2006 Favourite deck votes

firemaiden

The Victorian Romantic really has my heart this year, of course I didn't not interract with every deck put out this year, so it is an unfair contest.

Magic Realism has tough competition from itself. The Fantastic Menagerie would get my vote if it were not for the Victorian Romantic. LOL.

I'm curious why the Sheridan Douglas is liked at all.

As for favorite of all time, I haven't voted yet, it's kind of a hard question. I normally would say the Thoth.

Little Baron

firemaiden said:
I'm curious why the Sheridan Douglas is liked at all.

From what I have seen of it [even though I don't own it], I think it appeals to the person that likes a nice crisp answer and also room to play about with numbers, colour and stark mood. In a similar way to the Marseille. Maybe for the person that doesn't like pussy-footing about with this and that symbol, bunnies in the garden and faeries dropping in from every corner, lol. Just an idea. I also think it's 70s style is quite a nostalgic flavour for many. I have noticed that two of it's fans are Sulis and Moonbow who both appreciate the simplicity of the Marseille.

LB

Sidhe-Ra

LittleBuddha said:
I decided to vote for one that I didn't have and have not used - the 'Tarot of the Sidhe'. Helvetica showed me her 'majors only' in London.
At last, a deck with energy. Not just unemotionally pumped out as a commercial exercise. Beautiful colours and presentation. If anyone diserves credit for her contribution this year, in my mind, it is the artist of that deck.

Good luck all, LB
(hides before bottles are thrown in his direction)

Thank you Little Buddha, I am truly touched! I would never have expected any votes with such incredible competition. Your support and appreciation have really brightened up my day!

Many Blessings,

Em xxx

Little Baron

Sidhe-Ra said:
Thank you Little Buddha, I am truly touched! I would never have expected any votes with such incredible competition. Your support and appreciation have really brightened up my day!

Many Blessings,

Em xxx

You are more than welcome, Em. It is always a pleasure to praise those who really deserve it.

I am sure that mine will not be the only vote for your deck ... by a long shot. So best of luck!

LBx

Nina*

LittleBuddha said:
I am sure that mine will not be the only vote for your deck ... by a long shot. So best of luck!
True... I voted for it, too. It's incredible beautiful and captivating... and also happens to be one of the only 'new ones' (that I know of) I like at all. :)

Sheri

I had to vote for the Sheridan Douglas for this year's deck. I love the Victorian Romantic, but I find I am still drawn to the Sheridan for a majority of readings. Frankly, it surprises me because I am NOT a fan of the 70s or anything that comes out of the 70s. I really didn't think I would like the deck at all and I discovered that I can't put it down...I am totally drawn to it. That has to count for something.

I also had to vote for the Thoth for greatest of all time. I just like the totally different take on the cards...and once you clip off all the borders, it really is quite stunning artwork. There is just a power associated with that deck that I don't get from the others. This also surprised me because I didn't care for the Thoth until I got one (to see what all the hubbub was about). I was totally assimilated (resistance was futile :) )

It was hard for me to really choose one for all time, though. I have Tarot of Dreams, The Golden, and several other really great decks, however, I felt that I needed to vote for a deck that has been around for awhile...hence my decision to go with the Thoth.

valeria *dives behind a table before anything is thrown in her direction*

Little Baron

I completely agree with you Valeria. About the Thoth. I did the same. Decks under five years have not been tested by time and are not worthy of that title yet.

But I saw the Sheridan Douglas for the first time today. I really wanted that one. But in real life, I didn't like it that much. My opinions about it have completely turned around.

LB

cirom

LittleBuddha said:
Decks under five years have not been tested by time and are not worthy of that title yet.

LB

I don't wish to rehash old discussions, but I do think these end of year polls have caused the disagreements and conflicts of the past because they are taken A) too seriously and B) out of context.
Your personal opinions and rational about any given deck having to pass some test of time would be a more valid point if the poll was asking what is the 'best' deck by any given criterea. But I don't think that is the intention of the question being asked of these end of year polls. I assumed the question instead is what is your 'favourite' deck, published during the year and of all time. As such within this context, comparing the Marseilles or some other classic with the most untested recent release is more valid. Its a question that can be answered by a less rational and more emotive, transitional response. As such a person's response to either question could be different from the previous year, and change again next year. Their 'favourite' being userped in the interim by yet another pretender to the throne or indeed reversing back to your (tried and tested) oldies but goodies.
By this criterea any decks can qualify, rather than being deemed 'unworthy' by how long they may have been around or for that matter older ones given additional stutus by the same measure.

On the other hand if I'm mistaken and the poll is asking what is the 'best' deck of all time, then that would certainly be a can of worms, but would surely in turn require some further definition, i.e. Best in terms of artwork (subjective), best for reading (subjective), best or most popular in terms of ownership (statistical and favouring decks that have been around for longer). Best in terms of the most requested by querants for readings. etc etc.
The results would be very intertesting and open to never ending discussions due to the various considerations that would influence and complicate the results.
But for now the issue is far less deep, at least thats how I interpreted it, its just what is your favourite deck....at this point in time.
That way less need for bottle throwing :)

Moonbow

Best deck this year [in my opinion]... and not having read with all the decks produced this year.... Sheridan Douglas....... and no one is to argue with me about this, OK? OK? :)

For all time........ Marseilles of course, but don't ask me to be more specific because I have favourites to look at, and favourites to read with, and favourites for size, and favourites for Hermits, and favourites for the box (yep :D), and favourites for the pips.... well you get the idea.

Moonbow*

(if anyone wants to take this outside, I'm game... bring your deck)

Little Baron

At the moment, I am using the Cosmic Tribe. And really enjoying it. For many different reasons.

Even though the poll is lighthearted, I still approach it with serious consideration. I considered more than just my current favourite. I looked at decks in a time scale. Which had lasted and remained in print. And why that might be. Every year, as well as new decks arriving, there are more and more people that turn to the classics - people tune into the Thoth or the RWS. People have a go at the Marseille. As the years pass, longer serving decks aquire that status - the 1JJ, Morgan Greer, Aquarian, Sheridan Douglas, to name a few. And we can see, in many cases, why they were not just a flash in the pan.

Think about music. Razorlight may be your favourite new band. Lily Allen, your favourite singer in popular music. Yep. They have both made an impression in the last few years. But would you give them a lifetime achievement award for their contribution to the music industry? I doubt it. You wouldn't expect to see them up there in the music hall of fame with the likes of Elvis, The Beatles, Madonna and the high-flyers. Not yet, anyway. They may be your personal fave but they have a little further to go and have to prove their worth a little more before they deserve that adulation.

And this is how I see this poll. In the yearly one, you can probably deserve to be a little more frivilous. I chose the Sidhe deck. In 'music award' terms, I would vote for that one as 2006's Best New Comer. It may be someone's fave deck 'of all time' one day, but I personally, think it needs to be out there and work in the world before it deserves such a title.

I appreciate that this is all just a bit of fun. But people's choises change quite quickly. And here, especially. I am amazed by how many working decks some people buy. And some say they love them all. I was kind of surprised by my own vote. I could have chosen 'the tribe', but I felt I needed to give it a few more years under its belt and with me using it before it deserved a considered and responsible vote. Until then, the Thoth is the one that I feel is a good allround player. A great deal of research went into it by a master occultist. It is used by many for readings, meditation, magic etc etc.

But if the poll has no boundaries, then maybe my voting method may be wrong. You may ask 'Who's the King of Rock and Roll?', 'Who is the Grandfather of Soul?' or 'Who's the Queen of Pop?'. I wouldn't expect to hear the name of someone who has brought out a couple of one hit wonders in the last year. I would expect a true star.

LB