L'Oracle de Belline

RavenDarkWind

Does anyone have any information on the history or the usage of this deck?

Le Fanu

Which one, Debra? The tarot or the Oracle? I'm curious now.

I knew of a site that had great English translations, but I'm in a rush now so can't look. There is a great book called L'Oracle de Belline en Sept Leçons by Colette Silvestre which seems to have been translated in various languages except English (I read it in Portuguese). I found that hugely helpful and haven't been able to find anything as good in English, although the site I shall try and find helped me a lot.

Philippe

Friend with art history background suspects that this might in fact be contemporary drawings made to look old.

I rather think that Edmond Billaudot was "ignare du dessin" as Edmond and Jules de Goncourt, two among his illustrious customers, said it of him.
That's for the hideous grand tarot. The oracle is much appreciated in France. The horoscope is a redrawing by Belline of the oracle with sometimes different titles and a slightly different order.

RavenDarkWind

Interesting. Is there any record of the Oracle before Marcel Belline, or is it possible that Belline created it and gave it a fictional backstory?

Philippe

The grand tarot and the oracle were drawn by Billaudot (1829-1881), maybe circa 1860. One century later Belline found the oracle by chance, and published it under his name. Idem for the grand tarot. Belline has drawn the "horoscope Belline", which is a new version of the Billaudot's oracle.

Oracle d'Edmond (= oracle Belline) circa 1850-1860 : https://picasaweb.google.com/104554353255343676700/OracleDeBelline

Grand tarot d'Edmond (= grand tarot Belline) same period : http://rozamira-tarot.ru/galeria/albom-grand-tarot-belline.html

Horoscope Belline (drawn by Belline) circa 1960-1970 : https://picasaweb.google.com/104554353255343676700/HoroscopeBellineLHoroscopeBelline

The minors and the names of the trumps in the grand tarot are taken from L'homme rouge des Tuileries written by Paul Christian (Pitois) in 1863.

Edmond was known as a cartomancer having drawn his own cards. I don't see why Belline could not be trustworthy in this case.

Padma

There is actually an oracle deck that was an attempt to redo the Belline. I have this deck, and love it :) It is called the Tarot d'Eltynne but really it is a cross between an oracle and a tarot. The cards have a bit of a Manga style. Medlindaf is a treasure to deal with :) If you click on the "cards" menu choice, you can see each card clearly, with its meaning.

you can see it here!

Le Fanu

This came up in a search;

https://goldenmousedeer.wordpress.com/2011/07/24/252/

Not the page I was looking for but seems quite helpful for those looking for something in English.

I remember when I was reading a lot about this deck a few years ago and I was amazed at how well thought out this deck was and how it all made sense once you started reading with it. A bit like Lenormand in one sense, that you piece meaning together card by card.

The drawings are a bit odd. One of the reasons I don't use it much now is because of the drawings. I don't find them very beautiful. Don't like the Eltynne either. Someone will come along one day and give us a more attractive version, I'm sure.

Catmoon

Which one, Debra? The tarot or the Oracle? I'm curious now.

I knew of a site that had great English translations, but I'm in a rush now so can't look. There is a great book called L'Oracle de Belline en Sept Leçons by Colette Silvestre which seems to have been translated in various languages except English (I read it in Portuguese). I found that hugely helpful and haven't been able to find anything as good in English, although the site I shall try and find helped me a lot.

"O fantástico mundo do Oráculo de Belline" is that the book by Colette Silvestre (portuguese translation) you were refering to??

RavenDarkWind

Someone will come along one day and give us a more attractive version, I'm sure.

If I ever manage to get some cheap graphics software, I'll throw my hat in the ring.