University Press RWS deck

Lillie

Do they both have the dodgy sleeve on the fool?

The 78th Fool

Hi Lillie,

Yes, I checked both decks and that's something I hadn't noticed before. His right hand sleeve, the one holding the pole, hasn't been coloured in red. It's just the same yellow as the sky, unlike the US Games Fool who has two red sleeves.

Chris. xx

Lillie

Yeah!
That's it.

I noticed it right away, because it's on the cover of the box.
I suppose it got missed out when the colouring in got done.

It's always made me smile.
I don't know why.
I suppose it gives the deck a bit of friendly character.

Morwenna

I had to revive this thread because one of my friends, who I didn't know had any Tarot decks, yesterday showed me her tag-sale find from some time back: a University Press RWS. I'd never seen one in person before and I was astonished at how vibrant the colors were!! She's soooo lucky... The box is pretty battered (also surface-ripped where some tape had been peeled off) but the cards are in great shape! I told her just how lucky she was. (She has at least one other deck as well; she'll probably show me that another day.)

Terrapin

The University Books RWS is really cool. The colors are very electric. Love the blues. It was psychedelic before the Albano was!

Darkmage

This was my very first deck and the one I got from my mother. That and Complete Guide to Tarot by Eden Gray taught me how to read.

It's dogeared and worn and in genteel retirement in a leather bag in a box in my closet. The tuck box got torn and discarded many many years ago. I love it--the only other RWS edition that's come close is the Universal Waite, but still--none of the others I've seen have quite the vibrant colours this one does. And I love the pink backs with the ankhs. When I was first learning to read, it made it easy to shuffle for reversed cards because I'd just turn the ankhs head to head or tail to tail and I knew I'd get a good mix of upright and reversed cards.

I usually use the mini-Waite by USG for public readings as it lives in my purse in a little velvet bag. It just doesn't have the charm the University Press edition does.

Le Fanu

The University Books RWS is really cool. The colors are very electric. Love the blues. It was psychedelic before the Albano was!
Yes. It's funny, people always cite the Albano Waite as the psychedelic RWS (of and if you're talking modern, probably the Diamond), but this deck, the University Books RWS is more psychedelic than the Albano Waite I think.

I love it. I really must use it more often. It has such retro charm.

Sulis

Yes. It's funny, people always cite the Albano Waite as the psychedelic RWS (of and if you're talking modern, probably the Diamond), but this deck, the University Books RWS is more psychedelic than the Albano Waite I think.

I love it. I really must use it more often. It has such retro charm.
I agree, although I've only ever seen it in scans, not real life although I suspect it was the deck that my granddad owned (I remember the backs) but it went missing when he died...

I think the Albano Waite is actually quite muddy looking - it's lovely but not bright and psychedelic as it's often described.

RichardG

I have such a love/hate relationship with UP RWS decks!

Whenever I buy the OOP (pre-copyright) yellow-box USG RWS decks they always arrive complete and without drama.

The University Press decks, on the other hand, are a different beastie altogether!

My first very elderly (but virtually unused) deck arrived minus 7 Wands + two 9 Wands cards. Yikes! I had paid BIG bucks for it on eBay - and was very relieved when I was offered a refund (plus the message "keep the cards -there's a cloud over them" !)

My second red-box set came with two different Introduction cards!
Ugghhhh...University Press decks - they'll be the end of me!

Attachments

• 2 different introductory cards.jpg
    2 different introductory cards.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 234
  • Missing 7 Wands  2 x 9Wands.jpg
    Missing 7 Wands 2 x 9Wands.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 224

swedishfish612

Whenever I buy the OOP (pre-copyright) yellow-box USG RWS decks they always arrive complete and without drama.

The University Press decks, on the other hand, are a different beastie altogether!

My first very elderly (but virtually unused) deck arrived minus 7 Wands + two 9 Wands cards. Yikes! I had paid BIG bucks for it on eBay - and was very relieved when I was offered a refund (plus the message "keep the cards -there's a cloud over them" !)

My second red-box set came with two different Introduction cards!
Ugghhhh...University Press decks - they'll be the end of me!

That's funny! When I got mine, someone had used their pen to switch Strength and Justice. Just scratched out the old numerals and added in the new with a ballpoint. I figure it adds to the charm!