Prague, tarot, esoterica, occultism

Leo77

Holy Crap! I just saw a photo of the Sedlec Ossuary near Prague and I was amazed at how much it reminded me of the Emperor card in BG. Wow.

Krystophe

The Bohemian Gothic Ace of Cups and Ace of Pentacles are also images taken from the Sedlec Ossuary, as I believe is the Ace of Wands and the pillars behind the High Priestess...

Leo77

The Bohemian Gothic Ace of Cups and Ace of Pentacles are also images taken from the Sedlec Ossuary, as I believe is the Ace of Wands and the pillars behind the High Priestess...

Thanks! That just makes it so much more interesting. Though I do with the companion book had a bit more on this aspect of the deck, if they used even more locations that just Sedlec (which they probably did.) I'm a little more than halfway through my first read-through of the companion book and I've found it incredibly helpful with reading the deck.

I'm now looking online at the Tarot of Prague, as well. I might need a trip to the de-enabling thread when I'm finished, lol!

Krystophe

...if they used even more locations that just Sedlec (which they probably did.)

Yes, they did. To name just a few, you'll see the St. Vitus Cathedral rising above the Castle complex in the background of the Six of Cups, and Golden Lane (part of the Castle complex as well) as the setting for the Two of Pentacles...also the Horse Steps, one of the Castle entrances, is the setting for both the Four and the Eight of cups.

Leo77

Yes, they did. To name just a few, you'll see the St. Vitus Cathedral rising above the Castle complex in the background of the Six of Cups, and Golden Lane (part of the Castle complex as well) as the setting for the Two of Pentacles...also the Horse Steps, one of the Castle entrances, is the setting for both the Four and the Eight of cups.

Is the Golden Lane also referred to as Alchemists' Alley?

And how did you recognize all of it? Do you live there? That's amazing.

Are the ruins from the Three of Wands real?

Padma

I'm now looking online at the Tarot of Prague, as well. I might need a trip to the de-enabling thread when I'm finished, lol!

You'll love it. It is weirdly creepy in a cold but charming way - rather like sitting to tea with the interesting and sociopathic little old lady next door, who hasn't quite decided to off you with arsenic....yet!! :D

Leo77

You'll love it. It is weirdly creepy in a cold but charming way - rather like sitting to tea with the interesting and sociopathic little old lady next door, who hasn't quite decided to off you with arsenic....yet!! :D

That... is the most incredible description of a deck that I've encountered yet. And it reminds me of Arsenic and Old Lace, which I adore.

Padma

That... is the most incredible description of a deck that I've encountered yet. And it reminds me of Arsenic and Old Lace, which I adore.

Yes...it rather has that feel to it. I swear it is alive....

and thanks for the kind comment :)

Krystophe

Yes, Golden Lane is also referred to as Alchemists' Alley, and a number of other variations of that...based on the mistaken notion that Emperor Rudolph installed his legion of alchemists and sorcerers in the tiny houses there. (In fact, it was simply housing for men-at-arms and various castle retainers, although Franz Kafka did live there briefly during World War One).

I don't know about the ruins of the Two or Three of wands...they're nothing I recognize, not that that means anything...

I've never lived in Prague, although I have fond memories of several extended visits. It's a wonderful, magical place.

Leo77

Yes...it rather has that feel to it. I swear it is alive...

I know I've only just discovered them, so the infatuation hasn't yet had time to wear off, but to me Baba decks are the Holy Grail of decks (for me). They're like what I've been searching for but haven't been able to find all these years. Theme decks but not just tacked on themes. They have layers and substance (BG and VR) and connection to a real place (Prague and BG) that seems half wild with magic and mystery. They are incredible to me.

I have a sneaking suspicion that once the infatuation dies down, it'll bloom into True Love. I'm so grateful to everyone on AT who recommended the VR to me. It really made everything click into place!