Minor cards that define a deck

Babalon Jones

RWS really is GD, to me. At least in its original iteration. Some variants not so much, at least not consciously.

But no worries, and thank you. I actually like RWS too but from a different perspective, as so far I don't like it's variants, but grew up with it in a way. And I love the various esoteric study subjects. So Feel free to keep posting, about cards in general if you have any thoughts about them.

JackofWands

I always look at the Seven of Swords and the Eight of Cups. There are other ones, for sure--and Majors as well--but before I buy a deck I try to track down images of those two cards on Google, because if I don't fall in love with them, it's unlikely I'll love the deck as a whole.

Eremita90

Generally I'm interested in knowing how the four Two's are, they are usually some of my favorite cards. I too am interested in the Seven of Swords, which is kind of puzzling to me. On the other hand, I wholeheartedly hate Waite-style Tens of Cups, as philosophically speaking I find Crowley's and Case's understanding of that card more balanced, but all in all it's not a deal-breaker.

As for the Courts, I usually look at the Prince of Disks and that of Wands, but only because they both serve as my significators, and since I'm a narcissistic d*ck I want them pretty :p For instance, the Knight of Pentacles in the RWS is handsome, if you ask me, yet in other RWS clones I find him shallow at best (generally)

Tanga

...and to admit that I am more interested in GD type decks.

No kidding. :)

... there are some that I have more defined opinions about (the twos and threes for example) so I pay a lot of attention to them. Others I struggle more with, like the sevens.

Yes. For the ones that I struggle with - I've just trusted that at some point I'll understand them better. And lo-and-behold I've found that yakking away on this forum to you all - has begun to shed more light on some of these.
In my 'formal' training - my tutoress gave each card a label (not Crowley ones). I have found this invaluable - some of the labels I've changed now.

Can't comment much on Kabbalah either - like Astrology, I just know the bare bones of it.

Generally I'm interested in knowing how the four Two's are, they are usually some of my favorite cards. I too am interested in the Seven of Swords, which is kind of puzzling to me. On the other hand, I wholeheartedly hate Waite-style Tens of Cups, as philosophically speaking I find Crowley's and Case's understanding of that card more balanced, but all in all it's not a deal-breaker.

As for the Courts, I usually look at the Prince of Disks and that of Wands, but only because they both serve as my significators, and since I'm a narcissistic d*ck I want them pretty :p

I love the 7 of Swords!
Label: 'The Sneaky Card' or 'Evasive Manouvers' (Star Trek style thinking here. Captain Kirk outsmarting the exam by reprogramming the computer, or Captain Picard's manouver "The Picard Manouver" - deception in space to save their skins from being fired upon. Sorry! - bit of a Trekki here).
Whenever I see it depicted RWS style - I hear in my head from Star Trek "Evasive manouvers - we're under attack!". With the klaxon sounding in the background.

I always want to know what the Queen of Wands looks like - since I'm forever striving to be her. (it's a bit of a personal in-house joke for me. The Queen of Wands is the epitome of the physically fit and healthy Priestess, dynamic, successful, in the dance.
And I have a number of health conditions that means it's a constant challenge for me to reach her pedestal, as well as having missed the bus for the "Priestess" bit - not likely to come around again until next lifetime I think. However, I can in many ways be 'The Priestess' without actually having the label and status. I am 'in the dance' as much as I can be from my specific perspective.).

Zephyros

I guess Netzach (the sevens in general) is the hardest sphere on the tree of life for me to grasp intellectually. maybe because it is the opposite of reason (Hod). i don't know, it just has so many polarities. On one level, I get it. Ironically, though I cannot grasp it with the left brain, I tap into it all the time while doing art.

I like to think of it as the "work" Sephira, but I'll use a sexual metaphor... the sevens are the uncontrolled, um, "working" part of sex, the actual act itself. It is completely illogical, completely animalistic and beastly. In a way, you're right about being unable to understand it with the Hod brain, the Sevens can only be experienced. Once that is "mastered" you ascend to Tiphareth through the orgasmic "little death" of Death.

Tanga

I like to think of it as the "work" Sephira, but I'll use a sexual metaphor... the sevens are the uncontrolled, um, "working" part of sex, the actual act itself. It is completely illogical, completely animalistic and beastly. In a way, you're right about being unable to understand it with the Hod brain, the Sevens can only be experienced. Once that is "mastered" you ascend to Tiphareth through the orgasmic "little death" of Death.

So... Netzach includes the instinctive lizard brain?...

nina

such a thoughtful point!!!

The sixes seem almost too full of significance. They are at the exact center of the sequence of pips two through ten, and they represent the central decanates of each of the fixed signs: Leo. Scorpio, Aquarius, Taurus. As such they characterize typical properties of the elements: Fire, Water, Air, Earth. Moreover, they are the nexus of eight of the Trumps: Temperance/Art, Death, Hermit, Emperor (GD) or Star (Thelema), Priestess, Lovers, Justice/Adjustment, Devil. The centrality of the sixes and the consequent superabundance of interrelationships in which they participate is staggering and a bit overpowering, whether from the standpoint of a creator or a reader.

WOW. Been doing a lot of personal study on the pips lately and this will so be on my mind for a looong time. Thank you so much.

Babalon Jones

Nina, I agree. I have been dreaming about the sixes lately, due this comment. it has got me excited about creating the fives, sixes, and sevens, more so than before because I can't stop thinking about it in this way, which actually dovetails quite nicely with my current approach to creating the minor cards. Thanks LRichard!