1 sitter - 2 readers - can you pose same question?!

seeker7

I have to say that there are people on here who seem to take advantage of getting free readings but never offer their own...
I will also say that I would not be happy having my reading compared to someone else's and asking the same question to several readers does verge on being greedy and takes up space that someone else could have used (and I am just speaking generally here)

Yes, fair enough but I guess I was just being an opportunist there and giving it a shot as it was available!

I have offered my own interpretation a lot more than sat for readers here, and that is as far as I have felt comfortable doing so far!

This is the thing... it would not be compared on whether you were right or wrong... for me it would purely be based on the process behind the readings... what the messages were, what cards came up, how they were interpreted and so on.

Maybe some of the readers here have a lot more experience with AT and have had to deal with many trying to take advantage of offered readings and I can understand how that might influence opinions!

In a way I'm glad I posted this. It did exactly what I hoped it would.. and that is make me see the other side!!

MountainGirl

Haha! ideally it would be nice but I think if they allowed that a lot of people would sign up just to request readings!! :p

And IMO, that would be perfectly fine since both sitters and readers would know that this could happen and are free to participate or not. To me, it comes down to informed choice.

blessings,
MountainGirl

AJ

All other issues aside, the ideal situation would be for you to offer 3 or 8 or 10 readings, for a reading in exchange, all on the same thread. And then ask everyone signed up to read on the identical question.
Then they can offer honest feedback for your readings, and you can satisfy your curiosity about how the different readers and decks respond. Don't compare readers though, we all come from different viewpoints.

But to compare readings for the same question on two different threads in feedback? :)
I'd lunge through the monitor and pinch your head :)

MountainGirl

All other issues aside, the ideal situation would be for you to offer 3 or 8 or 10 readings, for a reading in exchange, all on the same thread. And then ask everyone signed up to read on the identical question.
QUOTE]

Great idea! I might just try that as an academic exercise. After I see how the reading in the newby exchange goes that I just signed up for :)

Blessings,
Mountain Girl

Wendywu

Then they can offer honest feedback for your readings, and you can satisfy your curiosity about how the different readers and decks respond. Don't compare readers though, we all come from different viewpoints.

This is a good idea. I think the best policy is honesty with readers - if you are going to ask the same question over and over you should at least tell your reader that you have asked/are going to ask another reader the same question so that you can compare answers, and give the readers the chance to say "thanks but no thanks".

If they are happy with the idea then go ahead, but not to mention what you are doing is I think a little discourteous at best, and could be seen as offensive by the readers at worst.

As AJ says, opening your own reading thread and offering readings in return for all sitters reading on the same question for you would be the most open way of comparing readings, although I have to say that you might find uptake of your offer a little slow.

The sitters who ask the same question repeatedly hoping for the answer they want to hear are a different kettle of fish altogether, and whilst I understand their desperation, it is difficult to tell someone in very real emotional distress that this kind of behaviour isn't going to help.

DownwardSpiral

Personally, I think asking the same question to two different readers should not be frowned upon, because this is a learning forum. The sitter, as well as the reader are here to learn from each other.

My opinion is that if you are here to learn, then why not have fun and see if the same message comes out from another reader, or how different messages might come through...or how different cards are interpreted to convey the same message, or how similar cards are interpreted differently.

I have also seen the same question asked over and over first in Tarot, then on to oracle, and then on to the divination threads as well.

I've read through this thread and I get the feeling most people are missing the point above, that it was for FUN just to see what came out.

Just curious Seeker...is this the first time you've done this? Or do you always ask the same question more than once? (which would lead people to believe your looking for the "right" answer)

I like the idea of doing a reading exchange....but I would limit it to 2 other readers and choose a general question such as anything to watch out for/anything to look forward to. A question that wouldn't have a specific answer and then everyone could relax and just have fun with it. LOL you could all receive 2 readings.

DownwardSpiral

How would you feel as a new reader, if someone more seasoned gave a different answer to the same question? Wouldn't you be discouraged that you might have been wrong? The reading exchange is a very friendly sandbox, and I myself would not want to discourage anyone else. I haven't forgotten how hard it is for others to put themselves out there for their first (or tenth!) go round.

Sometimes I go to the "your readings" and see the "seasoned" readers all giving different interpretations of the same reading so it really wouldn't matter if your "new" or not.

If I have enough confidence to offer readings than I'm going to give my interpretation and if someone else reads on the same question I would expect them to give their interpretation. More than likely the intepretations will vary because the cards will vary.

To answer the original question....once in a while...for fun...I don't see anything wrong with it. But NOT as a habit....asking EVERY question at least twice....then I would say NO.

Kosjitov

Sometimes I go to the "your readings" and see the "seasoned" readers all giving different interpretations of the same reading so it really wouldn't matter if your "new" or not.

And in the "Your Readings" section, it is requested to have multiple sources of feedback. In the "Reading Exchange" it isn't. In this specific case, the OP was discussing something that happened in the Reading Exchange, not Your Readings. :)

Grizabella

I've only read some of the thread, not all, but wanted to contribute while I still have the time online.

I don't see anything wrong with asking the same question of two readers. After all, in my opinion, part of learning is seeing how you compare with others' methods and work. It wouldn't bother me one bit. I've been at it for quite awhile but I never stop learning, so I'm always interested in observing as well as doing.

canid

I think catmoon meant self-conscious, not self-centered. And was trying to get the point across that if you offer to do a few readings that'll give you feedback which will help your confidence & skills. I may be a bit put off if this happened to me only because you didn't state you were planning on doing that - perhaps if you state at it the outset, that will resolve the issue. Then that person has the option of reading for you or not & won't be surprised or offended & think 'what, I'm not good enough?' when they see you posing the same thing to someone else. Why would you do that anyway, by the way? Testing your own interpretations? Just curious.