The things I missed in this deck - after 28 years of looking!!

Fulgour

OK :) How about the Salamanders on the Wand Courts?

The Knight's all go around clockwise.

The King's seem to all go clockwise,
but check the bottom of his cloak.

The Page's go clockwise, anti-clockwise,
and some almost seem to stumble...

Attachments

• Whirling Twirling Salamanders.JPG
    Whirling Twirling Salamanders.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 400

fall_guy

Flavio said:
The version of the RWS deck I use is the "Universal Waite" in that one, the light colours didn't allowed me to see the skull in the cup with the laurel crown in the 7 of Cups until someone in my class asked the teacher about the meaning that skull, in summary the laurel crown might represent glory even after death.
I recently got the pocket version of the Universal Waite, and the skull is quite clear on it. Is there a face on the cup next to it (the one filled with jewels)?

levannah60

the ocean...

If you look straight back through the high priestess, you will see the sea. Someone had to point that out to me, before I could see it. And I've been looking at the same deck for years!

levannah60

The prayer beads on the wrist of the Queen of Swords...

firecatpickles

levannah60 said:
The prayer beads on the wrist of the Queen of Swords...
I have recently learned that these are mourning beads, and they are one of the indicators that she is a widow.

Rosanne

levannah60 said:
If you look straight back through the high priestess, you will see the sea. Someone had to point that out to me, before I could see it. And I've been looking at the same deck for years!
I cannot believe I have never seen this before! I even have a framed HP on Art paper (without the Letters on the pillars, curtesy of Fulgour) and have never taken this in. So HP is facing the door into the temple in this card- her back to the sea! I too, have been using this deck for years and years- funny I can find no mention of it in the many books about RWS. Thank you levannah.
~Rosanne

Parzival

Things I Missed in this Deck

There is so much symbolic combination in this deck. Seemingly simple, but always something more that leaps out to mix into the whole pattern of a card . Look into The Star.-- The ground is flowering (red poppies?) while the scene is at starry night. Light permeates earth. The bird stands atop the tree, and two stars reach around the bird. The seven stars with the central star rise together as the waters stream down into pool and ground. The details bring together elevating light and descending waters, with the Human Soul perfectly positioned in the middle. Truly a detailed meditative hieroglyph to admire and ponder.

Rosanne

Frank, you have spoken beautifully about this Star card. I had always thought of the flowers as Bellis, the old English red daisy- sometimes called here 'Our Lady's Eyes' as a reference to Mary's tears reddening her eyes. I like the poppy idea especially. Flander's fields in particular and the souls lost and found there and the hope of a new World. Thank you. ~Rosanne

Rosanne

To add : St John of the Cross said single flowers were symbols of the virutes of the soul; when gathered together into a bouquet, symbolise spirtual perfection. I like this image very much in relation to the Star Card. Maybe the figure on the World card could well hold a bouquet of flowers. ~Rosanne

firemaiden

Rabbit said:
lol the two men in the Hierophant are balding.

er... I think that's called a tonsure.