14 and under readings ?

Sophie

Crowqueen said:
However I've read that many people reading for children take the nasty cards like the Devil, Death, and the Ten of Swords out of the deck. I personally would do the same. Or I'd use something like the Goddess Tarot, which is good at turning negatives into positives - not something I like as rule for adults, but they are better at handling the more intense imagery in some decks.
I don't agree. Most fairytales and children's stories have much worse imagery than the Devil or Death. It's only our cowardly era (cowardly adults, that is) that bowdlerises children's stories.

The wolf eats the grandma and the little red riding hood - remember?

Crowqueen

True, Helv. Perhaps by sanitising things we are doing children a disservice. Though perhaps it is put in a more roundabout way in stories. And there is a big difference between the Big Bad Wolf - almost a comic character in some other stories - and the Devil as depicted in some of my decks!

I did know a puppeteer while I was in Poland who was shocked at the malice children could show towards his puppets. It opened him up to understanding the things children were actually capable of and actually led him to pull fewer punches in his stories and shows.

Lurea

The only children I've read for were my own--so I had my own permission :). I used the Whimsical or the Inner Child Cards. Both of these deal wonderfully with traditionally negative cards like the Devil and Death, in a fairytale format that children understand easily. I found that the fairytale format also helps keep the reading in proper bounds--the kids understand that this is "just for today" or "just one story" and that tomorrow the story might be different.

Kids are magical, but they also tend to believe what grown-ups tell them. I would be very worried about a reading overly influencing a youngster and perhaps setting up a self-fulfilling prophecy situation. Heck, that happens even when a grown-up says something casual like "he's a shy one, isn't he?". Next thing you know, the kid is saying, "But I can't do that, I'm shy!"

Given the impressiveness of the cards, I think that might be even more likely to happen with a reading.

Edge

Helvetica said:
Most fairytales and children's stories have much worse imagery than the Devil or Death.

I've never read for children and I have two of my own. My first impressions after reading these threads was against it. I mean whats really the point of it. Then after seeing your comments I kinda had a change of mind on it. Helvetica, you make a great point. The imagery that most children are subjected to in today's society is far worse than any tarot imagery or symbolism in any deck. So I say if you must read for children then go for it, I would use caution though.

SerpentaAzothi

Hi guys, I should have realized their were decks for kids lol. I also feel uncomfortable reading for children, I just feel I cant give accurate readings to them cause I am not in their mindset. All your thoughts are very interesting thanks.

Serpenta

Sophie

Edge said:
So I say if you must read for children then go for it, I would use caution though.
Definitely we have to use caution. I think Lurea made a good point. Children - many children (not all) - are very suggestible. We have to make sure we, as influential adults, don't over-suggest something. That's why I like story so much. Story contains archetypes that children can interpret very well. Linked to the imagery of tarot, it creates powerful moments within the child. You can almost see it happening - the click inside, when a child starts making connections and continuing the story in his own mind.

It's also why I like drawing meaning with the child herself, rather than imposing interpretations. "What do you see here? What does it make you think? How do you get on with people at school? How are you with your teacher?" Rather than tell the child "you are lonely and have trouble making friends" or "you are going to have trouble with your teacher". Actually, even with adults I don't like doing that - I'd much rather make the reading something dynamic and empowering.

TemperanceAngel

I have read for many children and teenagers and have even ran a Teen Tarot Workshop. The teens in the workshop had such an immediate understanding of the cards, it was amazing.
The readings have been wonderful. I use RWS, so if any "scary" looking cards came up ie: Death I explained the card which helped to dissipate any fear.
Eg: Reading for 12 yo female = Death as the transition into adolescence.

The first time I read for a child I tended not to focus on things (she was 7) that I figured were not so positive. But realised that, like anyone, the girl was aware of what was happening in her life. Her teacher at school had been difficult for her, making that school year a not so enjoyable one.

After that experience I decided to be open and up front with children, in a loving way (like all my readings). As I did this, I found that all children and teens responded so openly to what I said and seemed more than happy to discuss things and listen to any advice.

In my experience, a big yes to reading for 14 and under. The experiences always being rewarding and enriching.

Edited to add: About being cautious, I think that any professional reader should adhere to this whether they are reading for children or adults.
Common sense really helps when reading for under 14's (and over).

Judy Z

The Inner Child Deck is a fabulous deck to use for reading with children. No scary images, but the card meanings are still capable of great depth. Every thing is approached in a positive, affirming way. It's also a good deck to use with adult who might be frightened by the traditional RWS imagery.

I did a couple of school benefits and this deck worked very well. The readings do tend to be about the child's personality and talents moreso than the future. The older, more sophisticated children will have more questions about the future, but the Inner Child still handles them well.

Sincerely,
Judy Z.