Will Lenormand stay pure and simple or not

shadowdancer

Hope this doesn't sound as contentious as the opening question suggests, but is more a point for musing I guess.

When I learned tarot many years ago, there were few books on the subject and nowhere near as many decks as there are now. I was taught by a guy over a period of 5 weeks and other than the nuts and bolts of key phrases, tying those in with the RWS led card imagery etc - that was it. And it serves me well to this day.

Fast forward to now, and we have a shedload of decks, books, systems, systems within systems etc. It has absolutely snowballed and I did raise the question some time ago as to whether we as users of tarot have perhaps made it more complex than was initially intended, or whether we have made it more complex than it needs to be. That opens up questions as to why, and whether it is going off at a tangent. No answer from me, just a thought. Instead of calling a duck a duck when that is what is in front of us, I suspect sometimes we feel we have to go deeper. And it made me have sympathy for those learning tarot in 2013 instead of back in the 80's when I learned. It must be absolutely mind blowing.

Anyways, as I understand Lenormand is only just rearing itself in English speaking countries and is still relatively 'new' as a system. Yes some decks are sprouting up, but still not many books.

So my question is this: Will it remain a pure and straightforward system based on its roots and historical usage, or will it be changed, adapted, enhanced, manipulated, extended etc in the same way tarot seems to have evolved. And if so, will that be a good thing, bad thing or what?

Personally I suspect there will be a flood of books to the market with each author giving their take of the sytem and in 10 years time it may not be used in the same way it was perhaps in years gone by in Europe. Therefore I am not sure it will still be strictly speaking Lenormand. Some may be bandwagon jumping and making the most of the fact there is a fresh and relatively untapped market. Some may be genuinely offering something they believe is of value to enhance this system of using cards. Some may well muddy the waters and cause confusion.

I am new to this, and have my one and only deck (if the meanings are the same for each card I see absolutely no need to have different decks) and my first and hopefully only book on their way to me. I am excited and feel how I did all those years ago when I learned the tarot.

Just posed this as a thought really. I had an hour long chat with my partner about it, and we both realised human nature is a complex thing indeed. :)

SwampLady

Things always change and evolve. Sometimes it doesn't make things better, but I love looking at all the other Lenormand decks. And to be honest, before I got my deck, I was drooling over all the different Lenormand decks I saw. Then I got my deck and suddenly I have no desire to have any other decks right now, while I learn.

I do think, much like tarot, authors, readers and artist will put their spin on it and it might change. The great thing I have learned in just listening to a few videos and studying, is you don't have to follow along. If the original simple straight forward meanings work for you. stick with them.

But you have me curious. There is a class I am trying to save up to take, starts in June I believe but a few books might help me while i study and wait. What book do you have coming into you.

DownUnderNZer

Two German women taught me the GT and that is the only system they knew although they did have differing views on 2 or 3 of the cards.

I think it has changed with the no layout card spread and now random card draws ....also maybe the 3 x 3.

So maybe more systems. As for card meanings I think that could be hapening too as one card I would not have used for a person I saw someone do the other day as a King was on the inset.

And maybe the French system is a bit different to the German one.

Just like a language it can modify or change over time. eg English/Japanese/Maori.

shadowdancer

The book I have coming is the "Secrets of the Lenormand Oracle" by Sylvia Steinbach.

Richard

Hope this doesn't sound as contentious as the opening question suggests, but is more a point for musing I guess.

When I learned tarot many years ago, there were few books on the subject and nowhere near as many decks as there are now. I was taught by a guy over a period of 5 weeks and other than the nuts and bolts of key phrases, tying those in with the RWS led card imagery etc - that was it. And it serves me well to this day.......
If you read The Pictorial Key to the Tarot, written by the author of the RWS, you may change your opinion of how "pure and straightforward" the deck was when it was conceived. What has happened is not so much that Tarot has been made more complicated, but rather that more information has become available about the decks which were conceived in the first half of the twentieth century.

ETA. Your concerns are unfounded. It will not happen with the Lenormand, because it's conception was not esoteric.

DownUnderNZer

The book I have coming is the "Secrets of the Lenormand Oracle" by Sylvia Steinbach.

I have had that for about 4 years and hopefully it is the new one out she was sposed to revise with no grammar mistakes or misusing the wrong star sign in some places as an example.

It is very confusing too that book if you dont get her system.

Pairs were helpful, but limited in meaning. You will see what I mean when asking certain questions and you get something like BEAR and GARDEN: Restaurant, Financial Prosperity etc and you are asking: What does she need to know about her new accounting job? :D:D:D

However, there are very few books out, and that is not bad to get started on learning a specific way to use them.

Teheuti

Will it remain a pure and straightforward system based on its roots and historical usage, or will it be changed, adapted, enhanced, manipulated, extended etc in the same way tarot seems to have evolved. And if so, will that be a good thing, bad thing or what?
Yes, yes, and yes.

I don't know how far back the books in German and French go for Lenormand, but it started out with one layout and brief meanings. People who used it frequently adapted it to their own situations and mixed in general cartomantic techniques (like mirroring, counting and Houses). More recently some of these tweaks have been standardized by authors of books and correspondence courses. Brazilians adopted the deck quite early and made their own adjustments.

As English-speakers jumped on the band-wagon, we do as we usually do and started "owning" it in our own way with tons of new decks and new books that are rolling off the presses as we speak. Some will follow a "do-it-yourself" model, some will espouse the wisdom of a lifetime of experience, and others will focus on a "return-to-the-source" basis. People will have a choice or will mix-and-match.

And so, I predict we will change, adapt, enhance, manipulate, extend, and massage it. As a kind concretization of a particular meme it will continue to evolve. We will also return to its roots wherever possible.

And, yes, it will be a good and bad thing.

Just my opinion.

greatdane

It seems things change for many reasons, but I have noticed that in order to sell something, people sometimes try to position themselves and their deck (whether tarot or any type of oracle) as something different, not just with images, but in interpretation, so it will become the next big NEW thing. Things also can evolve naturally. I thought how much can Lenormands really change, but then looking at earlier tarot decks, I bet there were people who may have thought the same thing about that. I think people tend to read and to gravitate towards deck they feel comfortable with anyway. I wonder what the tarot, oracle, lenormand world will look like in ten or twenty years from now....or if we will be using holograms instead of cards :).

SixDegrees

Personally I suspect there will be a flood of books to the market with each author giving their take of the sytem and in 10 years time it may not be used in the same way it was perhaps in years gone by in Europe. Therefore I am not sure it will still be strictly speaking Lenormand. Some may be bandwagon jumping and making the most of the fact there is a fresh and relatively untapped market. Some may be genuinely offering something they believe is of value to enhance this system of using cards. Some may well muddy the waters and cause confusion.

You must be a cartomant--I think that this prediction is spot on. :) The contemporary new age market values profit and getting the scoop much more than it does tradition or quality (see Katz and Goodwin's "Learning Lenormand" for strong proof of this fact). That being said, I'm not sure that we should grant tradition the exclusive ability to deem what is and is not properly called Lenormand. From what I know, the history of the deck is far from uniform.

Personally, I'm waiting for Doreen Virtue's "Angel Lenormand." })