cold reading

MR GREEN

I have been looking at different methods of reading and have come across some ways were the sitter picks the cards and then the reader, reads back to them using the picked cards as insight to the problem/ question asked. To me this sounds like Cold reading, its claimed that the reader cannot give a bad reading as the sitter already knows the answer deep down. and that the reader only helps the client to an understanding ? what do you guys think...

Shade

There are techniques where you let the client choose the card that represents them for the first position or the end they are hoping to achieve (with the rest being) how to get there), but having them select all the cards doesn't seem like Tarot reading.

DownUnderNZer

Cold readings to me are when a person looks at things like the body language of the sitter or uses what the sitter says too much or asks too many questions that aren't really needed.

Examples...

Reader: Fool...I see a fresh start.
Sitter: A new business maybe? Am thinking. ..
Reader: A business possibly. What do you do now for a living? I see you setting up something alone and putting the hard yards in. Won't be easy. Do you have any idea when you want to do it? Just be careful with your finances and...

Not really saying anything that is not already known or new and going off what the sitter has said.

Whether a sitter selects cards or not - to read them it still comes down to base knowledge and/or intuition.

Zephyros

I think there are many methods of reading and that none is really better than any other, even "cold" readings. I think the definition of a cold reading is when a reader spouts out vague, general things that stick to anyone.

Now, those things are usually done by con artists with ulterior motives. Unless you're that, remember that we are, indeed, talking about reading fortunes from pieces of paper. I can't see any method as less nonsensical than another. Whether spirit guides, kabbalah, astrology or simple "intuition," most people would categorize all those things under the same umbrella and think it utter nonsense. So, it doesn't really matter and we really can't say that this or that method is "totally" accurate. One should be very careful not to inject dogmatic views into Tarot, because that will always trip you up.

JackofWands

To me, this is a question in two parts: First off, having the querent physically draw the cards, rather than the reader, and having the reader then interpret them. In my opinion, this isn't all that different from a "normal" Tarot reading, because the reader is still the one who's interpreting everything.

Subsequently, we have a question about cold reading. I think it's actually useful to read the Wikipedia articles on Cold Reading and Hot Reading, just to provide some context.

Cold reading as a technique is, I think, perfectly valid--using general ideas and information that could apply to anyone to focus your readings. After all, in some sense, that's what Tarot is--a set of symbols that could apply to anyone.

I personally implement both cold reading and hot reading techniques in my Tarot readings, and I try to make it clear to my querents that I'm taking a more subjective, psychological approach, and that my readings are more accurate when they help me find the right track. I think that cold reading only becomes problematic or unethical when there's an element to dishonesty t it and the reader is claiming to have supernatural knowledge that they don't actually possess.

And finally, like Closrapexa said, at the end of the day we're reading fortunes on tiny pieces of cardboard. As long as you're open about what you're doing, I don't think it's easy to say that one technique is worse than another, because from an external standpoint, it all seems rather silly.

MR GREEN

Thanks for the reply's perhaps I have an unrealistic view as to readings, thinking that the reader should through psychic ability, synchronicity, or both use the spread to predict, a possible future outcome, or give a psychological reading. without the use of the methods of cold and hot reading. Perhaps I am to much of an idealist.

SarahJoy

Thanks for the reply's perhaps I have an unrealistic view as to readings, thinking that the reader should through psychic ability, synchronicity, or both use the spread to predict, a possible future outcome, or give a psychological reading. without the use of the methods of cold and hot reading. Perhaps I am to much of an idealist.

It seems to me, based on this response, that you're looking for a universal answer to how readings should be done. In reality, all readers read differently. Some use intuition, some use spirit guides or psychic abilities. Some strictly read the symbols on the cards, in a secular approach.

Your thoughts on cold readings aren't necessarily idealist; they're just not universal.

danieljuk

you always post interesting discussions which make me think Mr Green :)

I really enjoy doing problem solving readings which offer a solution or choices and I mostly do them on AT to people online, a few readings are with close friends. So I am mostly not seeing the person or looking at their reactions and I don't ask or research any information about them, unless they give it to me. I shuffle for them on what they are asking. I have started not even looking at their profile on here till after the reading is posted, I want as little as info as possible to stop me having a bias in some form.

I think though I sometimes use cold reading methods subconsciously, I will be really honest about that. I will give the reading and say "who is this person in your life?" sometimes I clearly can see who that person is in their life, other times I don't! So I do offer different takes on the cards, maybe this could mean this in your life or this? I can see that sometimes I am using really generalised blanket takes on cards. I am trying with my tarot learning to focus down more and perhaps be more specific. This might improve as I get more and more experience of the cards.

However in the opening post, my readings don't always end up like that. I don't cold read deliberately or to con the person, I don't take money. I base my readings on what I see in the cards, I give that take first before the person replies, sometimes they say you are so spot on with this! Also not all my readings fit the person, I give the reading as I see it and not what they want to hear! Also sometimes the sitter doesn't understand the reading in their lives when the reading is clearly saying they are ignoring the truth which always makes me smile :) The other thing of course is how many totally ignore any advice you give! They have free will on the info you give, even if they consider it a good reading. Deciphering the spread that is in front of you to the person is the tricky part, I can't guarantee any predictions or solutions I give are 100% right. But at least with tarot and divination you are basing the readings on the symbols, this is a much bigger problem with going to a medium or psychic who just tells you random things. I always feel tarot has a base foundation. But I think you get good and bad readings and my aim it to help the person with those problem solving questions not to demonstrate some amazing intuitive link. I say what I see and then we both figure it out in the reading. someone just channelling the perfectly correct answers scares me a little, how can you verify it or back it up? I don't think it works like that for most readers.

JackofWands

I agree with SarahJoy--I wouldn't call you an idealist. However, I think that a more general reading style--one which becomes more specific as the querent supplies complementary information--is not necessarily harmful or bad. That would only be the case if there was dishonesty or deceit on behalf of the reader. If everything is up-front, I think it's just a different kind of reading. Perhaps one that you wouldn't want to seek out, depending on your expectations of Tarot, but not a bad one.

seven stars

If your motives are pure, and you're sincerely trying to give a reading to help the sitter, I don't see the problem in this. I do it - how can you help but do it? If the goal is to be specific to the person's life, you ask questions & delve deep.

What I'm careful to NOT do is make people think that I came to those conclusions because I'm psychic or have some sort of special magical powers. The special power is listening & paying attention & giving card-based and life-experience based advice & not trying to bilk the sitter out of more money or scare them or touch on nerves that make them cry.

Motives are the key - Tarot is just a tool. One could use kitchen utensils if they had a method of assigning meanings to them.