"your name" spread

rwcarter

churruta said:
I'm very interest in this name spread idea, but, when I tried to sort it out in my mind, I suddenly realized that there was no information on what cards go with what letters or letter groups. If I break my names into their parts and, then, just deal out cards for each part, isn't that the same as dealing out cards to the categories instead? In other words, using the example of Tom: T/O/M = Past/Present/Future. If "T" doesn't signify a particular card (and maybe it does; that's my question), then "Past" is equivalent: you deal out the same card for both. If that's the case, then why do we use names at all; instead, we could just use the categories. Catch my drift? Or am I missing a crucial piece of information here (such as which card goes with what letter or letter group)? Thanks for your advice!
Welcome to Aeclectic churruta!

The name John Quincy Adams would be laid out like this:

..Past......Pres........Fut
...J..........O.H..........N.
..Q.U........I.N.........C.Y
..A.D.........A..........M.S

So there would be 5 cards that discuss each timeframe. If John's first name were William, the W.I would go to the Past, the L.L.I would go to the present and the A.M. would go to the future. So William Quincy Adams would have 6 cards to discuss his past, 6 cards to discuss his present and 6 cards to discuss his future. So it's the number of letters in the name that determine how many cards get allocated to each timeframe.

So, no, specific letters don't correspond with specific cards in the deck. The letters themselves aren't important, but the total number of letters is. Mary K. Greer has a method in her book Tarot Constellations (long OOP) for spelling one's name with the Major Arcana. In that case, a specific letter does relate to a specific Major.

Does that answer your question?

Rodney

churruta

spelling one's name

Thanks, Rodney - that is very helpful. I'm particularly interested in the example you gave from Mary K Greer's book in which names are spelled with the Major Arcana. Would you be able to discuss how that is accomplished?

Thanks again!

rwcarter

churruta,

Let me see if I can get Mary's permission to synopsize that information and post it. If I get the permission, I'll start a new thread for it.

Rodney

Golden Moon

rwcarter said:
Welcome to Aeclectic churruta!

The name John Quincy Adams would be laid out like this:

..Past......Pres........Fut
...J..........O.H..........N.
..Q.U........I.N.........C.Y
..A.D.........A..........M.S

So there would be 5 cards that discuss each timeframe. If John's first name were William, the W.I would go to the Past, the L.L.I would go to the present and the A.M. would go to the future. So William Quincy Adams would have 6 cards to discuss his past, 6 cards to discuss his present and 6 cards to discuss his future. So it's the number of letters in the name that determine how many cards get allocated to each timeframe.

So, no, specific letters don't correspond with specific cards in the deck. The letters themselves aren't important, but the total number of letters is. Mary K. Greer has a method in her book Tarot Constellations (long OOP) for spelling one's name with the Major Arcana. In that case, a specific letter does relate to a specific Major.

Does that answer your question?

Rodney

So this whole name and dividing spread is just to focuse on the Past, Present, & Future? not the

Past / Present / Future

Obstacles / Self / Allies

Body / Mind / Sprit / Emotions / Will ???

rwcarter

Golden Moon said:
So this whole name and dividing spread is just to focuse on the Past, Present, & Future? not the

Past / Present / Future

Obstacles / Self / Allies

Body / Mind / Sprit / Emotions / Will ???
The version I was introduced to was focused on PPF, but that's not to say that one can't focus on any triplicity - OSA, BMS, Thesis/Synthesis/Antithesis, etc. or on any other number groupings (2, 4, 5, etc.).

Rodney

churruta

Mary K. Greer

Thanks, Rodney - I'll stay tuned.

Courtnis

How would I???

How would I go about seperating my first name. It is 8 letters. So I came up with these combos that would still have the sum be 8 while divided into 3 piles with the same even number cards on the outside (holy smokes did that make sense because that is how I am thinking it is supposed to be done). Anyway...here are the combos:

3 2 3 = 8 OR
2 4 2 = 8 OR
1 6 1 = 8

Please let me know what you think, or if I am totally going about this wrong.

Maybe I should go ahead and mention that my middle name has 5 letters

and my last name has 6 letter letters.

Any assistance would be great :)

rwcarter

Courtnis said:
How would I go about seperating my first name. It is 8 letters. (snip)

3 2 3 = 8 OR
2 4 2 = 8 OR
1 6 1 = 8

Please let me know what you think, or if I am totally going about this wrong.

Maybe I should go ahead and mention that my middle name has 5 letters

and my last name has 6 letter letters.

Any assistance would be great :)
You want to keep the three sections as evenly distributed as possible, so you would go with:

3 2 3 for your first name
2 1 2 for your middle name and
2 2 2 for your last name
-----
7 5 7 - That would leave you with 7 cards for your past and future and 5 cards for your present.

(It's the quirk of how the names are divided that if your first name were 19 letters, it would be 6 7 6 instead of 7 5 7.)

Rodney

Courtnis

rwcarter said:
You want to keep the three sections as evenly distributed as possible, so you would go with:

3 2 3 for your first name
2 1 2 for your middle name and
2 2 2 for your last name
-----
7 5 7 - That would leave you with 7 cards for your past and future and 5 cards for your present.

(It's the quirk of how the names are divided that if your first name were 19 letters, it would be 6 7 6 instead of 7 5 7.)

Rodney

It's funny how once I see you do it, it appears clear. Thanks for the clarification and I will see what I get :)

rwcarter

churruta said:
Thanks, Rodney - that is very helpful. I'm particularly interested in the example you gave from Mary K Greer's book in which names are spelled with the Major Arcana. Would you be able to discuss how that is accomplished?

Thanks again!
Mary gave her permission, and I've started the Your Name Cards thread.

Rodney