Universal Tarot Rules (split from What cards denote a divorce or separation?)

Laurelle

I am a little confused. One of the universal rules in being a tarot reader is that you are not allowed to spy on people. Meaning that you can only read for the person who is asking. If your client asks you to read about someone else, then you are breaking the universal rule. So if you did two readings for two different people because your client asked you about "the other woman" or his wife than the reading would not be accurate.

You are most likely picking up only on the person you are reading for.

Nikita_

I am a little confused. One of the universal rules in being a tarot reader is that you are not allowed to spy on people. Meaning that you can only read for the person who is asking. If your client asks you to read about someone else, then you are breaking the universal rule. So if you did two readings for two different people because your client asked you about "the other woman" or his wife than the reading would not be accurate.

I'm the one who's confused now..." Universal Rules" on tarot readings ???...And who made these rules exactly... God ???...

Nikita_

And by the way, third party readings are EXTREMELY accurate, whether you like it or not...

gregory

And by the way, third party readings are EXTREMELY accurate, whether you like it or not...
That is very much a matter of opinion. There are many threads here arguing both ways.

And whether or not there are "universal rules", there are ethics, and third party readings doen't fit with mine. The reading tarot_red did is one I wouldn't have gone near. I would have asked for a rephrasing of the question.

Nikita_

That is very much a matter of opinion. There are many threads here arguing both ways.

And whether or not there are "universal rules", there are ethics, and third party readings doen't fit with mine. The reading tarot_red did is one I wouldn't have gone near. I would have asked for a rephrasing of the question.

I know from experience that tarot red is an excellent reader, whose readings provide very useful, spot on insights in whoever or whatever we are involved with, and I really don't see how helping people to understand what's going on around them can be unethical. This moral superiority I find simply out of place.

gregory

I know from experience that tarot red is an excellent reader, whose readings provide very useful, spot on insights in whoever or whatever we are involved with, and I really don't see how helping people to understand what's going on around them can be unethical. This moral superiority I find simply out of place.
I'm sure she's an excellent reader; I have on occasion been paired with her, as I recall. It isn't "moral superiority" to have different ethics. Mine tell me that if someone doesn't ask to be read abouit, I don't have the right to read about them. To me it would be like reading their private diary - off limits. YMMV. That's fine.

Nikita_

I'm sure she's an excellent reader; I have on occasion been paired with her, as I recall. It isn't "moral superiority" to have different ethics. Mine tell me that if someone doesn't ask to be read abouit, I don't have the right to read about them. To me it would be like reading their private diary - off limits. YMMV. That's fine.

Everything we do and usually want to know about in life involves other people...it's not about prying, but knowing where we stand..Does he love me ? Am I wasting my time ? Is there another woman ? I really can't see how questions like these can be unethical, it's only human to ask questions like those, whose answers touch us directly, and affect our lives so deeply

gregory

It's only natural to be nosy. I agree. Whether that makes it OK to ask someone else to help you be nosy is another issue entirely.

Would you read someone's diary if you had reason to suppose it would shed light on something you wanted to know about them ?

Sulis

Everything we do and usually want to know about in life involves other people...it's not about prying, but knowing where we stand..Does he love me ? Am I wasting my time ? Is there another woman ? I really can't see how questions like these can be unethical, it's only human to ask questions like those, whose answers touch us directly, and affect our lives so deeply

And this is your opinion but not the opinion of everyone..

Myself, I read for the person who is asking for the reading and I ask them to make themselves the main focus of the reading.. Yes, stuff about other people they are connected to may show up in the reading but that is not the same thing at all as reading about someone else.
If their question is about someone else then I work with them to find out exactly what they really want to know and we work together to rephrase the question so that they are the focus of the reading..

In my world, the only person I can really change is myself so knowing what someone else is doing in their relationship that doesn't concern me is no use to me at all.. How I deal with my feelings about them or their other relationship is useful and that applies to people who come to me for readings too.

And to top it off, I don't think a reading about someone who I'm not really connected to will even work.. I see loads of 'what does he think of me?' questions in the readings forums these days and I can't see how those questions are useful or even how you'd do them.. In my experience, tarot is not a mind reading tool and doesn't work well when used as one.. I think a lot of problems people have with tarot stem from their unrealistic expectations of it.

gregory

Thanks, Sulis - my position precisely.