Metallic Decks

EmpyreanKnight

Disappointed with the Truth Seekers tarot. Not foiled in the way l imagined. So l may now go for my original idea of getting the Golden Universal. Just now and again we need a little bit of sparkle in life :)

Oh yes, thoughtful, you really should! Aside from perfectionists who utterly detest the deliberate scuffs on some of the gold foil, I've not read of anyone who repented of their purchase. Trust me, with all the gold on display it just didn't matter. Or maybe it didn't because I was forewarned. Anyway, I'm sure it's bound to elicit gasps from some of your querents. :)

EmpyreanKnight

EmpyreanKnight, the thread about decks we love except that ONE card reminded me of this... Lo Scarabeo has a gold-foiled deck called the "Golden Tarot of the Renaissance" or sometimes the "Gold Estensi." There is a single card in this deck - the 10 of Denarii (Pentacles) - that has NO gold foil on it whatsoever. It is the only card in the entire deck without foil, and it is very IRONIC that a card representing wealth should be the card with no gold. I started a thread about it here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=235870.

Apparently this was deliberate on the part of LoS, or maybe even on the deck creator. Regardless of the reason, it really bothered me to have this one card not match the rest of the deck. If you think this might bother you as well, I'd stay away from the Golden Tarot of the Renaissance. ;)

Hey lotusindigo, a whole lotta thanks for the heads up! Ah, but that was one of the decks I was eyeing, along with the Tsar, the Botticelli, and the Klimt. I very much dislike unpleasant surprises, and thanks for sparing me this. But the art is really sumptuous, and perhaps I may be able to overlook that card for all the richness of its sisters. Let's see though.

I just wonder, why does LS do this to their metallic decks?

FLizarraga

Empyrean, there are other reasons why the Renaissance, albeit drop-dead gorgeous, is not a reading deck for a lot of people. Only 17 cards remain of the original deck, and the rest were recreated for this edition using as sources the frescos of some Renaissance villa whose name escapes me at the moment. The choices made, however, particularly in the minors, make it, let's say, somewhat idiosyncratic.

I have the Klimt + mini, Renaissance, Universal, Botticelli, Visconti, Tsar, all of them in fact. No problems whatosever. I have been using the Klimt for ages. the edges are scuffed but no wear on the gold.

LeFanu has made an excellent list of LS golden-foiled beauties. And they are pretty affordable, so in time you can own them all, including the inscrutable Renaissance.

And then of course you can move on to metallic ink decks.... which is a different ball of yarn altogether.... })

EmpyreanKnight

Thanks for the info, FLizarraga! But . . .

LeFanu has made an excellent list of LS golden-foiled beauties. And they are pretty affordable, so in time you can own them all, including the inscrutable Renaissance.

And then of course you can move on to metallic ink decks.... which is a different ball of yarn altogether.... })

I could have sworn you were trying to enable me with this. I may have decided that next year would be my year of metal decks (just look at those beauties, lawd awmighty!), and I may have a list of these decks ready to order, but metallic ink decks, really? What fresh hell is this?

schizandra

Hey lotusindigo, a whole lotta thanks for the heads up! Ah, but that was one of the decks I was eyeing, along with the Tsar, the Botticelli, and the Klimt. I very much dislike unpleasant surprises, and thanks for sparing me this. But the art is really sumptuous, and perhaps I may be able to overlook that card for all the richness of its sisters. Let's see though.

I just wonder, why does LS do this to their metallic decks?

You're welcome. :) TBH, had I known ahead of time that the 10 of Denarii was without foil, I probably still would have purchased the Golden Tarot of the Renaissance, simply for the sake of having such a lovely deck in my collection. It was (like you said) just the unpleasant surprise that left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

FLizarraga, what are these metallic INK decks of which you speak?? :D

Thoughtful

Oh yes, thoughtful, you really should! Aside from perfectionists who utterly detest the deliberate scuffs on some of the gold foil, I've not read of anyone who repented of their purchase. Trust me, with all the gold on display it just didn't matter. Or maybe it didn't because I was forewarned. Anyway, I'm sure it's bound to elicit gasps from some of your querents. :)

l so want to put this in motion, the only small worry is that RWS and l don't get along at all well. Must say though it looks a far more approachable deck as the artwork doesn't look so bleak and awkward. Sorry RWS lovers. This Golden deck so laden with gold has to be a beauty to behold and may be the one l can fall in love with :)

EmpyreanKnight

You're welcome. :) TBH, had I known ahead of time that the 10 of Denarii was without foil, I probably still would have purchased the Golden Tarot of the Renaissance, simply for the sake of having such a lovely deck in my collection. It was (like you said) just the unpleasant surprise that left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

Hey lotusindigo, that's exactly what I was thinking. Same with you, I'm leaning on the PURCHASE! side with the Renaissance. :)

But really, you just had to ask that question, didn't you? If I had hands that reach halfway around the world I'd strangle you (a bit). And maybe look at your marvellous metallic decks over some of your renowned barbecues, and pilfer one or two when you're not looking. :D

EmpyreanKnight

l so want to put this in motion, the only small worry is that RWS and l don't get along at all well. Must say though it looks a far more approachable deck as the artwork doesn't look so bleak and awkward. Sorry RWS lovers. This Golden deck so laden with gold has to be a beauty to behold and may be the one l can fall in love with :)

Yes, while I do prefer the original RWS over the Golden Universal because it's more mystical and because its images were the ones I grew up admiring, the Golden Universal is warmer and more inviting. That said, if you have a copy of the Universal Tarot, the Golden Universal is precisely that, just with gold accents added.

By the way, if I may suggest this, the canonical 78 Degrees of Wisdom and Fenton-Smith's The Tarot Revealed were hugely helpful in breaking me into my RWS studies. Have fun with your journey!

Thoughtful

if you have a copy of the Universal Tarot, the Golden Universal is precisely that, just with gold accents added.

By the way, if I may suggest this, the canonical 78 Degrees of Wisdom and Fenton-Smith's The Tarot Revealed were hugely helpful in breaking me into my RWS studies. Have fun with your journey!

l have a pocket Universal re-coloured by Mary Hanson Roberts and is the only Rider tarot that l actually can begin to relate to. l bought the Centennial hoping this was the one, just cannot get on with it. Will still give thought to the Golden though.

As for books l have read plenty of those pertaining to RWS, l have small breakthroughs then it all goes backwards again. Don't know what it is apart from perhaps the artwork does not come alive for me. There are decks that absolutely sing and others that are just mere cardboard pictures.

Gone off topic a bit here sorry. Thanks for your comments :)

FLizarraga

What fresh hell is this?

Sorry, guys, I didn't mean to leave you hanging. I have been busy, and I was sure someone else would pick up the clue and chime in. I'm surprised they haven't.

Well, the Baba gold and silver decks, of course! They use a layer of metallic ink instead of foil, so the effect is a lot more subtle; also, a lot more magical. The two most famous ones are the Victorian Romantic Gold (which I recently was lucky enough to score --yay!) and the Bohemian Gothic Silver (the ONLY silver deck and my personal Holy Grail deck). But they also made gold versions of the Bohemian Baroque Cats, and I think the Alice.

They are all special editions (the VR Gold and the BG Silver are only 500 copies each; don't know about the others) and can cost a pretty penny. I was fortunate to get mine for a very reasonable price, but it was still a sacrifice. Worth making, though, as I found out.

There are threads and threads about them; about a myriad others, mine is the most recent: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=244500

"Fresh hell" indeed, Empyrean...... })