1 sitter - 2 readers - can you pose same question?!

seeker7

How would you feel as a new reader, if someone more seasoned gave a different answer to the same question? Wouldn't you be discouraged that you might have been wrong? The reading exchange is a very friendly sandbox, and I myself would not want to discourage anyone else. I haven't forgotten how hard it is for others to put themselves out there for their first (or tenth!) go round.

I can see the 'intimidating' aspect to it, however, I'd still like to know if I got it right or along the same lines as them or not.

I have offered my interpretation many times on threads where others post their readings and seeking second opinion, and then I have always compared my interpretation with that of the others (espp the more experienced ones!) to see the differences/similarities and so on!

I guess different people have different styles of learning, and I guess reader A's approach was very considerate to reader B, which I can understand and appreciate and accept!

olivia1

Hi guys! :)

Hope you're all well!

I was wondering what your view is on sitters that pose the same question they asked you, to another reader (without you necessarily knowing the reasons behind it).

if i am getting money out of it, i wouldnt care. when i first started reading here, i used to feel bad when sitters would ask me a question then ask another reader the same question. it made me feel bad, like they didnt trust what i was saying. i also found it annoying because almost always (if the sitter didnt like the answer) the sitter would come back and go, "well, you're wrong because another reader told me this would happen and I believe them." after enough of that though, i pretty much stopped caring...they're the sitter, they can do what theyu want. But i probably wouldnt want to read for them again unless i was really bored. I figure, why bother if they're just going to turn around and ask someone else the same question anyway then get upset with me (or discount me) if they didnt like the cards i pulled for them?

... this is a learning forum. The sitter, as well as the reader are here to learn from each other.

Honest opinions are welcome...!! :)

i was under the impression that this is a learning environment, too. I suppose that means discussing cards and exchanging readings and sharing our opinions/observations about cards.

you said:

Personally, I think asking the same question to two different readers should not be frowned upon, because this is a learning forum. The sitter, as well as the reader are here to learn from each other.

not to be mean but how are you contributing by asking the same question to different readers? sure, you can give feedback but what does your feedback bring to that table if you've already given feedback for a similar question?

im not trying to hurt your feelings, im just genuinely trying to understand where you are coming from

GoldenWolf

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=172479

This thread was just posted yesterday so you may not have seen it yet. Just as you can accept offers of readings, the readers can set their own criteria of who they wish to read for and/or refuse to read for people if they wish. One criteria that can be used as grounds for refusal is if a sitter has another reading going on in another thread. "Going on" can include signing up even if the reading isn't completed yet. Readers can tell if you are signed up in other threads by checking your recent posts.

I don't participate in reading exchanges here so I'm pretty neutral on this issue. I can tell you though from reading for other people for years that you will learn more as a reader than you will as a sitter. Also, readings for feedback only seem pretty popular around here. Why not let other people have a crack at being a sitter if it's a good learning experience?

If you're already posting interpretations in "Your Readings", they only thing you aren't doing is laying out the cards in a spread and doing the interpretations from scratch. I'd encourage you to take the leap and offer some readings yourself. If nothing else, you will appreciate the reader's side of the table so to speak.

seeker7

not to be mean but how are you contributing by asking the same question to different readers? sure, you can give feedback but what does your feedback bring to that table if you've already given feedback for a similar question?

im not trying to hurt your feelings, im just genuinely trying to understand where you are coming from

Maybe this is what Catmoon was trying to convey and we got lost in misunderstandings...anyway....

my feedback would have been a comparison of the two readings. depending which one I would have gotten first, I would have commented on the similarities and so on. I would have given each reader feedback on their individual readings as well of course... whereas for my learning.. again... comparing the two perspectives reflecting on their interpretation of the cards, reflecting on the different styles of reading they would have had and so on...also as different decks were being used, it was something to think about further as well!

olivia1

Maybe this is what Catmoon was trying to convey and we got lost in misunderstandings...anyway....

my feedback would have been a comparison of the two readings. depending which one I would have gotten first, I would have commented on the similarities and so on. I would have given each reader feedback on their individual readings as well of course... whereas for my learning.. again... comparing the two perspectives reflecting on their interpretation of the cards, reflecting on the different styles of reading they would have had and so on...also as different decks were being used, it was something to think about further as well!

im speaking for myself, of course, but as a reader, i would not want someone to compare my readings to someone else. i would want all comments and feedback to be based on the merit of the reading i gave alone. i dont want to feel like im in competition with someone else or as if the feedback you are giving me is factoring in the other reading too.

also, what kind of feedback do you give? do you give your own take of the cards based on your own experience from the time you have devoted to studying and diligently practicing? because if so that is very valuable feedback (no matter how new you are, i think) and if that was the kind of feedback you gave me,i'd factor in the fact that at least you gave some very valuable feedback so maybe i would be ok with it? i dont know, that is a very good question.

seeker7

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=172479

This thread was just posted yesterday so you may not have seen it yet. Just as you can accept offers of readings, the readers can set their own criteria of who they wish to read for and/or refuse to read for people if they wish. One criteria that can be used as grounds for refusal is if a sitter has another reading going on in another thread. "Going on" can include signing up even if the reading isn't completed yet. Readers can tell if you are signed up in other threads by checking your recent posts.

Of course, and I respect that, however, the feeling I picked up was that of annoyance and it made me feel bad, like I'd done something wrong!... and this is what I wanted to get opinions on!

I don't participate in reading exchanges here so I'm pretty neutral on this issue. I can tell you though from reading for other people for years that you will learn more as a reader than you will as a sitter. Also, readings for feedback only seem pretty popular around here. Why not let other people have a crack at being a sitter if it's a good learning experience?

As I mentioned it previously I have been giving it serious thought and have been on the verge of doing it, but get cold feet! I haven't dismissed it though, just going with the flow so that I feel comfortable with it, can focus, and have the intention to do readings, instead of getting in an emotionally flapping state at the thought of it! :p ... hope it makes sense!!

If you're already posting interpretations in "Your Readings", they only thing you aren't doing is laying out the cards in a spread and doing the interpretations from scratch. I'd encourage you to take the leap and offer some readings yourself. If nothing else, you will appreciate the reader's side of the table so to speak.

I guess you're right... :) This thread might very likely lead to me posting a new one offering readings next week!! haha! thanks for the encouragement! :)

MountainGirl

How would you feel as a new reader, if someone more seasoned gave a different answer to the same question? Wouldn't you be discouraged that you might have been wrong?

I'm very new here at AT and haven't offered readings yet, but when I'm ready to do so, I would LOVE to have other, especially more experienced readers, answer the same question, so I could learn from their approaches. I don't believe there is a "right" or "wrong" in a tarot reading, it's not a math problem. And having different perspectives would take a lot of pressure off me to provide the "ultimate" answer to the sitter.

However, I can also understand that some readers might feel annoyed, as if their reading skills are being questioned. How about having a separate thread for people who want several readings on the same question and readers are free to take it or leave it?

Just my newby opinion,
MountainGirls

seeker7

im speaking for myself, of course, but as a reader, i wouldnt want someone to compare my readings to someone else, i would want it to be based on the merit of the reading i gave alone. and i feel other readers deserve that too. also, i dont really find readings where people just give me personal feedback to be helpful.

I can completely see that! My intention would be more of making the comparison in a constructive way and out of curiosity! Especially if we are supposed to take readings with a pinch of salt! Maybe my lack of experience as a reader makes me feel/think like this.

what kind of feedback do you give? do you give your own take of the cards based on your own experience from studying and practicing?

I usually inform them if their reading reflects the situation or not, or any circumstances which might link to the reading, depending on the question asked. I haven't done this many times, but usually my feedback would more be based on whether it makes sense to me considering the situation (a touch of intuitive feedback if you know what I mean!)

I refrain from taking my own interpretation on the cards however, because by doing so, I'd feel like I would be taking over the reading, if you know what I mean. When someone offers me a reading as they want to practice and want feedback, I'd make it more about them and how their interpretation fits, rather than turning the table and proposing my own interpretation.

I can see giving my own take as a constructive way of giving feedback in such instances though, however, I can see that working for some, but not all readers!

gypsylady

I have to say that there are people on here who seem to take advantage of getting free readings but never offer their own...
I will also say that I would not be happy having my reading compared to someone else's and asking the same question to several readers does verge on being greedy and takes up space that someone else could have used (and I am just speaking generally here)

seeker7

I'm very new here at AT and haven't offered readings yet, but when I'm ready to do so, I would LOVE to have other, especially more experienced readers, answer the same question, so I could learn from their approaches. I don't believe there is a "right" or "wrong" in a tarot reading, it's not a math problem. And having different perspectives would take a lot of pressure off me to provide the "ultimate" answer to the sitter.

This is what makes me shy away from offering readings myself as I'd dread the thought of someone going away with solely my advice/interpretation and making choices based on that! But I guess it's newbies shyness that will wear off :D!

However, I can also understand that some readers might feel annoyed, as if their reading skills are being questioned. How about having a separate thread for people who want several readings on the same question and readers are free to take it or leave it?

Just my newby opinion,
MountainGirls

Haha! ideally it would be nice but I think if they allowed that a lot of people would sign up just to request readings!! :p