10-yr-old son wants to learn tarot- NEED ADVICE!!

Satori

If children have interests we all love to feed that interest...and kids being kids some things they will forget about.

What is important here to me, and yes lots of things have been pointed out by other posters that have been really important and great points, is that when my daughter is interested in something that I also love, we have a wonderful time sharing it. And I am very much aware of trying not to overstep and get all in her face about stuff that I think she should know or look at in relation to whatever the shared interest is.

I think that when my kids ask about psychic stuff or readings or decks, I am there and I make different decks available to them. But I don't worry much about what they are getting out of it.

Like Solitaire* says I just go with it, they will ask me and I will answer. My kids see horses and dogs and cows and birds doing all kinds of interesting things so a few naked bodies in Tarot decks are really not all that fascinating!!! But if they ask, I answer...and I have learned through experience not to go too far with the answer...and if they need more information they come back. And yes, about all kinds of topics.

Also, I look at it like this. We are all at a certain place in our studies, in our own understanding of the cards. We didn't get where we are overnight, and many of us may not remember the first fledgling attempts at learning about some of the concepts we take for granted in Tarot. So really, everything is connected to everything and I think that Satine's boy will make his own connections as he goes along. If he is captured by the stories on the cards, and the mythology that goes along with it then that is great.

Maybe this is the deck that is supposed to trigger all of that in him. I would get him the deck. And if and when he loses interest in it, put it away for him for a later date.

Kids today have so many card games, so a deck is another game set in a way...and as part of that study he will be studying the esoteric themes, albeit unknowingly. I don't think he has to know that he is getting the other stuff. He will figure it out. It will seep in....

I love your story Satine, that your boy has led you on this path, and now he is leading you again...and I think the question is more about your own fears of inadequacy, of not knowing if you are doing it right. And perhaps if you will somehow fail him on this part of the journey, teaching him things you yourself are new to.

I think you actually need to trust your son on this. Trust him to lead you down this path. And when it gets scary or you aren't sure how to proceed, then maybe share some of that with your boy, as is appropriate. We don't always have to have all of the answers. Goodness knows I don't. I actually don't want all the answers!! Where is the fun in that!

You guys are off on such a special journey together, and later in life imagine how amazing your relationship will be because you were able to let this boy lead you. Don't be afraid Satine. You are doing everything right, because I believe we can only do what we did...there isn't any could have should have would haves. Just by being conscious of the process you raise this whole process to a new height.

Can't wait to hear how it evolves!

HearthCricket

I think it is wonderful that he has shown an interest in tarot. Images are a lot of fun to children and there are plenty of child-safe decks out there for him to choose from, as well as sites that show the whole deck online for you to look over before giving him choices you feel comfortable with. I started with tarot when I was just turning 12 and I was young for my age. The only deck out there was the IJJ Swiss so some of those images were certainly dark, like the devil, tower and death card. I had never had a reading done before then. My friend had received this deck and we played with it and memorized the meanings, used the major arcana to tell each others fortunes and the minor to play cards. And it went from there. For me, it stuck. For two of my nephews who saw me read cards, once, and asked if I would teach them, I bought them the Lord of the Rings deck, as they were reading the books, and the interest died quickly! Football and computer games were more exciting to them! So it goes!

As for reading for him, keep it simple. Do a three card spread for him and use a child-friendly deck...something that might specifically interest him, like dragons or something. Also ask him what he thinks he sees in the pictures of the cards. It is amazing with what they come up with. Children are very perceptive and their innocence allows them to speak it right out without any hesitation. And their imaginations soar! I wouldn't worry about it at all. Tarot can be used for a lot of things, and even if for him it starts out as more of a game or starting point to weave a story, it is feeding his mind. Again, just watch the images you feed him, the same as you would monitor what he watches on tv or listens to in music or sees on the internet. And it will all be fine and exciting!

satine

Update

Okay, I just thought I'd let you guys know that last night Cameron asked me if the Native American tarot deck is HIS deck. I had bought the deck at his request but I didn't realize that he wanted to "own" the deck; I just thought he liked for me to use those cards rather than the ones I usually use. At his question, though, I of course said that yes, I bought the deck for him if he wants it. He was excited about that. Then the neatest thing happened. He and his sister, Amelia, divided the deck in half and took turns putting down 8-10 cards in a row and making up a story to tell the other one. Cameron got the giggles about one of the cards, and every time it came up he would say some silly things about a crazy lady holding a duck. Finally I asked, "What is that card that keeps coming up?" He told me and I looked at it and said, "I don't think that's a duck. Let's see what this one card means." So we looked in the little book that came with the deck, and I read about how this Matriarch is intoxicated on life (and maybe a few other things, ha), and she is a shaman who can get and share spiritual messages and who connects with the spirit of the reindeer or carabou, also shown on the card. She's deeply spiritual but possibly vulnerable to excessive use of alcohol and other substances. Interesting stuff. So, he learned about that one card last night, just naturally. I also thought it was precious the way he kept making sure that his sister was treating his cards well-- not bending them, etc. He has possibly seen me acting that way about my cards. ;)

I might add- and I kid you not- that the main life Cameron kept referencing when he was going through that terrible time was a life in which he was a Native American boy. He would cry and say he never got to be a man, etc. I won't go into all that here, but I thought I should definitely mention this detail.

Splungeman

Great story! There was another post awhile back about someone (I forget who) whose daughter was interested in learning the cards. This was one of the responses:

Umbrae said:
this will sound silly at first...but...

Don't teach her the cards.

Have her teach you the cards.

Encourage your children to continue lining up the cards and telling different stories with them. When you get right down to it, that's what a Tarot reader does...We read the story in front of us, using our intuition to fill in any blanks. Children are honest, they say what comes into their heads. I think learning Tarot as a child is great. When they ask you "how" to read the cards, just tell them that they ARE reading the cards doing exactly what they're doing.

It's nothin' but good for 'em

P.S. I'd "lose" the little white book in a receptacle that contains refuse. You children's own meanings are more important than some stranger who wrote them down at the publishing house.

VGimlet

I got my first decks when I was 11, but I was interested in them from a very early age, maybe 7 or 8. Your son is lucky to have family who are interested in teaching him. :D

FlyingWitch

Just let him do what he wants, it's always the best way.. just my opinion of course

sleepingcat

If it's any comfort, I personally see tarot as highly reflective.

It's only going to give back what you give it. An innocent isnt going to pick up a tarot deck and lay cards that start spewing Sex, Drugs, And Rock and Roll, IMHO.

Same way some one who only wants to hear their negative image of real life be renforced will always get The Drama Cards. They wont even see the rest.

I think at 10, it's really important to start learning how people color their own lives, since this is when social interactions start becoming the most important thing. With somthing like tarot, he can learn how he colors his own cards, then start to understand how some kids are going to be "psychic vampires", how some are empaths that take too much, and how others give too much.

Besides, how cool would it be to have a record of your daily draws starting at 10? XD

I'd say go for it, his own mind wont allow him outside his comfort zone. It's nearly impossable. And if it does, he'll learn his own limits that way.

Jessica_Marie

I like the quote about what Umbrae said : "Dont teach them, let them teach you."

When I do readings my 2 year old watches intently. She is always very interested in what im doing. While I was reseting my deck one night she asked where her cards where! So I bought her the Unircorn Oracle since she LOVES horses. She has a favorite card... The pet card since it has a dog that looks like foo foo (our dog falkore) licking, connecting with a unicorn. She uses her cards while I use mine and she loves it! I dont think there is anything wrong with letting them explore with the cards, I think it will help keep these areas of their brain more open and its our special time together.