to, because their position grants them overpowering abilities and more ways to come out on top.

So, "fighting a losing battle" comes to mind... Which you seem to have the option to end/walk away from, like the background figures: Since they're alive and apparently uninjured, aside from hurt pride, it's very possible that they had decided to drop their swords and surrender in order to save their skins (-which in this case might even be your job -- if it's worth saving, that is)...

Farzon

Actually, "admitting defeat" and dropping the issue may be the "how to behave/advice" element that you're seeking... Because if you're having conflicts with an "authority" and this card has appeared, I'd be most inclined to see them as the victorious central figure -- self-assuredly smug even if unfairness is resorted to, because their position grants them overpowering abilities and more ways to come out on top.

So, "fighting a losing battle" comes to mind... Which you seem to have the option to end/walk away from, like the background figures: Since they're alive and apparently uninjured, aside from hurt pride, it's very possible that they had decided to drop their swords in order to save their skins (-which in this case might even be your job -- if it's worth saving, that is)...
Yeah, you're pretty right on this I think. Even if it's not so much about saving my job (conflicts are very well dealt with in our company - or let's say, it's accepted that they will occur) but about saving my own energy to invest it into constructive measures.