THE ENGLISH LENORMAND. Mary Greer

tarot heart

If you want to understand the GT, Iris Treppner's course is excellent. Absolutely excellent. You can find it here. This site is in German but her course is available in English and German. You can also find a wealth of information (in English) about the GT, other spreads, meanings and a lot more here.

Both of these sites offer the very best information on the Lenormand currently available in English.

Yes, Tag is correct once again. The Treppener course is excellent and what I used to learn. Highly recommended! Also, Andy's website is an excellent resource. I also like Malkiel Dietrich who you can find on youtube. I really like that he is all Lenormand and playing cards. He doesn't do tarot at all. I really like him for that. Tarot people find it too difficult to not mix the two systems.

Stay away from tarot people who are hopping on the Lenormand bandwagon with little experience. I have been reading Lenormand for over 4 years and I would not dare to call myself an expert or put out a book. It takes time and practice to achieve a level of expertise before you can teach the stuff. Just my two cents.

Tag_jorrit

Stay away from tarot people who are hopping on the Lenormand bandwagon with little experience. I have been reading Lenormand for over 4 years and I would not dare to call myself an expert or put out a book. It takes time and practice to achieve a level of expertise before you can teach the stuff. Just my two cents.

Two cents? No, if you are serious about learning Lenormand cards and not a jumble of newbie ideas, TH's advice is worth a $1M.

rylla

The book is mainly a transcription of the original text which you can read here, for free if you like.
http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...=1175523&objectId=3283055&partId=1#more-views

Thank you very much for the info auntie.

ETA:
I never heard of Malkiel Dietrich but I am looking forward to check him out, thank you tarot heart.

Beside others (exchange of ideas, decks creation, trade, so on) AT is such a great place to get information just about anything related to its scope! I'm impressed, over and over! (which reminds me that my subscription is about to expire and not to forget to renew it! :)

tarot heart

Rylla,

Malkiel used to have a lot more videos but it seems he took some down unfortunately. Start with the one where he gives definitions of all the cards and write them down. You will come to these again and again. Malkiel is really excellent. Each video is better than the next and he will add things to the card information so pay attention. He is truly one of the best. You can also find him on fb, even though I hate that dreaded place. On youtube he has videos in both German and English, just look for them. Good luck.

Teheuti

I didn't write the text of the English Lenormand book - I simply found it when doing a search on the British Museum archive page. I wrote a blog post and let everyone know of its existence. At the time only the cards were online. Marcus and Tali made a trip to the BM and copied the pages which they printed up as a booklet, and very nicely gave me part of the credit for it. In the meantime, the BM photographed the book and made all the pages available.

You can now read the whole book and see all the cards here:
http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...1&assetid=1175525&objectid=3283055#more-views

It is from 1796, and the cards are called "coffee-cards". It is claimed in that book that they were first seen in Vienna and that this is a translation. While there are morals written on each card, the text makes it clear that the coffee-ground meanings (standard for the 18th century and found with nearly identical wording through the 20th century) are depicted by the cards. The instruction sheet that came with the original 1846 Lenormand deck gives almost the identical meanings for the cards. The main change is that the top and bottom of the cup becomes the near and far Lenormand meanings, and that "clouded" coffee-ground emblems are sometimes described in Lenormand as "with Clouds" (interpreted to mean with any negative card but especially Clouds).

This seems to me to be pretty positive proof that a near ancestor of the Lenormand cards was absolutely coffee-ground divination connected. This doesn't mean that there weren't other sources or influences, too.

Note: there are only 32 Coffee-Cards (or Viennese Emblematic Fortune Telling Cards) of which 2 aren't found in Lenormand, so if this is the deck that was adapted by Hecktel in 1799 and made into the Game of Hope, then he added several images (called emblems or hieroglyphs), modified a couple and put the playing cards on each.

Teheuti

For what it's worth I agree with Le Fanu. I don't think this book is proof positive that the symbols are connected. I think it's a stretch to say the connection is definitive. A good deal more research needs to be done in order to say the hypothesis is true.

When Rae Hepburn did the Tea Leaf Oracle, many symbols/emblems were in her deck, yet no one said they were connected to Lenormand. I truly believe that tea leaf/coffee grain readings were separate from the Lenormand cards.
From the 1796 book that came with the Viennese Emblematic Fortune-Telling Cards:

"With regard to the figures represented on the cards, it may easily be imagined, that they will not appear quite so plainly in the coffee cup, some degree of resemblance being sufficient, and a fertile imagination will easily supply the rest. Thirty-two figures have therefore been chosen, though the grounds in the cup may perchance represent more."

"This pack of cards which is called the coffee pack, because the figures are borrowed from those represented by the grounds in the cup, ... "

Could it be said any plainer?

Teheuti

I'm just curious if Le Fanu, TarotHeart and others have had a chance to look further into the connection between coffee-ground meanings and Lenormand? Have you read the BM book yet and are you still convinced that there is little 'grounds' for a connection?

La Force

Thanks Mary for the links, I have enjoyed the images and a good read. I also read info on your blog.

From what I have read and studied, I feel they are a Lenormand deck. but that's my opinion, I'm not an expert, historical, well renown individual with load of knowledge and experience. bottom line they are to me, great with coffee too.

La Force

Asher

I just wanted to add that someone has made the cards that were in the book...For those who are interested in completion. ;)

I just received a set of the cards, and I am finding them fascinating. Seeing how they fit into the history of the petit Lenormand cards is interesting, especially since these images were derived from reading coffee grounds.

They are a great addition to the book, which did not reproduce the images. The cardstock is very nice, and the creator did not attempt a restoration, but a reproduction of the cards, warts and all. They have not been cleaned up (except for a couple of the card numbers), so they look exactly like the cards at the British Museum.

I am looking forward to reading with them and comparing them with the Lenormand as we know it today.

Winterchild

Fascinating thread... I only happened on the term Coffee Cards yesterday and I am now on the magical mystery bus to find out more. I would say the BM book is definitely a translation as the title is quoted in French as Les Amusements des Allemandes... Hoping to see more detail of the cards on my mac...