Fairy Tale Tarot (Hunt) 0 Card Innocence

DragonFae

The 0 card in Hunt's deck is called Innoncence and depicts Little Red Riding Hood...

0 Innocence (Little Red Riding Hood) This card is The Fool in traditional tarot decks but in the Fairy Tale Tarot we have The Fool represented by Little Red. In my opinion, The Fool is complex. Always representing the querent in readings, The Fool is about the journey through life with opportunities and challenges.

The tale of Little Red Riding Hood is a perfect choice. She starts out with a purpose but is easily distracted from it. She is innocent and trusting without the ability to "read" the wolf's intentions. She is also filled with hope and good cheer. She is joyous in her journey. So like any of us, young or old, who embark on a new adventure, a new phase of life, new dreams, or simply a different outlook on life. It makes us feel more fully alive!!

The tale reminds us that there are dark forces (evil, perhaps) or distractions on our journey through life and if we are to reach our "destiny" we must "learn" from our experiences. Not be stiffled by them, not frozen with fear...simply aware of them. I would not suggest we lose our positive outlook or belief in the beauty of life. But rather we embrace it more fully through our awareness of the realities of life. In the end of the tale, the woodcutter, saves both grandmother and Little Red. Bringing full circle the journey....a beginning, a purpose, distraction, challenge and certain failure, then rebirth.

Honestly, there's even more I could say about this card and fairy tale but this is a beginning. That is why I started with Little Red....the beginning of a journey. When the time is right, more details, more connections, more possibilities will present themselves. That is the multi-level quality I have been describing. But like a good fairy tale, the story shall unfold in due time.

For additional thoughts see:

http://enchantedfairytales-ginger.blogspot.com/search/label/0 Innocence

DragonFae

Does anyone know "different versions" of Little Red Riding Hood? I don't mean ones that are slightly varied in endings, telling etc....I am looking for the story but in different countries/cultures...The one is the book is French but I am sure there are others...maybe by different names...

Any suggestions or links???

EDITED: I'm answering my own question...check this out the story in lots of different countries....can't wait to start reading them...

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type0333.html

Genna

I find that the story (Lisa´s edition) says, that when you are innocent, trusting and good, life somehow conspires to shield you from evil. Something about guardian angels there.

DaisyDragonfly

Dragonfae, I hope you found lots of good versions!

The best source for Fairytales, I've found, is the SurLaLane website (http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/introduction/index.html). They've not only got links to all the best-known versions of a particular fairytale, they often also have links to associated scholarship/research.

Little Red Riding Hood is a particular favourite of mine. I'm never quite sure whether she is innocent, or whether the Wolf is. After all, the wolf is just following its nature. Little Red Riding Hood, on the other hand, wanders off the beaten track despite her mother's warning and, as a result, causes a whole sequence of events to unfurl. Luckily for her, it works out well for her. The same can't be said for the grandmother and the wolf...

;)

DragonFae

Thanks DaisyDragonfly....I've been to that site but only skimmed it...I need TIME to really do all the reading I want to.

Interesting perspective about the wolf only following its true nature. And also it seems to me that one could say that the story ends incorrectly....in terms of real life....I mean when you don't listen and do whatever you want....its likely you are going to come to a bad ending and there's not always going to be someone around to SAVE you.......at least thats the way it is in my world....I'm not living in fairytale land...LOL.

In addition, I believe that each of us...are all the fairy tale characters at once....like we have inside us Little Red, Grandma, the Wolf, and the Woodsman (or aspects of such) Either ALL at one time as parts of our personality or at different junctures in our life.

Mi-Shell

When I started reading the book I decided to take Lisa’s advice, to FIRST looooook closely at the cards and feel deep inside the image for its message and personal meaning to heart and follow it.
This is, what I see and feel, looking at this first card:
A young girl walks through the Forest alive with Tree Spirits and filled with beautiful Flowers. The girl seems to be out, gathering some Flowers - or maybe Herbs into her basket, adding them to the pick nick lunch inside. She is accompanied by her powerful and attentive Animal Guardian, the Wolf, who keeps a close and loving eye on her. The red cape she is wearing speaks of her Life force and of her future. also the future of her soon becoming a woman. A red kerchief or cape is often a sign of menarche, First Blood. :)
The Tree Spirits are smiling lovingly and encourage her. In front of her grows a cluster of Amanita Muskarina mushrooms = Fly Agaric, powerful Medicine to find trance and visions. They are a little out of place just across from the beautiful summer flowers. That they sprout just ahead of the season and just ahead of her is an auspicious sign of her path of transforming from a little girl into a Woman of Power. Her Guardian Wolf can't wait, until she discovers them and ads them to her finds in her Medicine basket. :)

Mi-Shell

Oh yeah, I know, what you guys think: Just lousy old Mi-Shell again, seeing stuff that has nothing whatswhoever to do with the fairy tale of little Red Riding Hood and the big bad Wolf....
But that’s just the thing: When I was little, maybe up to 6, THIS is what I would see recognize and understand, seeing this card.
And then, at 7 in school the way all the other kids - and besides my father all the other adults would have a completely different viewpoint:
The big bad Wolf!
Wolf, E’eren Börü is my and my dad's Clan Guardian and my father hated, what the huntsman/ woodsman did to the Wolf and how cruel He died.
When the Wolf ate the Grandmother and little Red Riding Hood, you see; that is Supposed to happen! Maany times over!!
An sick Elder that is devoured by his / her Clan Guardian will come forth again rejuvenated and healed!! And little Red Riding Hood too would have her first experience of being eaten by her power and come back out transformed.
I met my Wolf Guardian when I was not even 4 and He jumped right into me. I have been eaten by Wolves probably a hundred times since then - or maybe just a 50 times because the other 50 times I ate/ devoured the Wolf, in need of His Power and wisdom.
(Last time it happened was in my dream last Sunday night when He just gobbled me up in front of all the “people” who wanted me to do just one more teaching day, one more speech, make one more crazzzy design , go to... just one more..... Snap, grumpfff ...and I was GONE! Out of there! Yaaaay! Thanks, Wolf!!)

When I was little, I came out of school and complained bitterly to my father, because I got hazed after telling in grade 1 that the Wolf was my friend and I LIKE Him. That was when my father pointed out to me, that this is, how we were different and that the deeper meaning of the old tales are obscured and changed and most people do not even know of the true metaphors and Powers behind them...

keeks

0: Innocence

An initial description:
The wolf on the path almost blends in with the gray of the trees. The trees at the forefront of the scene are garnled with hidden faces; it almost as if they are the embodiment of the lost souls along the way, watching over the young ferns below them like old mothers. One tree (right) has a snail on it, similarly a spiral snail's shell is on the path behind Red. Before her on the path are 3 red and white shrooms (reminding me of alice in wonderland), signifying the psychedelic shamanistic nature of the journey before her. Red is a pretty blonde child in a traditional outfit- the blue mary janes, sunflowers and blue/white skirt (Again, alice in wonderland-esque) signify her childish nature. She's holding a closed flower in one hand and a picnic basket in the other- a red and white tablecloth is peeking out, showing her careless nature. The wolf is grinning friendly like and holding his paws together; his bushy tail is curled like a shepherd's crook almost. The opposite side of the path is decked in red, white and pink flowers. When reversed the large face that smiles in the tree is frowning.

Preliminary meanings: The innocent is beginning on a shaman's journey. Childish and careless, she doesn't see the wolf waiting to catch her. The trees represent earth and the wisdom of those who have gone before you. The story of red riding hod exemplifies "Innocence" well. It signifies the happy go-lucky individual who floats along in life barely coping and thinking things through.

The basic fairy tale from once upon a fairy tale:
Little red riding hood was going to her grandma's to bring her food. The wolf tells her to pick flowers and eats the grandma, and then little red. A huntsman cuts him open, freeing them and then fills the wolf with stones, killing him.

personal significance:
Little red is the essence of innocent; she is trusting, gullible and carefree. Despite this, she manages to be very lucky. And luck and innocence seem to go hand in hand; perhaps to be lucky one must be an innocent at heart. Innocence to me means bliss, carefreeness, being naive. An innocent is child-like; full of wonder, hope and joy- all things we lose as the world and life press around us.

book symbolism, etc:
You're currently wandering the unknown. You rely on impulse. Spirit will help you along the way, but watch for tricksters.

variations of red riding hood:
-Perrault's: The end of this version is Red and grandma being eaten. The moral is to never talk to strangers. (french)
-Little Red Cap: This is the version that came with the book (German)
- The Grandmother: This one is very different! The wolf and Red eat grandma and drink her blood. Red is a "slut" and gets naked but has to pee and runs away. (French)
- The true story of little golden hood: Grandma's not home. Red gets naked except for her hood which is a magic invisible hood. Granny comes home and saves her by opening her sack and drowning the wolf in the well. (French)

It's interesting how many different variations there are of this tale.

Traditional meanings of the fool (From Gray's book):
A representation of inexperience. Beginning of life's journey; facing unknown challenges and beginning the cycle. You have ambition for a great goal, but take care to make the right choice.

Parallels:
Both represent child-like inexperience, the care-free attitude, and the beginning of the journey. The similarities in artwork are the presence of the wolf behind (dog in RW), and the rose in hand.

The fool (From Journey of the hero):
Traditionally the youngest, the idiot, the fool. The person who solves the greatest problems is always the one who we doubt- they symbolize the genuineness and integrity of the personality. The dog- helpful powers of instinct- leads him away from the abyss. Fool's wallet is full of unused knowledge. His goal IS knowledge- he knows nothing or does not use his knowledge. It stands for the cheerful uncomplicated side that tries out new things until it succeeds or loses interest- happily. Archetype is the child/simpleton, and it's a reminder to try out new things joyfully!

Related to Innocence:
Red is the child and she ignores her mother's warning, not using her knowledge. The wolf seems to be the opposite of the dog, he leads Red off the path and then eats her. In this role he seems to portray the classic cycle of life; killing and eating. The wolf is a cunning trickster, there to teach Red the importance of heeding advice and using her knowledge. Red is cheerful and simplistic; she is easily fooled by the wolf's "good intentions" and costume changes. Likewise, her grandmother, a wise figure, is an example of unused wisdom for falling for his lies and letting him in. The trees in the background are similar to the cliffs; they give a sense of the massive, heavy wisdom of an older forest.

Meditation/writing jump off:
The trees stand solemnly, watching. Their bark covered fingers rustle in the stillness, grasping. The wolf stands behind me, his voice whispering twistedly, like the demon in my subconsciousness. The basket in my hand is heavy and the rose in the other, beautiful. Should I pick the flowers or heed mother??