How long does it take to wear out a tarot deck?

Cocobird55

I wore out my Victorian Romantic Gold after using it daily for a couple of years. It doesn't shuffle very well anymore.

Grizabella

I wore out my Victorian Romantic Gold after using it daily for a couple of years. It doesn't shuffle very well anymore.

It didn't even take me that long to wear out mine. The card stock turns to fabric almost. I've had two of them do it to me. They just can't stand up to much shuffling at all.

As for my other decks, there's not a one of them I'd retire yet. The ones I use most show the wear but are nowhere near being unusable.

And a friend gave me a nice, shiny new Morgan Greer that's so laminated that it's still shiny like glass after a couple months of constant shuffling, so that one I expect will out-live me, even though I plan to live to be 100, at least. I love it in all its glassy perfection.

Miss Divine

It's not like I've actually worn out a deck, but I did retire several. Reason why is because they became unpleasant to shuffle. I don't like it when they get that heavy, sticky kind of feeling. It isn't like they stick, it just seems that way. I don't know how to explain it but that's how it feels to me. I definitely have back-ups of the decks I use constantly, unless they are the well laminated US Games decks. I've never retired any of those.
I know many people love well used decks. But honestly, I've been to readers whose decks I didn't like to shuffle at all. That was beyond unpleasant! I was very happy to wash my hands afterwards!!

Miss Divine

Yes if you want to keep enjoying this deck, back-ups are required!
But the second edition has different cardstock. I have a feeling it will last longer and age better.

I don't think the third edition Boho Gothic is gonna last long either with regular use. First edition was aaot better. And Fantastic Menagerie has the worst cardstock of them all me thinks.

Miss Divine

And a friend gave me a nice, shiny new Morgan Greer that's so laminated that it's still shiny like glass after a couple months of constant shuffling, so that one I expect will out-live me, even though I plan to live to be 100, at least. I love it in all its glassy perfection.

I have one of those. It is wonderful indeed. I used to have an vintage Morgan Greer but I prefer the new laminated one. Colors pop more too.

Cocobird55

Yes if you want to keep enjoying this deck, back-ups are required!
But the second edition has different cardstock. I have a feeling it will last longer and age better.

I don't think the third edition Boho Gothic is gonna last long either with regular use. First edition was aaot better. And Fantastic Menagerie has the worst cardstock of them all me thinks.

I have two copies of the second edition.

LupaGreenwolf

I've been reading my Animal-Wise deck since 1999; while I'm not a daily reader, it gets a fair bit of use. I never used a tuck box; I keep it wrapped in a rabbit skin that's then wrapped in the cloth I lay the cards out on, and that's done pretty well to keep it in good shape. I also don't do a hard shuffle with them, which I think has gone a long way in preserving their condition.

feynrir

The tuck box has long since been destroyed. I riffle shuffle btw. Shuffling overhand will usually split cards IME, so riffling works best. My cards aren't warped, either.
Yes, a fellow riffler! *high fives* Cool. Thank you for the details :)

My Aquarian is pretty worn, but it was my only deck for 29 years.

It is in semi-retirement, but I still bring it out once in awhile.
A worn Aquarian sounds beautiful :love:

I have quite a number of decks that are well over twenty years old, and many of them have been very well-used. None of them are damaged: some of them are slightly faded but still quite okay to look at, and a few of them have a softened texture but are still quite shuffleable.

Of course, I don't riffle-shuffle, that tends to wear out decks.

I wouldn't be too worried about your decks' longevity.
Thanks, nisaba! Actually...40% of my curiosity was about preserving tarot decks. And the other 60% of my question was wondering how long it would take to utterly destroy a deck :D

I love the soft feel and lovescarred look of well-used decks. My MM Anna K has gotten quite chippy and I enjoy its uniqueness--though I wouldn't want it warped. I have a warped RWS and a getting-fluffy Thoth, so I am starting to know what I like I suppose.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

MandMaud

I met a reader whose deck had no visible pictures left, they were so worn. Like the H and C on an old pair of taps - non-existent! You could see there had been some decoration on the borders, that was all. She didn't know "which" deck it was, it was just the one her mother had always used... and this reader was in her 50s if I had to guess, so that's more than half a century for the deck. She still used it. I couldn't have known which cards were coming up, but she said she knew by feel.

In two years' sporadic reading I haven't worn any out yet. :D but my Gilded is looking tired. If it were a book I'd say dog-eared, but it isn't folded.