2 of cups as an obstacle???

@rtemouri

I'd read some sort of difficulty in accomplishing the mutual trust and balanced co-operation of the 2C, perhaps one of them will be slow to trust or has been hurt in the past. In the 4S there may be contemplation around the relationship, kinda like deciding if they want to take it down the road of 2C.
Yes so we may have a 2ofC mutual feelings situation but they may stay thinking about the relationship or the potential of it and dont actually do something about it.

Maru

This may or may not apply to your context, but these are alternative meanings. I sometimes get 2oC as someone who is up my sh*t, people who are constantly trying to get in my business or otherwise give me a headache. So someone who is literally in my face every time I try to get something done, either progress in some matter or in life in general. This could apply to someone at work.

So maybe a mother figure, or a female figure in his life who just always seems to be there when they're about to do something else, start a task.

So the cup would be something they bring to the situation, it's implications. It could be something as heavy as codependency issues or could even be they easily feel smothered by other individuals around them, are constantly "irritated" by these little (though well-meaning) interruptions...

Ill-dignified I've gotten it for the sweet tongued woman or man who comes in to "offer" their side of things. I.e. sharing their "bad vibes" around... some people are really well deceived by these people. In romantic relationships, they could be at-worse a secret admirer or someone whose intentions are rooted in jealousy, purely in terms of preventing your relationship to unfold with them by keeping the other party busy by creating small distractions, keeping them busy with invitations, etc...

A mother can do this to a son if she doesn't want him to leave the nest, etc.

The general energy though is "smothering" or otherwise blocking that person from going their own course.

Star&QueenOfCups

I got this!

2 of Cups- dating
4 of Swords- period of nothing going on, rest, rejuvenation

The meanings that resonate more with me.. That would simply mean that things will stay as they are- in meeting/dating phase and arent evolving in something more..
It potentially could also point out that one (or even both of them) are still in the dating scene..

The advice position and the rest of the thread could point towards ways to deepen the relations but, I'd feel that patience and after some time the question "so.. :) what should I tell the other guys that want to date me?" needs to come into play!

nisaba

The Two Cups is not really about heart-love: it's about chemistry, physical attraction and passion. This can burn out pretty quickly. Also, if you are attracted to someone for - say - their looks or their risky behaviour, you might run the risk of being "otherwise occupied" with them and missing out on even noticing a person with whom you might develop a deep lifelong heart-connection, something the Two Cups definitely doesn't offer.

@rtemouri

This may or may not apply to your context, but these are alternative meanings. I sometimes get 2oC as someone who is up my sh*t, people who are constantly trying to get in my business or otherwise give me a headache. So someone who is literally in my face every time I try to get something done, either progress in some matter or in life in general. This could apply to someone at work.

So maybe a mother figure, or a female figure in his life who just always seems to be there when they're about to do something else, start a task.

So the cup would be something they bring to the situation, it's implications. It could be something as heavy as codependency issues or could even be they easily feel smothered by other individuals around them, are constantly "irritated" by these little (though well-meaning) interruptions...

Ill-dignified I've gotten it for the sweet tongued woman or man who comes in to "offer" their side of things. I.e. sharing their "bad vibes" around... some people are really well deceived by these people. In romantic relationships, they could be at-worse a secret admirer or someone whose intentions are rooted in jealousy, purely in terms of preventing your relationship to unfold with them by keeping the other party busy by creating small distractions, keeping them busy with invitations, etc...

A mother can do this to a son if she doesn't want him to leave the nest, etc.

The general energy though is "smothering" or otherwise blocking that person from going their own course.

That's very interesting maru.I've never had the 2ofC in a reading like that.I always expect to see the empress, or hp, or a court card to indicate something like that.Especially for a smothering mother i would expect to see the empress!The idea of a secret admirer is also interesting.So it may represent someone who is trying to do 'his thing' and this might be the obstacle for something new with my friend.

@rtemouri

I got this!

2 of Cups- dating
4 of Swords- period of nothing going on, rest, rejuvenation

The meanings that resonate more with me.. That would simply mean that things will stay as they are- in meeting/dating phase and arent evolving in something more..
It potentially could also point out that one (or even both of them) are still in the dating scene..

The advice position and the rest of the thread could point towards ways to deepen the relations but, I'd feel that patience and after some time the question "so.. :) what should I tell the other guys that want to date me?" needs to come into play!
Yes i think that it's also possible that it means that the thing won't go far away..The rest of the cards of the spread didn't indicate something bad or another woman in the scene but i can't be sure... :)

@rtemouri

The Two Cups is not really about heart-love: it's about chemistry, physical attraction and passion. This can burn out pretty quickly. Also, if you are attracted to someone for - say - their looks or their risky behaviour, you might run the risk of being "otherwise occupied" with them and missing out on even noticing a person with whom you might develop a deep lifelong heart-connection, something the Two Cups definitely doesn't offer.
Yes i like your point of view.I'm starting to think after all this comments, that it's possible that the 2ofC show that there is chemistry and physical attraction, but it's based on things that you imagine for the other maybe from both sides (because they've just met).And that is why it's in the obstacle position and a 4ofS situation is needed to decide if to proceed or not.

missing out on even noticing a person with whom you might develop a deep lifelong heart-connection, something the Two Cups definitely doesn't offer.
I like this one, 'noticing' is the 4ofS right?How about 'now you are at the 2ofC phase but when you start noticing some things about them you will think differently'?

JoyousGirl

I'm thinking this has something to do with your friend wanting to know where she stands instead of just letting things flow naturally.

By this I mean her asking him whether they're boyfriend and girlfriend or how does he feel about her - those sort of questions that she might keep wondering - but shouldn't keep asking. If the obstacle is the 2 of cups, they seem to be saying vows kind of thing. So she shouldn't get upset if he hangs out with other people, shouldn't give him ultimatums, shouldn't treat it as a commitment, basically. Courtship is a dance, which is what they sort of also look like they're doing.

I know I don't like being dragged into doing something, or feel like I'm obliged to do something - so perhaps this is what the 4 represents, her simply taking it easy.

@rtemouri

I'm thinking this has something to do with your friend wanting to know where she stands instead of just letting things flow naturally.

By this I mean her asking him whether they're boyfriend and girlfriend or how does he feel about her - those sort of questions that she might keep wondering - but shouldn't keep asking. If the obstacle is the 2 of cups, they seem to be saying vows kind of thing. So she shouldn't get upset if he hangs out with other people, shouldn't give him ultimatums, shouldn't treat it as a commitment, basically. Courtship is a dance, which is what they sort of also look like they're doing.

I know I don't like being dragged into doing something, or feel like I'm obliged to do something - so perhaps this is what the 4 represents, her simply taking it easy.
Thank you for posting a different view!so the obstacle of the 2ofC is that it's too early for her to think about commitment or a serious relationship, so relax and wait and see.Yes it's possible :)

Barleywine

Thank you for posting a different view!so the obstacle of the 2ofC is that it's to early for her to think about commitment or a serious relationship, so relax and wait and see.Yes it's possible :)

I think that's a fair assessment. Somewhere I saw the 2 of Cups described as "new love" (even "puppy love" among the very young), and the 4 of Swords is simply saying "Wait and see." The obstacle would be the fragile nature of that "newness."